SCI-FI CONVENTIONS: Do actors get paid well?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See it's interesting, because at the UK events that don't offer this service, a lot of people would actually like it, and be prepared to pay for it.

Many of them get the photos signed if back in time, so having an unsigned high resolution image is something some would go for to.

Question is if you have a photo of you and actor, actor's signed it, shouldn't you sign it too!

I don't get photos done, no appeal to me. At the end of the day if I had to I could always sell my autograph collection. I'd hate to do it, but like to keep the option open.

In a digital age having a photo of you standing next to some celeb doesn't really prove much anyway. Some of them have the same pose and smile in every conveyor belt shot; might as well be a cutout.

Yet they always seem very busy! Each to their own.

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

If you wouldn't mind terribly, would you please explain what that means? "prove" what?

I know I have a few pix with various celebs hanging on my walls. It's not meant to prove anything, it's a memory of that moment, just like any other picture one would have, I think.

3. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile, the forums for the quarterly cons in Dallas were livid when folks goin' to 'em had to start payin' Froggy Photos for the photo ops with celebrities.

I don't mind payin' the celeb for a snapshot at their table (done it, with my own or a friend's camera), but I won't pay a company to take my photo with a celeb & then wait for the print out. I've read the feedback and there have been a lot of complaints about it, but the organizers say that its something that Creation started & celebs now include it in their apperance contract.

4. spooky spice

spooky spice Commander Red Shirt

I went to an indie Trek convention years ago that was very badly attended - less than 50 people turned up for it, there was bad blood between the Trekkies and the guy who organised the shindig...

There was only one guest and she was a member of the writing staff (I think). After the con was over the two women who'd been lumbered with the job of running the thing were talking about how the heck were they going to pay the guest, as they'd made a loss due to the low turnout. Eventually the guest said she'd waive her appearance fee, but her flights and accommodation were paid for by the hosts...

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh some people use it as proof, that they met people, that they stood next to them of all of three seconds. But as half of them put them online afterwards I could put me in their place in a minute. That was my point.

I'm thinking more generic signings. Obviously if you spend all day at a convention hearing a guests panel etc,then you have the memories, I can see why you might want a photo then.

Its just I attend a lot of cons - perhaps 15 a year and I see some people get in to debt just so they have their photos. Including one guy who even hates having his photo taken - but must have in some cases several taken with each guest each time they meet!

But then I've got over 100 DVDs, 250 CDs and over 1000 trading cards all signed. So we all go mad in our own ways!

6. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

there was a big controversy with lou a while ago on the hulk forums. someone took a picture of him and he became enraged and stormed up to the guy and asked what he was doing because he charges for pictures.

i couldn't believe it.

image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/3266242480/

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

I can believe it - the sign sayin' he charges for photos is right there on the table.

8. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

That's certainly your choice to make.

But please, must you be so... obnoxious in stating such?

It never hurts to have just an ounce of tact. ;) Your friends and neighbors will thank you. :)

I would bet good money he's got some roid-rage issues, amongst others. Such behavior though is totally inappropriate. I've seen actors behave badly at these things, but nothing like that...

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

$30? I would maybe give him a bit of any sandwich I might have on me or I'd be happy to buy him a pint - but $30?

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Don't make him angry -- you won't like him when he's angry.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cut the guy some slack. It's probably how he makes his living these days. They don't make enough Hulk films for him to continually cameo in, so he gets the cash where he can.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Don't forget, he was in I Love You, Man!

13. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

alcohol is the real problem for most of these guys

14. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Nashville Con was my very first time ever going to one of these and it was a 20th anniversary gift for my wife and I. We've always wanted to go to one "for the heck of it" and found it to be a very good experience. We purchased two photo ops one with Shatner and one with Gowron and Martok. My favorite Trek characters of all time were represented with those three. The only other person I'd probably do the photo op thing with would be Nimoy. Not to prove to anyone that I'd stood next to them but that I could have this memory preserved for the rest of my life. I can't tell you how many smiles and laughs I've gotten looking back at these pics right now. Isn't that was vacation photo's are supposed to do? I don't know if I'll ever do the whole weekend thing with a convention again, but this one time was a thrill. It was a bit pricey, but none too different from say... a cruise or a trip to Disney or an NFL game or something like that, so who's to judge???