Scotty as second officer

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lance, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course that makes sense but I mean if your helmsman falls out of chair and is knocked out, do you just praise the Lord that Rand was bringing coffee up or do you have an emergency replacement standing by in the bridge at all times or does say the officer on the internal security station take over temporarily. Leaving communications unmanned seems like a bad idea.

2. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's possible some personnel rotate stations, like whoever is manning science 2 covers for science 1 until a replacement comes up to man science station 2.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thinking about it, we do most often see Lesley (a security officer) manning the engineering station (unless his twin is an engineer) and occasionally helm.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems like the bridge crew can sub for each other for short periods at least. In "The Naked Time" red shirt Eddie Paskey (sounds like Spock calls him "Rand") takes the helm after Sulu leaves, then Uhura takes the nav chair when Spock sends Riley off, then Spock calls a blue shirt named Brent to relieve Uhura. Then Paskey gets drunk and is relieved at the helm by Kirk who is then relieved by the real Rand.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Doesn't that depend of the day and the Leslie? ;)

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Which ones of our heroes are department heads? Sulu and Uhura share rank with their competitors at their respective workstations, but Chekov is junior to the other navigators and unlikely to be navigation chief. Spock has no peers in sciences even if nobody outright states he would be the "chief" science officer (a distinction made in the 24th century, even though Kirk already had multiple officers doing science for him). McCoy is an explicit chief, Scotty likewise.

There's also an (unseen) transporter chief in dialogue, say, in "Tomorrow is Yesterday", but is that the department head officer, or (as O'Brien might make us to think) abbreviation for the fact that the guy/gal is a mere CPO?

What other departments would be relevant in TOS?

Timo Saloniemi

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is also this line from "Amok Time"

Spock: Doctor, please, let me finish. There can be no excuse for the crime of which I'm guilty. I intend to offer no defence. Furthermore, I shall order Mister Scott to take immediate command of this vessel.

If Scotty wasn't next in line of Command why would command be handed over to him and not the next in line?

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  8. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Star Trek TOS based on the US Navy seemed to make things up as it went along. There should have been a second officer for Spock to give command too. Unless Scotty performed both roles. There should also be a Lt Commander in charge of operations (Uhura?) and one in charge of Tactical and Security (Hendorf?). Even Enterprise had the head of security as a Lieutenant (Reed) should he not have a higher rank?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Backroom meeting that occurs inbetween whatever season that fits.

Scott "Ladees I'm up to neck with things in engineering. You'd wannae give that wee ladee Sulu a crack at the old third in command now and again?"

Kirk: "yeah".

Spock: "I see I am not the only one depositing logic bombs around here".

10. J.T.B.

It's just who's next in line, it's not a full-time job. Navy-wise, command should have gone through all qualified lieutenant commanders, by seniority, before any lieutenant, but obviously that wasn't thought of. First and second officer are not naval titles, anyway.

If you go by a US Navy cruiser organization of TOS's day, yes, there would be lieutenant commanders and even a commander or two heading all departments (the operations officer seems to have usually been a commander). For security, there wasn't really an equivalent, but a cruiser's marine detachment of 30-35 marines would be headed by a captain with a 1st lieutenant assistant. In TOS when a "security boss" was seen, he was a lieutenant commander with commander stripes as was common in season one.

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, on a aircraft carrier if the captain and first officer were unavailible, the next senior officer should be in command.

Even if that officer were in command of a aircraft squadrant and had no experience commanding a major naval vessel?

12. J.T.B.

The squadron officers are assigned to a separate command which happens to be located on the carrier, so they are not in line of command for the ship. They would be in line to command the carrier air wing.

13. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Several people in this thread are looking for an internal consistency in TOS when frequently, there was none. TOS wasn't remotely about trying to figure out logically or consistently the command structure of the crew. It was about the STORY. Story trumps all in TOS.

14. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

There was a TOS episode where Kirk and Spock were dying of old age or something a visiting officer took command of the ship because he was next in rank but he had no experience of commanding a starship.

15. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always found it strange that Scotty was nowhere in sight every time the Enterprise went to Vulcan! :shrug:
    JB

16. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

If Leslie can take the conn, anyone can.
    9B6505A7-C344-4FBA-BFDE-E78B9FD80244.png
    I might cross-post this to the "bottom half of the Academy" thread; that LCDR might be the poster child.

Spocko and Pauln6 like this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Deadly Years

Nyotarules likes this.
  18. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Not that I have any problem with Scotty being next in line, when I built my master crew roster, I have:

Captain (O6) == Commander of the ship == runs the mission
    Exec Officer / First Officer (senior O5) == Second in command == runs the ship
    Operations Officer (junior O5 / senior O4) == Third in command == runs the front part of the ship

The three above often are not scheduled to sit in Center Seat for entire shifts at a time, but may fill in occasionally. During combat, one will be stationed in Aux Con instead of being on the main bridge.

Chief Navigator (senior O4) == senior Bridge Watch officer, de facto fourth in command
    three or four Navigator (O4 or senior O3) == Bridge Watch Officers working a rotating duty schedule

These are the guys/gals who typically sit in the Center Seat during routine (i.e., BORING) patrol missions when nothing is happening, leaving the top three officers time to do all the command stuff (e.g., paperwork).

Chief Engineer (O5 or senior O4) == runs the back of the ship
    Chief Weapons Officer (O4 or senior O3) == may fall under Ops Officer or be separate department under Exec

These two may or may not be in the line of succession, depending on their training and experience and the whims of the ship's Captain. They rarely have time to pull shifts in the Center Seat, depending on the experience level of their respective deputies.

Of course, we can't forget the Master Chief aka Chief of the Boat. He owns the ship and allows the officers to use it. :cool:

JonnyQuest037 and Nerys Myk like this.
  19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spocko, GNDN18 and J.T.B. like this.
  20. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    My guess: Red Shirt Commander is the ship's Chief of Security. The yellow shirt Lieutenant Commander - shrug? Maybe he's the Chief Navigator (i.e. Chekov's boss)?