Russo to score Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by FreddyE, Jul 29, 2019.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

CaptainMurdock and mos6507 like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm of two minds. On the one hand: DSC has some good music, even though it can be a 2010s/2020s version of wallpaper a lot of the time. On the other hand: At least it won't sound like late-TNG through ENT.

But, yeah, TV Trek's best music was generally TOS and the first four seasons of TNG.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    OCD Geek, pst, Neumann and 2 others like this.
  3. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

What do we think the chances are of any old themes making an appearance? Aside from the Courage fanfare of course which is almost guaranteed. I guess the top (only?) contenders would be:

TMP/TNG Theme - a few notes of this did appear in the first Picard trailer
    The Inner Light Theme
    Picard's Theme (which was based on the aborted original TNG theme) - pretty sure this disappeared from TNG around the time Ron Jones did.

OCD Geek and Lord Garth like this.
  4. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of the old Tng Composers are still kicking about, how about enlisting them?? :)

And instead of Berman's ho hum on music, let them loose! :)

OCD Geek likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard had a theme? Got a link to this? All the Google and YouTube searches I try on "Picard's Theme" just turn up the flute music from The Inner Light.

6. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Yeah it was basically the middle-8 of the aborted theme:

When you hear it you'll probably recognise it. Encounter at Farpoint used it a lot (probably because it was meant to be the actual TNG theme) and It was used all the time in the first couple of seasons, but rarely after that. I'm sure it was known as "Picard's Theme" officially somewhere...

EDIT: "Picard's Theme" plays in this clip at around 0:58:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    OCD Geek and The Wormhole like this.
  7. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad it's not Michael Giacchino

Say what you want about ST09, but it has the Best music of all of Star Trek movies

8. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

I love Russo's work for Discovery, but I hope he Goldsmith's the hell out of this score. The theme for the show can be unique, but I hope we hear some subtle recurring motifs in the episode soundtracks themselves that are throwbacks. There's so much work composed by the late Jerry Goldsmith, and any or all of the themes below could be used to represent Picard, even if it's just sprinkled in every once in a while, but I'd love to hear at least ONE of these for continuity's sake:

Theme from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"

"A Busy Man" From Star Trek V (re-used heavily in First Contact and Nemesis)

Theme from "Star Trek: First Contact"

OCD Geek and CaptainMurdock like this.
  9. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

They've been busy on The Orville, although thanks to the hiaitus I guess they have some time. But we wouldn't want to disrupt the cronyism of the Kurtzman crew, would we?

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to defend the Kurtzman music. It is what it is most of the time. But can you honestly tell me you like that Berman-tastic crap?

11. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wholeheartedly agree!

Though important to note - the music doesn't depend only on the componist, but also a whole lot on what the producers order them to do. DIS very obviously had that "inoffensive" background music, without strong melodies or themes. But that was an intentional choice, that's what a lot of modern television or movie soundtrack sounds like.

Who knows. I really hope they tell him to introduce some kickass melodies (like Giachiano was told to do for ST09). But to be actually able to judge Russo as a composer, I know to little of his work. I only know his DIS soundtracks - and they sound reasonably competent.

OCD Geek and Lord Garth like this.
  12. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mind Discovery's music. I just hope the directors mix it a bit lower than in Discovery, and the music isn't constantly playing. There were a lot of times I had a hard time understanding what was being said last season, because the music and ambient sound effects were seemingly mixed higher than the dialogue.

13. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well with Goldsmith and Horner in the first few movies, the music was a part of the movie, and you could ( and I do) just listen to the film score and the movie plays in your head..
    Very rarely these days do you have a great film score.. none of the marvel movies ( except maybe GotG 80s tracks) stand out musically.. you have the "Avenger Theme" that blares ocasionally.. but gone are the 80's movies with the rocking film music..

OCD Geek and mos6507 like this.
  14. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Sorry to nitpick, but the GotG soundtracks had (either exclusively, or near exclusively) songs from the 60s and 70s, not the 80s. ;)

OCD Geek and DaveyNY like this.
  15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only music I can remember from Season 1 is the Terran empire theme.

Season 2 I can remember a lot more of the music, but it isn't something I would hum.

Season 2 used the iconic notes from the TOS theme quite a bit, and parts of DSC's main theme as well.

16. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Not to spam this thread but the Orville scores added up are worth a dozen popcorn movies in orchestral richness and lack of repetition. So it can be done but it goes against the grain of modern composing to write this way.

Giacchino's Trek work was good but incredibly repetitious. You can only repeat the main theme so many times before you want to puke. His best work was The Incredibles.

17. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

@Lord Garth is right about the sonic wallpaper in season 1 and his scores suffer from a thin sound quality that's probably due to a small orchestral ensemble. he could easily beef up the sound digitally but opts not to do it for whatever reason and it really hampers this music from sounding as good as it should.

but thinness aside, russo actually produced some knock out music in season 2, particularly for "such sweet sorrow" (see: "pike on the bridge", "ready"). his discovery theme is built around alexander courage's opening notes in the TOS main theme which i don't think he gets a lot of credit for, so i'm encouraged by what he might be able to concoct from goldsmith's theme for picard.

Lord Garth likes this.
  18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aborted TNG theme kind of reminds of The Orville's theme.
    Eh, it's not bad music, but the fact that Trek XI and STID basically put the "Enterprising Young Men" tune on a loop for two hours definitely grates on the soul. I preferred the restrained usage of the tune in Beyond, as well as the choice to use more variations of it than just the base model the other two used repeatedly.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope he puts more of an effort into the theme. The Discovery one sounds like elevator music.

FreddyE likes this.
  20. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's not to like?