Sending probes into the neutral zone

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Reeborg, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I find it odd that the Romulans can send a (cloaked) probe into the neutral zone and it is dealt by Romulans AND the Federation as if it was no big deal. I find that strange. Wouldn't/shouldn't that be considered a violation of the peace treaty? There should at least an official complaint by the Federation. I feel that sending in ships to verify what is going on (with that probe) would be a justified response. Why would the Federation be regarded as the aggressor?

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you referring to the probe in The Defector? The Federation sent a probe too, so I'd say it's even.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

the federation obviously scans into romulan space from their side of the neutral zone, an unarmed probe might be seen as basically the same thing and unofficially acceptable.

:)

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probes are probably peanuts, considering the Feds regularly overlook the presence of Romulan warships within the RNZ. There have been Romulan ships violating the Zone in at least "Balance of Terror", possibly "Deadly Years", certainly in "The Enemy" and "The Defector", again in "Face of the Enemy", and implicitly whenever we saw Romulans in DS9. Fed violations are legion, too. It's just not worth it, going to war over every casus belli out there. But I gather both sides write down these incidents in their little black books, to be quoted in the next round of peace negotiations.

Timo Saloniemi

5. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look at today - Drone flies over country; drone gets shot down; people grumble; the issue goes away.

6. PhoenixClass

PhoenixClass Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, unless those drones start shooting.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...In which case people grumble a bit more, and then the issue goes away.

I guess Star Trek cultures ought to be worried about foreign probes sailing through their space, because any such device could also be a weapon of mass destruction. Apparently, individual photon torpedoes or comparably sized devices can't do that much harm, but you never know whether the probe has a Genesis device aboard, or is a far bigger Dreadnought masquerading as a small probe somehow...

Timo Saloniemi

8. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

I think it is the principle, rather than the size and capabilities of a probe, that concerns the Federation or the Romulan Empire, when the Neutral Zone is violated.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Sometimes, an intrusion by one side suits the other side's purpose. In "The Enterprise Incident", for example, the Romulan commander wanted Spock to send a probe into her Neutral Zone.

10. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

That is true, but one has to be careful. One time, Captain Picard was deceived into returning a Romulan spy back to her people, with all of the information she had acquired.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator