Script blunders!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Don Drutherford, Jun 6, 2020.

1. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

McCoy's crack at Spock's physiological readings in The Naked Time might be considered a verbal, racist attack, but we know as fans of the series that it was to explain certain differences between humans and Vulcans! :vulcan:
    JB

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Sorry I'm glad you knew what I meant.
    What it deliberate to illustrate Spock's utter faith in Kirk or a mistake?

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I am working on a deep dive regarding the Blish adaptations for Fact Trek with @Maurice and I’ve noticed a mix of things based on a close review of his first book (I will get to subsequent books eventually):

(1) Many of the changes result from Blish’s decision to tell the stories entirely from Kirk’s point-of-view. Events that he does not witness are either briefly summarized after-the-fact, entirely omitted, or changed so that Kirk is a participant.
    (2) Blish was more invested in scientific plausibility than the writers of the show, and he changes things to bring some concepts more in line with his sensibilities.
    (3) At least some of the scripts Blish was sent appear to have been missing the "change pages" (i.e. changes made while an episode was being filmed). He does not appear to have been sent significantly early drafts for any of the stories in Star Trek 1 (although I have 1 last story to review).
    (4) Sometimes he just changed things. Maybe he thought that the name "Crater" was too silly, because in his version and only his version) the name is "Bierce." That doesn't come from anyone other than James Blish.

Spocko, Warped9, PhotoBoy and 8 others like this.
  4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a tremendous, amazingly good idea. I generally enjoy your Star Trek scholarship, but for this I'm excited. :beer:

Search4 and Methuselah Flint like this.
  5. Spockskin

Spockskin Commodore Premium Member

I wonder how he described the matter/antimatter universe hopping with our Lazaruses? :shifty:

6. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

To be fair to @Harvey he's doing the heavy lifting on the Blish thing. Sucker.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were they ours? :eek:
    JB

8. drt

drt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the same for Leonard Nimoy and Leonard McCoy when I was a kid.
    Yeah, if you watch that episode in the proper order the story flows better. My understanding was the order was changed to have a more dramatic scene right before going to commercial.

9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

In "Operation: Annihilate!" they repeatedly say something like, "...one million candles per square inch." Don't they mean "foot-candles?"

Neil

Spockskin likes this.
  10. Spockskin

I bet there was several luminosity meters on the set that day...I guess the script guys don't associate with the lighting guys.

NoGrave Dug and Phaser Two like this.
  11. ZapBrannigan

Since a foot-candle is one lumen per square foot, Spock seems to be using candles as a synonym for lumens.

12. Spockskin

The chase description from LTBYLB might be a script blunder:
    Bele and Lokai are established on Deck 3 passing Rec. Room 3 and approaching the Crewman's Lounge. Then Lokai is on Deck 5 passing Rec. Room 3, again. Charlie X established Rec. Room 6 on Deck 3:
    Unless the Enterprise has a screwy deck plan between Decks 3 to 5 or Lokai was running in circles, changing Spock's chase description to Rec. Room 6 on Deck 3 would have solved any issues.

Spocko and Phaser Two like this.
  13. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

14. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

Splendid idea!

David Ketterer's Imprisoned in a Tesseract: The Life and Works of James Blish has a good deal of background information on Blish and the writing of the Star Trek books published under his name.

I've been reading a copy on the Internet Archives, but I finally broke down and popped for a copy off eBay. I do love my books!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Phaser Two likes this.
  15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I have been doing the same and also just bought a copy. Lots of important detail, even if the Trek books are not central.

16. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

Ketterer does have some interesting things to say about Spock Must Die! and how it fits into Blish’s body of work. I just read that bit this afternoon.

But he doesn’t have a lot to say about the adaptations, and he gets a few details wrong, which leads me to question other statements he makes. I mean, it’s not Cushman levels of bullshit, but stuff like saying Judy was the credited co-author of ST11, when she didn’t actually get credit until ST12. Minor stuff, but stuff that should’ve been caught by the author or the editor.

Phaser Two likes this.
  17. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's an interesting observation, but it just goes to show that Freiberger and/or Singer, weren't too keen on continuity.

Also, I suspect that the second use of "passing rec room 3" on deck 5 was just a "cut and paste" job done in the editing room and was just the same exact scene and dialogue reused from earlier?

Anyway, I've read that the whole chase scene was an afterthought meant to fill out the time since they realized they were a few minutes short for this episode, so it was done on the fly, as it were.

Regarding the above, if you read Blish's version, it just says that Bele and Lokai leave the bridge and then Uhura says the the transporter has been activated, so there's no chase scene involved at all.

ZapBrannigan and Spockskin like this.
  18. hofner

hofner Commodore Commodore

Not to mention Mark Lenard.

Robert

19. ZapBrannigan

I don't think that was a coincidence. McCoy was probably named after Nimoy. But Kellam De Forest and DeForest Kelley was a total coincidence. Both men were using their birth names.

20. Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson Robot Skeleton Sidekick Premium Member

We also have James Kirk and James Doohan.
    I really wish they had gone with "Walter Sulu" to continue the trend.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020