Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Can you just give us a link to those comments made by RTD?

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not even sure what the fuss is all about.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Jinn likes this.
  4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That says that he’s written at least two episodes, nothing about four, or that there’s a singular anniversary special rather than multiple specials. Also nothing about a regular series following immediately on from the special or specials. That could be what’s happening, but it’s certainly not “confirmation.”

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As touched upon earlier, it's not entirely unheard of, particularly where factors such as actor scheduling dictate things. Something similar happened with Revolution of the Daleks, which aired New Year's Day 2021 but was filmed October 2019 in order to accommodate Bradley Walsh's and Tosin Cole's schedules, particularly so they could leave and move onto other things.

And as it turned out, given all that stuff that went on in 2020, it was quite a stroke of luck they already had Revolution of the Daleks already in the can.

TheAlmanac and Richard S. Ta like this.
  6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The BBC are looking for a new Brand Manager for Doctor Who. And from the description it looks like we're getting Confidential or some new incarnation thereof back. And they are looking for someone who can do this for the next 5+ years, so that's a vote of confidence in the series.

Funnily enough, one of the tasks in the role is "Managing day-to-day editorial questions about lore/canon." I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone other than fans mention "canon" in relation to the series. (Plus I wouldn't have thought RTD would need any help in that area.)

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm glad Confidential (or a variation thereof) is coming back. I really enjoyed watching those.

8. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I think using Chibnall as a yardstick for regular production is a bit like basing an understanding of Channel Ferry Crossings on Dunkirk and Normandy.

StarMan and Richard S. Ta like this.
  9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds like they're looking for someone who can answer those questions for licensees. I'm sure RTD doesn't need help as far as the writers go; but I'm sure he'd appreciate not having to answer every question from cereal companies and sticker manufacturers.

TheAlmanac and Jedman67 like this.
  10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't either, but i have not been watching the Chibnall run so at this point a extra year plus of continued no Who won't make any difference to me. ;)

11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The source for the four episodes thing was a separate Tweet or Instagram post from earlier last year.

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

But there are TWO anniversaries WHO is celebrating. This year is the BBCs 100th year and next year is DOCTOR WHO's 60th year.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

In addition to some of the casting, we also know that the Centenary special is 90 minutes. Although, interestingly, that was revealed by RTD rather than Chibnall IIRC.

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  14. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That long, huh? Thanks, I didn't know that.

15. jaime

Wasn’t at all filmed at the end of the block then stuck in a cupboard so everyone could have a nice rest of doing naff all before being caught by the pandemic.

16. Brendan Moody

I know that, but it’s got nothing to do with how much RTD has written or when it’s airing.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  17. jaime

New leak says 23 Xmas special will be Ncuti’s first ep…
    Edit: and further support evidence for the Camden stuff being for a surprise Christmas special.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  18. Emperor-Tiberius

Actually amusing to think that RTD let that slip while Chibnall never outright confirmed or denied it. Its just so weird.

Mr Awe likes this.
  19. Brendan Moody

I still say the most consistent reading of all the announcements and leaks is a multi-part anniversary special with Tennant and Tate for November/December 2023 that’s being banked now (before Tennant gets busy with Hide and series 2 of Around the World in 80 Days), followed by a Gatwa debut at Christmas 2023 leading into a full series in early 2024. But we will see.

20. Emperor-Tiberius

I don't see that, but we'll see.

Starkers likes this.