Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yup, you are right. I took both screencaps on YouTube. I tried making one from the DVD, but it came out even worse, with really noticeable scan lines all over the image. I guess there's something off about my screencapping technique. So I opted for the YouTube clip.

As for the distortion: I didn't argue that the old image was more correct or something like that. I was merely pointing out that I had to stretch it to match the remastered shot. jimbotron, the weird aspect ratio is a result of me cropping the image on all sides to hide overlapping effects where one screenshot ended but the other went on.

So, turns out I'm pretty crappy at doing these comparison thingies. :( But still, I think my comparison rather nicely illustrates how much better the remasterd image quality is, even though my sources are questionable. Does anyone have a better shot of the original DVD image?

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Here you go. I chose an earlier frame with a little more of the Enterprise in it, without sacrificing too much more of the station:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/66228

3. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That does look better than my one, thank you! Boy, it never gets old to see how much detail can be brought out of the original footage. :)

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I just thought I'd quote my response from the DS9 thread regarding your third point.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Looking at the comparison, I just wanna say: Thank goodness those rainbow artifacts are gone. I don't think there was ever an episode that featured this shot again after they solved that issue in the later DS9 seasons.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I know there are some people who are down on season 6 and 7, but theres a lot to anticipate on the season 6 bluray: not only the look at DS9, but Birthright itself, Scotty and the Dyson Sphere in glorious hd, The Chase with its beautiful spaceship fx, and trademark classic trek storyline, and of course, Chain of Command, the hot button command episode. Whats more, the trailer actually shows how colorful and glossy the show looks when restored even in later seasons.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Season 6 trailer reminded me of the Season 3 trailer. The Color just jumps out of the screen and it looks absolutely lovely.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's a lot to enjoy with season 6. Season 7 on the other hand, yikes!

I have a soft spot for season 7 though. I really got into Trek around 1992-93, and I caught the tail end of season 6 and all of season 7 as they originally aired. I still vividly remember watching Jurassic Park as a 9-year-old, getting freaked out of my mind, then coming home to watch Descent Part I. :techman:

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too was 9 years old when Season 7 and Jurassic Park came out. For that reason I have a soft spot for that season, even if over the years it's become the weakest. It still has Preemptive Strike and probably my favorite series finale of any show I've ever seen, probably more for nostalgic reasons now than actual plot.

10. jimbotron

All Good Things is bittersweet for me, since it was immediately followed up by the ship and familiar sets being destroyed in the weakest way possible, just to clear the way for a new ship in the next movie. I would have rather seen an even more tired season 8 than Generations.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm right there with you.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The look at DS9 is the only thing making "Birthright" worth considering, IMO.

Yes, though the Dyson Sphere FX were very badly botched, IIRC, and the goofed-up perspective will likely be retained in the remastered episode.

13. jimbotron

That and Data's dream.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Now that's just TOO far!

15. jimbotron

I agree, those are fighting words. :lol:

16. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What really bothered me was the ridiculous circumstances by which the Ent-D was destroyed.

I remember wanting to scream "ROTATE SHIELD FREQUENCY!!!" when I first saw it.

17. jimbotron

It was pretty disappointing.

It was all just a plot contrivance. They didn't care how or why it was destroyed, just that it was. So we got stupid technobabble about messing with plasma coils, instead of a realistic response of them firing until the BOP was disabled. Instead they fire a single phaser blast and then try to run away. It went toe to toe with a Borg cube, and it's getting taken out by a hoopty BOP?

Compare it to ST3, where the Enterprise blowing up actually advanced the plot. In GEN, it was filler.

To add insult to injury, they lift the "coolant leak" bit right out of Yesterday's Enterprise, almost shot for shot in places. David Carson must have feeling deja vu.

18. weissmr

weissmr Lieutenant Red Shirt

omg! :beer:

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Seconded to the billionth power. Motion control miniature shooting was at the top of its game when CG took over in the 90s, and you could sure see the difference. I still watch WAY OF THE WARRIOR and love it but I still can't look at exterior views on ENTERPRISE w/o flinching.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The first five season sets are on sale at Amazon for $45.99 each.