Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a very TNG solution. In other series, they probably would have told Moriarty to F off and shut down the holodeck. Here, they came to a compromise and Picard did fulfill his promise. Everyone was happy in the end.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Just one. Moriarty thinks he was beamed off the holodeck, but he was actually still on the same holodeck. When the crew gain back control of the computer, they end the program. Then they put Moriarty's program in a box where it can continue to run and Moriarty can live in blissful ignorance.

It took me years to get the joke at the end about the Enterprise crew's world perhaps playing in a box on someone's table. Ironically, by the time I got it, TVs were no longer boxes.

3. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your Bluray player is kinda boxy. Does that count? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even if TVs are no longer boxes, it's funny that we can watch the show on flat pads, similar looking to the ones on the show.

Picard's screen in his ready room is an eyesore though. Basically a laptop with one button.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He can probably manipulate everything on the screen with that one button (think of it as a mousepad). It's the future. :techman:

6. tomalak301

I really liked what they did with Birthright I. DS9 looks beautiful in HD, but that dream sequence really got enhanced. That made a fantastic sequence even more beautiful and I appreciated CBS's efforts on that scene.

7. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Of course, once The Doctor gets back from the delta quadrant with his Mobile Emitter and "photons be free" rhetoric, the whole question if it's acceptable to "imprison" sentient holograms inside a simulation or let them out with their own emitters would come up again in Federation circles.

8. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Everything is Touch-Screen in TNG. Your iPhone/iPad also only has one button - like the "laptops" on TNG.

9. tomalak301

Rightful Heir might be a record for number of deleted scenes. They cut a ton out of this episode. Almost makes me think it should have been a full hour, minus commercials.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finally "graduated" to the 2nd disc last night and, with some trepidation, watched True Q. I had remembered it as being a very substandard episode.

It was actually a little better than I thought, with a strong moral quandary and some nice moments, such as Q and Olivia standing outside the Enterprise.

I had forgotten what a gorgeous young woman Olivia D'Abo was. I could have looked at her for hours, regardless of the story or dialogue.

11. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I rewatched Relics with the commentary. It was very enjoyable. Now we know who had the idea to get the original bridge footage from This Side of Paradise - Denise Okuda. I thought I read somewhere that it was Richard James.

Edit: In Nemecek's Companion, he wrote that it was Dan Curry who thought of the footage. Who's right?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  12. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm making my way through the Season 6 set as well and am finding that the first 1/4 of the season feels mostly mediocre to me. "True Q" is an interesting example in that its story elements are intriguing, DeLancie is always fun to watch as Q and D'Abo is an attractive guest star, but for me it has the same limitation as an episode like "Imaginary Friend". It doesn't involve our core characters very much, if at all. Granted, Picard, Riker and Crusher all have their moments in this episode, but overall it's not as engaging because events affect someone who will never be seen again.

Also, I think "Realm of Fear" might be ranked as one of the most dull TNG episodes. "Schisms" has a great creepy vibe and some wonderful moments, but then I didn't remember how much of its last act leans heavily on technobabble. "Man of the People" is another odd one, in that it's fairly mediocre and bland, but somehow watching Troi turn into the Queen Bitch of the Universe is immensely entertaining.

13. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nordic import copies of Season 6 with English packaging are available from Amazon.co.uk for £26 inc postage within the UK.

Bugger waiting for the Italian copies to come down in price.

14. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone else having audio lip synch issues all through the first documentary on disc 6?

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yes and many have reported that. Try skipping or fast forwarding to the end of the video so that it returns you to the menu, then select the first part of the documentary again and start over. Make sure you don't rewind or fast forward when watching as that seems to cause sync problems (at least for me). Only use pause if you have to. Hopefully that helps -- it did on my player. :)

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stuff like that used to be problem for me playing home-burned DVDs, using a cheap and old DVD Player. It beggars belief that commercially produced Blu-Rays on modern players are suffering the same issue.

I am in no hurry to switch format yet.

17. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's somewhat ironic that Moriaty just came out again too early. By the time USS Voyager is launched (which is only a couple years later in-universe), they've got the ability to sustain holograms outside of the holodeck, as evidenced by EMH, albeit limited only to specific locations where there are "holo-emitters" installed. Nevertheless, if Moriarty had only been a couple years later, then Picard would've been able to fulfil the promise to actually let him walk around the Enterprise outside the holodeck. ;)

I think the Enterprise crew's solution is probably much better though, because I doubt Moriarty would've been truly pleased at only being able to go certain places and do certain things within limits of holo-emitters, whereas the holodeck-in-a-box solution gives him a whole universe to explore. :techman:

18. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope Barclay salvaged him from the wreckage of the Enterprise-D, it would be horrible to think he and the Countess were the only casualties.

19. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Assuming they were even still aboard, ultimately I suspect Starfleet would have them safely under lock and key on Earth. Its actually pretty difficult to believe no researcher had Moriarty off the Enterprise previously.

20. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In making my way through Season 6, I revisited "Rightful Heir" and "Second Chances" and found that they rank higher on my list of this season's episodes than I initially thought. I always liked them, but found them more compelling this time around. I really appreciated the discussion of faith, Worf's in particular, in the former episode and the strong character moments in the latter.

The gimmick of "Second Chances" provides a great way to examine both the Riker-Troi relationship along with Riker himself as a character. I'm glad that there wasn't a side plot of jeopardy to steal focus away in the final act, it really just comes down to our Will Riker accepting aspects of himself that he'd left behind 8 years prior. I love that he gives Tom the trombone at the end and they briefly mention Riker's dad, adding a nice touch of continuity back to season two.

Some parts of Season 6 I have found weaker upon revisiting than I did before, but I think these two episodes are granted enough credit for what they accomplish.