Spoilers S3 Brent Spiners character...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by FreddyE, Feb 13, 2023.

?

Is Lore some type of "Data/Lore" hybrid?

1. I´d prefer not

37.5%
  2. Has voluntary access to Data´s memories

25.0%
  3. Experiences Data´s memories as if they are his own

12.5%
  4. Gains parts of Data´s personality

6.3%
  5. Suffers from DIS, switching between beeing Data and Lore

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Based on the producers comment on Spiner playing a "new old character" and the information in here

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Coh9...d&ig_rid=f8e45733-b1f1-4fdc-9ba5-12748f9c2e93

that his body and mind have been taken to "Daystrom Station", I predict:

Since the upload of Data´s memories into B4 didn´t work, as his positronic network just wasn´t advanced enougth the experiment was repeated with Lore. Accidently (or on purpose?) this resulted in the creation of a kind of "DataLore"-Hybrid.

If I am correct with my "hunch" here...this hybrid could take different forms:

1. Lore is able to access Data´s memories at will, similar to the way Data was able to access the memories of the colonists

2. Data´s memories are integrated into Lore to such an extent that he experiences them as if they were his own which leads to:

2a) Lore gaining parts of Data´s personality, like his friendship, trustworthyness, ethics...etc, while mixing in a kind of dark mischievous side to him, but without Lore´s murderous and evil sides.

2b) Lore suffering from DIS (Dissociative Identify Disorder), switching between a Data and a Lore Personality and it turns out he has to find a way to integrate both personalities to reach the state of 2a) in order not to finally suffer a terminal cascade failure of his matrix.

I would prefer they go the 2b) route.

What do you think?

2. RuleofAcuisition17

RuleofAcuisition17 Commander Red Shirt

Whichever allows Brent Spiner to either:

a) continue to act

b) Kill Lore off finally and for absolute good so he's finally free of having to play some form of bloody Soong android.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  3. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Option 1
    That might be kind of boring from a story or character development point of view. If it is just for Lore to drop a Data reference what would be the point? How it would it change Lore to have Data's memories? Would it lead to character growth for Lore?

Option 2a
    I think 2a would be too close to just bringing Data back. You are basically just bringing Data back but slightly different. It could undermine Data's death in S1. From a story and character point of view, that seems like a step backwards IMO.

Option 2b
    This could give Brent some really interesting scenes from an acting point of view. Doing DIS is probably "fun" for actors. And it could lead to some interesting character growth for Lore.

FreddyE likes this.
  4. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Well I don´t think he has an issue with "playing some from of bloody Soong android" per se...if I remember correctly the only reason he wanted Data to die in Nemesis was that he thought he was aging out of the role of an ageless android, which actually is a non-issue because some throw-away line like "I have modified the elasticity of my outer dermaplast layers to adjust my apperant age", would have been enough.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  5. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

And it would also have the advantage of another minority in the viewership feeling seen, if its written realistically (as far as plot nessecities allow) and respectfully.

Romulan_spy likes this.
  6. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suspect Brent Spiner just wanted to do something different. Actors like to do lots of different characters rather than just do the same character for years. Doing the same character for years kind of gets boring and repetitive. The age thing was just an excuse. That is why Brent Spiner is ok coming back to play a different Soong related character but did not want to come back to play Data again. So I suspect they will do something interesting with Lore like DIS to give Brent Spiner something interesting to do with the character so that he is not playing Data again.

RuleofAcuisition17 likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Season 7 episode with his mother already said he can age.

Shamrock Holmes and fireproof78 like this.
  8. RuleofAcuisition17

I also suspect he was probably a bit tired of being type-cast somewhat. With the movies dragging an extra 8 years of him playing a semi-emotionless Pinnochio in which he wasn't cast in too much in between bar the odd episode in things here and there. Especially as Spiner can chew the damn scenery on command which I do hope we get a bit out of this Lore/Data or whatever he's playing.

Also, from Nemesis to Picard we saw 2/3 of the Soong Androids be bopped off with both Data dying in 2002 and B4 failing at some point between Nemesis and his drawer scene in S1 Picard.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  9. PT109

PT109 Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

I think the Instagram file purposely dropped the casual news that Altan is dead and noted that Lore's "mind" along with his body were transferred to Daystrom. After reading that, my first thought was that Lore somehow hacked Altan's body. Wouldn't explain the yellow eyes and skin tone but :shrug:

10. RuleofAcuisition17

Thought he had a flesh skintone in the trailer?

11. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

I think its very possible Data returns somehow via B4/Lore
    Deanna's role may be to help him cope with the multiple personalities.

12. RuleofAcuisition17

Somehow Palpatine Lore returned.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lore is dead. His body is a vessel for Badgey!

RuleofAcuisition17 and Timofnine like this.
  14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't think Data needs to be involved in an altered Lore. Maybe Daystrom just "fixed" him? He's a non-malevolent version of Lore, but without any actual Data-ness.

15. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

After such a beautiful goodbye in the finale of Picard season 1, Data should not come back. Data has been given the *perfect* send off.

This geezer is someone *new*. We have already had Datalore, perhaps this will be Loredata? :shrug:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    Harpsichord and Tuskin38 like this.
  16. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Loda or Dalo? :D

17. Timofnine

We have had B-4 so maybe B-After, or quite simply… B-5? :shrug:

18. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Now I know: Dare.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think we will see the real Data at some point this season. Not sure how but this might be the last time we see the TNG gang. How you do that without so much as one real Data scene I don't know. I think Lore will have the bigger role overall but Data and not just Data downloaded into Lore or whatnot, will be seen. Might be flashbacks.

20. Timofnine

Perhaps Lore will read ‘An Ode to Spot’ in the final scene of the series finale, just like how B4 sung Blue Skies? This could be TNG’s finale poetic fade to black? This would be a better conclusion for the TNG crew, Jurati’s AI Spot included, than a game of poker…