Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Feb 9, 2014.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem with DS9 is other than here and various other Star Trek communities, DS9 feels like a forgotten series. They tried to air it in syndication and reruns and those didn't last long. I would love to see DS9 on Blu Ray (Mainly for the behind the scenes stuff) but I can see why CBS is hesitant at the current moment.

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering if bringing back DS9 remastered would draw in new audiences given how the popularity of serialized television has increased. I'd assume it would appeal more today than it did back in the 90s. Either way, it would be in CBS's best interest to have Trek all available in HD not only because Trekkies will eat it up but that they'll be much more appealing to streaming/broadcasting. In the end, it's all about future proofing Trek so nothing looks left behind.

3. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

I don't think it's even about future proofing Trek. It's about keeping one of their biggest franchises relevant in ways that can bring in money.

Even if they just did an upscale job, I can't see them doing absolutely nothing. Would an upscale release be acceptable for hardcore fans like us? No, probably not. Would it allow them to make more money off DS9/Voyager with a significantly less monetary commitment than TNG? Most likely.

That is a good point about serialized storytelling though. It's significantly more popular today than it was years ago. Whether or not that's relevant is something CBS would have to decide.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Honestly, they haven't even "future proofed" TOS or TNG. With the advent of 4K, we're liable to be having discussions about upgrading TOS and TNG again.

I guess the "big question" is: what kind of revenue streams can be expected from a remastering of DS9? Since they aren't jumping right on it, I'm guessing they (CBS) don't see those revenue streams as being significantly more than the cost of the remastering itself (done in the same manner as TOS/TNG).

I'm one who just doesn't see it happening based on the dwindling sales of TNG discs and lackluster disc sales for Enterprise. If CBS truly thought there was a dumptruck full of money waiting and all they had to do to get it was remaster DS9, they would've already struck while the iron was hot.

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

True, though I don't really count that. I really can't see 4K catching on the way many manufactures and enthusiasts hope. The biggest problem being there's way too much media finished at 2K for TV and films, not just the HD remasters of Trek.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right, since the switch to digital editing in the late 90s and early 00s, a decent amount, if not most, of films made since then were post-processed in 2K. The dailies were scanned, and all color correction, editing, visual effects, and other post-production were 'locked in' at 2K as well. If any were to be upgraded to 4K, they would need to undergo the same reconstruction that TNG-HD had.

7. 80ninjas

80ninjas Ensign Red Shirt

Honestly, anyone expecting a full remaster on DS9 is going to be disappointed. CBS has proven that they're not above releasing sub-par video quality Trek (see Enterprise S1-3), so it's really not a situation of "it's either a full remaster or nothing." Doing an upscale would be significantly cheaper than a remaster.

The thing about Enterprise is that it's been available for streaming for some time in the same poor quality HD that was on the disk. DS9/Voyager, however, have been licensed out in SD, so even a crappy upscale job would give them more options for monetizing them.

At the end of the day, however, I don't see us hearing anything one way or another until after TNG is completely out.

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think 4k will take off (in any sort of mass public consumption way) so I doubt it.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I totally understand why a lot of people are proclaiming "4K" will flounder - there's certainly a history of failed technologies to choose from - including 3D in the home, which is currently in its death throes.

However, 4K is not just a new generation of TV's, it's a resolution. I don't think we're just going to stop at 1920x1080 - that's it, forever.

Whether it steadily picks up with the current push of 4K panels, or sometime down the road (maybe years), I do think it's inevitable screen resolution will increase and a new "standard" will be adopted.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the timing of 4K is poor, eventually it will be the standard. :techman:

11. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Certainly not, however there's an argument to be made about whether it's worth rescanning filmed content at increasingly higher resolutions. You'll reach a practical limit at some point, after which you're just getting bigger grain. Not to mention the practical limit of panel sizes versus viewing distance.

I would be very surprised if we ever see old Star Trek shows in 4k, outside of upscaling. I mean, there are current TV shows that will never be 4k, older ones have got no chance!

12. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Agree. From checking the various size/viewing distance charts I've seen on a few sites, it would seem 4K on 80"+ panels is the maximum resolution discernable by the human eye at average viewing distances. I can't many having the wall space for going much over 100" 's!
    You may be right!

14. jimbotron

It's been pointed out that a shot in Chain of Command has been reframed - very zoomed in. It's the third shot in the trailer comparison by TrekCore. Looks like about 25% of the image is gone.

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. raffie

raffie Commander Red Shirt

17. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please note this is only reframed as an artistic choice in the trailer. The final episode is presented full frame as it was in the original episode.

18. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

False alarm! I just checked the episode. They zoomed in only for the trailer!

EDIT: FrontierTrek beat me to it! I should have checked the episode before I posted that! Sorry everyone. :)

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Standing down from yellow alert. :lol:

"Chain of Command" arrived in the post this morning. Looking forward to watching soon.

20. jimbotron

Thanks. Of course you could have avoided the confusion by choosing another shot for the comparison. ;)