• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers Russell T. Davies' Second Turn as Doctor Who Showrunner

1) A Great Fire of London story by Laurence Clark and Jack Thorne.
Historian me is all, "Mmmm, oh, yeah. Bomp. Bomp." 😀

Number one, would Richard Mace ("The Visitation") make a return?

Number two, does the famously randy Charles II take a shine to the companion?

It's tempting to have some aliens in this, except we already know there are aliens at the Great Fire, so maybe a pure historical would have been the way to go.
 
So Davis said to the BBC "we shouldn't do this". So why the hell even do a cliffhanger at all? Or why not just do the final and put a bow on it?


Or something that never ever had to be.
The idea was to convince Disney, I guess to convince them to do another season.
On this point I still think it's a bit weird. Gatwa could have finished with a big christmas episode send off with Daleks (as he always wanted) and tied up loose ends with Susan. There's a lot of nice meaty scenes there. The Doctor finally reunited with Susan, Daleks, and in all likely hood the grand end to a 20 year era of modern Doctor Who.

That's just my view. Maybe he didn't want to be the face of the show that ended a bit unceremoniously. But I think it would have been more memorable than what we got.
Problem was, Disney took months after S2 ended to officially cancel it. Had they canceled it right away, there was just enough time to do a Christmas special, assuming BBC was able to fund it.

I'm not upset with the regeneration, but I am upset at the lack of closure with Susan. Omega could have been better.
 
It wouldn't be an issue, there have been seasons in the past where the show more or less did that. Even in the new series, the episodes set on modern day or past Earth vastly outnumber the ones set on other planets.
I've been watching the Eleventh Doctor seasons the last few months so let's just focus on those.
Season 5 had 13 episodes with 10 set on Earth, and only 3 somewhere else.
Season 6 also had 13 episodes with 10 set on Earth and 3 somewhere else.
Season 7 had 14 episodes (I'm counting the Christmas special since it aired in the middle of the season) and had 10 episodes set on Earth with 4 set somewhere else.
So really just setting a whole series just on Earth wouldn't be that big of a change.

i would like to have the doctor and his or her most likely many different companions during the next on screen verison of doctor who stay on earth and only time travel threw out time

like the times when the 14th doctor and ruby sunday experienced the bridgertons era or when the 10th doctor and rose tyler went to way into the future and visted new new new york or the time when rose tyler and the 9th doctor met captain jack in the past during world war 2 oh and when the 10th doctor and rose tyler solved a murder mystery in the 1910s era
 
More mainstream than Bridgerton, Eurovision and WandaVision?
Eurovision isn't well known in the US. Bridgerton despite being popular is not mainstream. It's a woman's show. I know very few guys who have watched it.

Disney is the place where you put stuff with mass appeal. You want to maximize your audience. If you want niche, put it on a niche service and work with a much lower budget.
 
Eurovision isn't well known in the US. Bridgerton despite being popular is not mainstream. It's a woman's show. I know very few guys who have watched it.

Disney is the place where you put stuff with mass appeal. You want to maximize your audience. If you want niche, put it on a niche service and work with a much lower budget.
I watch Bridgerton. And I love how you'd count something as niche even if only 50% of the population watched it. :rolleyes:
 
He admits it was a confused launch having the new era begin with a 60th Anniversary trilogy. "I think that fucked it from the start".
Again, pointing fingers at anything other than himself, his writing, his story and casting choices. You relaunched with arguably one of the most well known and popular Doctors of the modern era and wrote mediocre episodes for him. You could have made it more accessible to new viewers if you wanted to.

The idea was to convince Disney, I guess to convince them to do another season.
But why would it convince them though? A very poorly received and confusing cliffhanger. Just do a solid episode instead and see how they respond to quality instead of shock and confusion.

Problem was, Disney took months after S2 ended to officially cancel it. Had they canceled it right away, there was just enough time to do a Christmas special, assuming BBC was able to fund it.
But it seems that they could have moved it to Easter and he was offered a contract. It was still a go until he said no.
 
But it seems that they could have moved it to Easter and he was offered a contract. It was still a go until he said no.
Once they decided to tender it, it didn't make sense to do a one off special. If they decided to do a short, interim season while tendering out that'd be different.
 
Nobody I know lives in Mongolia. Therefore, I can only assume no one lives in Mongolia.

I'm reading The Queerest of Folk. Here are things you won't find in it:

Deep, thoughtful introspection
Shocking revelations
Critical comments (other than lightly amusing catty comments) about anyone he's worked with
In-depth looks at the creation and writing of any of his shows

Aside from the chapter on his husband's illness and death, it's a light and breezy overview of the many shows he's worked on. I wouldn't have minded a bit more on the high weirdness that was Coronation Street: Viva Las Vegas, but that gets maybe a short paragraph. It's quite readable, I can hear his voice as I read it, but in general, deep it is not.
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top