Scanners / Sensors Datapoint Stumper

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Vance, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Okay, I've been looking EVERYWHERE for something of a name or designation for the Scanners and sensors on the NCC-1701, and haven't found anything in all the fanon out there. I know I've seen something.. so, if anyone has some info here, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. DRMidnite

DRMidnite Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. Vance

Nope. Surprisingly, I guess I get to come up with something!

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, by "name", do you mean the fictional nature of the instruments (such as "delta ray spectroscope") or the fictional designation of the instruments (such as "QIK-24B Long Range")?

It's curious that fandom doesn't seem to have come up with even the latter sort for Kirk's old ship. But it would appear rather logical to use the precedent of the TNG Tech Manual when coming up with the former sort, even when the two ships are separated by a century. That is, things like "variable frequency EM flux sensor" or "gravimetric distortion scanner" or "thermal imaging array" or "parametric subspace field stress sensor".

Timo Saloniemi

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

The red covered TNG Technical Manual has a bunch of that stuff in it if you can get hold of a copy...

6. Vance

The designations. (They're 'sensors' and 'scanners', officially). I haven't found any fandom document that has any designations in them. I thought that FRS had it, but, alas...