Scream Queens

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Forbin, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've almost talked myself into rewatching a couple seaons as well. :)

Keep an eye out for Pineapples.

There's one hidden in every episode, but most "weeks" they are quite hard to find.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Okay, I finally saw the whole thing. It's definitely entertaining enough to keep watching. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so comedic-- the social satire and slapstick are both over the top-- but that's fine with me.

Many of the characters lack presence so far, but several stand out. Dean Munsch, of course, is fantastic, thanks to Jamie Lee Curtis. It's amusing to see an old-school Feminist clash with whiny Millennials. And I love her name-- a nice reference to the title by way of the painting. Her nemesis, Chanel, has, as yet, no depth whatsoever and is a complete caricature, but is hilarious. I also get a kick out of the death-obsessed scoliosis girl, and I hope she survives the show. And the angry Lesbian who talks like a Tumblr post cracked me up-- I expected her to end her rant with "Reblog forever!" :D

The apparent heroine and her sidekick, Grace and the newspaper kid, need a little work; although Grace's motivation for joining the sorority-- to be a part of something her mother was a part of, and to save it from Chanel-- shows promise.

Grace's hapless father, who is constantly bewildered by all the sexual advances, is also amusing. But the best part was the scene between the hunk and is Gay friend (with the stuffed frog-- which remarkably resembles one of my own stuffed frogs). That was actually a pretty touching scene-- no pun intended-- and is the kind of humanizing element that the show will need to make it more than just an extended skit.

I'm not even going to theorize about who the killer is, since the plot is all misdirection by design-- the best you can hope for is a lucky guess. :D

3. Guy Gardener

You didn't recognize Neck-Brace as the female lead from Glee for 6 years?

Rachel ####ing Berry.

Either she thought that the part would be fun, or this is a serious demotion to her star power.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Listen to Guy. Guy is always right.
    Dollhouse started out with the network's purile hands all over it, and Whedon was too wussy to fight back. After a few episodes of mandated sex slave fantasy, Whedon's clever plan leaked through, and Dollhouse became one of the best genuine hard-science-fiction series ever.

5. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I'll give it another chance.

6. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

I'll watch anything with Jamie Lee Curtis and she didn't disappoint in this. Found a lot of the dialog to be really funny. The ending of the second episode was the worst part.
    How did Nick Jonas's character fool the paramedics and police into believing he was dead and end up in the morgue?
    Just plain dumb unless they can explain it in the next episode. Other than that I'm on board

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read an interview with Emma Roberts where she said she loved working with Ryan Murphy on AMHS so much that she was pretty much willing to do whatever he wanted to work with him again. It sounded like that wasn't an uncommon attitude.

8. Janeway’s Girl

I think Lea Michele is creepy good in the role. I much prefer Hester over Rachel.

9. RJDiogenes

I never saw it. I was barely aware of it. :rommie:

I wondered about that, too, but assumed an explanation is forthcoming. From the interviews I've seen, the showrunners are more intelligent than that.

10. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

My guesses -

It's Wes - he begged Grace not to join the KKT and then found a reason to stick around on campus. My guess is that he's the father of the baby from the flashback - Oliver Hudson is about the right age to have been a fellow freshman of the mother in 1995. He would have had the knowledge of the campus/sorority house from his time there.

11. Janeway’s Girl

I think I'm the only one who doesn't have any guesses about who the killer is. It's too soon for me to theorize.

12. Guy Gardener

It's a ten episode stand alone season.

(Season 2 is going to be a different story with a different cast.)

There's no pulling anything out of their ass at the last moment.

They (must??) have a plan.

(But I've heard that before.)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt that. Based off of the promo at the end of the second episode, Grace will bring that theory up in next week, and if they are bringing it up so soon I doubt it will end up being true.

14. RJDiogenes

Nah, you're not the only one: :rommie:

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So how does this compare to that MTV Scream series? I never managed to catch that.

16. Guy Gardener

Scream was played straight. No comedy. Just ordinary people being horrifically mutilated. Funny things did happen, not saying it's a barren dry wasteland, but there was no laugh track.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they are similar in terms of both shows being about teen's being murdered by serial killer with a possibly link to an event in the past, but that's about it. The whole tone and styles are completely different.

18. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

The only trailer I saw had her asking him if she was the bathtub baby - not directly questioning him if he was the killer. Even if that question is answered, it doesn't preclude the rest of my theory.

19. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought at first the Red Devil must be the barista because he was a bit stalker-ish when he met Grace. But now I wouldn't be surprised if it's Boone.

20. Janeway’s Girl

^ How could it be Boone if he was shown onscreen with the Red Devil?