Spoilers Santiago Cabrera as Captain Cristóbal "Chris" Rios

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Mondragon, Feb 6, 2020.

1. itchyscratch

itchyscratch Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hah! I’m sure there will be a nice juicy sacrifice, ( after all, he smokes therefore he must be bad and eliminated ) but what I’m not quite sure about is what version of Rios or his holograms we’ll be left with for season 2.

SolarisOne likes this.
  2. BorgTheory

BorgTheory Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Probably some old EMH Mark 1..

3. itchyscratch

itchyscratch Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just good looking hairy triplets? I like it.

Someone in another thread also pointed out that the shard of whateveritwas sticking out of his shoulder is the same shape as the object spinning through the opening credits. May not be significant, as the same shape might keep cropping up throughout the series, but who knows?

4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't swoony over trek characters very often, but goddamn Rios is fine :drool::devil:

I'm interested to know more about what happened to him on the Ibn Majid and why Starfleet struck the ship from the records. Also he better not die.

Ar-Pharazon, Tomalak and Danja like this.
  5. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    This is so beardist! All beardos look the same to you so you can't even tell when they are the same. You probably think Tom and Will Riker are played by the same beardo.

On a more serious note, is the EMH, ENH actually a different program or is it the same AI with different skins? On Voyager the Doctor got the command uniform when he was the ECH, so this could be something similar. Clearly this AI has more personality than the base model and it could be an interesting character if they use it right.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Am I the only one who thinks that piece of metal was from a Klingon weapon? If Worf shows up next year I could see him look at Rios and say something like "I KILLED YOU. HOW IS THIS POSSIBE."

Jason

Danja likes this.
  7. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Rios said it was a hunk of Titanium Shrapnel.
    I figured it was from what ever happened to the Navigation Sensors that the ENH was working on.
    Some kind of explosion that Rios was too close to.

Perhaps that doesn't bode so well for the overall operating condition of the La Serina ?

Looks pretty, but runs like a secondhand reject from Harry Mudd's Spaceship Emporium?
    :rommie:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    rhllot and Mondragon like this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Much like Kirk in TMP or the Abrams movies, they are going to want Picard in the captain's chair by the end of the season. Rios is going to be the sacrificial lamb that gets him there.

9. Jayson1

I don't know about that. They are playing up his age and now that he has iremedic syndrome I don't see him becoming captain again. I do think we might have a moment were he is in the Captain's chair and barking orders though.

Jason

EmoBorg and Llywela like this.
  10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm still wondering what catastrophe happens that requires Jean-Luc to have to go to Will & Deanna to ask for help later?

Perhaps they all get captured on the Borg Cube and only Picard manages to escape?

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Kirk also wasn't in his 90s. He can't even run up a flight of stairs. Rios let Picard say "Engage". This isn't Rocky Balboa. It's Creed. This isn't TMP. It's Generations. This is Picard's last hurrah. He won't survive the series. The Doctor from the Stargazer said hopefully this mission gets him before whatever he has gets him (it'll be Irumodic Syndrome, watch).

Hythlodeus, SolarisOne and Llywela like this.
  12. BillJ

You don't need to run up stairs to sit in the captain's chair of a freighter. They have three seasons of this to fill. I'm pretty sure Picard is going to end up in the chair eventually.

13. BillJ

It didn't feel like an "emergency" in the scenes we see. Maybe they are living on Betazed and Picard stops to say goodbye?

14. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Captain Rios....:adore::adore::adore:

cosmic mouse and antinoos like this.
  15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It probably makes more sense that they are all holograms, that would explain the resemblance and why we doesn't need to repair the dermal damage.

16. Jayson1

It's not just that. We know Seven visits him at his home as well and if they are living in Alaska like some have predicted it means they at some point return to earth. I think maybe his illness overwhelms him at some point and he nearly dies so everyone brings him home because they are afraid he is going to die if he keeps looking. Seven shows up and sort of encourages him to not give up. Maybe even clues him on on the Borg Cube. He then goes to Riker and Troi for help. Maybe Rios and the others are locked up and he needs Riker who is still in good standing with Starfleet to get them out of jail so he can go back out again.

Jason

DaveyNY likes this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that Picard meets Seven back at his Chateau. IIRC she says something like "What are you doing out here Picard trying to save the galaxy." Saying "out here" is a weird construction if they're on earth.

18. Jayson1

What she means I think by "out here" is sort of being alone in his home all isolated from the world. Then being sarcastic with the, saving the galaxy part.

Jason

19. Mondragon

Mondragon Commander Red Shirt

Rios: Chris Rios, ...he's just an EMH
    \​
    [​IMG]
    Just?
    \​
    [​IMG]
    Picard: What happened to you?
    Rios: I didn't die!
    \​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't try and get in my head.
    \​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "We personalize the All in order to save ourselves from Nothingness; and the only mystery really mysterious is the mystery of suffering.

Suffering is the path of consciousness, and by it living beings arrive at the possession of self-consciousness. For to possess consciousness of oneself, to possess personality, is to know oneself and to feel oneself distinct from other beings, and this feeling of distinction is only reached through an act of collision, through suffering more or less severe, through the sense of one's own limits. Consciousness of oneself is simply consciousness of one's own limitation. I feel myself when I feel that I am not others; to know and to feel the extent of my being is to know at what point I cease to be, the point beyond which I no longer am...."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "He who does not suffer, and who does not suffer because he does not live, is that logical and frozen ens realissimum, the primum movens, that impassive entity, which because of its impassivity is nothing but a pure idea. The category does not suffer, but neither does it live or exist as a person. And how is the world to derive its origin and life from an impassive idea? Such a world would be but the idea of the world. But the world suffers, and suffering is the sense of the flesh of reality; it is the spirit's sense of its mass and substance; it is the self's sense of its own tangibility; it is immediate reality...."
    [​IMG]

How do you convince yourself you are "real" ?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  20. BorgTheory

BorgTheory Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think ALL of the Rios’s are holograms. Yes, including the one with the supposed metal “injury”

There is a reason he refused any treatment of the wound in front of Picard. He’s a photonic

Gilora likes this.