Spoilers Season 3 Episode 6 'Scavengers' promo

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Agony_Boothb, Nov 12, 2020.

1. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

The sneak peek scene from The Ready Room was pretty cool this week as well............

2. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of the sneak peek here it is:

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting, that clip from "Scavengers"...

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Noice! That admiral is not as commanding a presence as I'd like, but maybe that's by design.

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Burnham is a mega genius, she saved the Federation in Season 1, saved the galaxy in Season 2 and is now gonna save it again in Season 3! She has already made the astute observation that people know a piece of music and that is unusual.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love that admiral. He just the no-nonsense type I like.

7. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I guess The Beatles still aren't a thing then...

8. fireproof78

Who?

Noah_23, waniel, Markonian and 2 others like this.
  9. Dukat's Major

Dukat's Major Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, the nuBSG musical plot device made my eyes roll. Wouldn't other people notice if a certain melody is popular? I hear Beethoven's 5th everywhere, in all sorts of music, and most people can identify these kinds of patterns.

I really liked Saru's approach to healing and growing the Federation as reminiscent of historical dark-age patterns, much more an evolutionary explanation than the great healer of the universe explanation. It's got a weird messianic quality, like everyone was just twiddling their thumbs in ignorance and waiting until Michael Burnham descended upon them.

10. Phily B

I'm hoping it was a red herring and it isn't some galaxy wide signal playing music on -just- the right frequency to get dilithium crystals to crack up and break. Cause that's how it sounded.

Search4 likes this.
  11. fireproof78

That has not been my impression thus far, though I can kind of understand the point of view. The presentation of Earth and the Federation is that they have adapted to new living conditions and have been more focused on survival and maintenance than full on investigation. The admiral seems very calculated in his use of resources.

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Says the guy with the NuKirk avatar. ;)

ananta likes this.
  13. Dukat's Major

I do hope that they have a better explanation for why the Federation they may not have spent much time thinking about the Burn, though even throwing a few semi-decent scientists on it for, oh, a hundred years or so would probably do quite a bit in terms of figuring it out. Or an AI or three-thousand. I like the mystery aspect, and I do want to see what Michael and the Discovery crew can do to solve the mystery. But hopefully the plothole of why an advanced society with tons of AIs can't figure this out gets filled. I'm hoping some combination of Sphere data and Disco's ability to spore-jump will be their comparative advantage, and not simply Michael's cleverness (which I have no problems with by itself, I'm just not a fan of messianic plotlines).

14. Dukat's Major

Oh, interesting! And I wonder if Tal is the key somehow. Tal's hosts spanned the burn, right? And Tal knows that song.

15. fireproof78

I mean, yes and no for me. On the one hand, certainly would hope that the Federation would do so. On the other hand, they are in the middle of a huge crisis and are focused on one particular thing. The Burn may have come from so far out of nowhere that they are behaving in a very reactionary, protectionist way, to avoid it happening again, rather than proactively probing in to it.

Reminds me of a story about a mathematical problem that was considered unsolvable and presented in a college mathematics course. A student was late to class and so didn't hear the teacher tell the class it was unsolvable. He sat down, assumed the formula on the board was their assignment and went to work. He ended up solving it.

Never underestimate the perception of the problem and its ability to impact problem solving ability.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Different group all together,

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Dukat's Major

You make great points, and I do hope that there's a good reason why it wasn't possible (either in a practical-exigent or technical sense) for the Federation to determine why the Burn happened. I totally get how some innovation is more about serendipity and bringing a different perspective to a problem than about grinding research.

18. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

I love how the CNC refers to Discovery as his rapid response asset, and one of the captains in the room is like whaaaaaaaaaat!?! To have your ship, probably the most advanced star ship starfleet as ever made , betaed by a 900 year old antiquity.

ananta and Agony_Boothb like this.
  19. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

“Sheer fucking hubris!”

20. Phily B

I'm glad this Admiral seems competent on the face of it, Discovery could be a game changer and he knows it. I hope he is keeping it as their ace in the hole because he actually realises the importance of the technology rather than actually having them on active duty saving lives and taking names.

caper_guy likes this.