Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

On the other hand actors like Amell are on CW shows which probably don't pay as much the bigger networks and the money they make on the convention circuit in some ways would make up for it.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not cynical.

It's a direct reference to comments he made when he appeared at the Salt Lake FanX convention last September in which he openly admitted that he only returned to the role of the Ninth Doctor because of money.

He might not necessarily be cash-strapped, but he does have a family to provide for and doing Ninth Doctor audios for Big Finish gives him steady employment and a steady source of income.

3. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

His net worth is apparently $6 million. He's married but only 1 child. Unless a lot of that worth is tied up in property he's still paying off the mortgage on or non-monetary possessions that would need liquidating, he's not doing badly by the stretch of anyone the Tories would actually give a toss about.

Captaindemotion likes this.
  4. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I'm assuming DigificWriter refers to this video at about 28:48?

Here's a transcript (bolded parts seem relevant to me):
    Fan: "What made you go to Big Finish and take up that character again?"
    Eccleston: "Money."
    [laughter]
    Eccleston: "Why does everybody work?"
    Fan: "I'm sure you've been offered things before then."
    Eccleston: "Yeah, I think the conventions helped, feeling the love."
    [happy fan noises from the crowd]
    Eccleston: "But I work for money and it's a very, you know, it's a very honest way for an actor to earn money, it's your acting. But I was very careful about... You know I only did 13 episodes, they seem to have lasted, you know."
    [applause]
    Eccleston: "A Lot of the Doctors have done three and four and five series, but I did one and it's touched people, so Big [Finish] approached me a few times and it was only when we got the scripts right, that I would do it and I have to say that Big [Finish] have captured the Doctor's voice, I think, really well and that's no mean feat because none of those writers have written for the TV show, so It's been a pleasure."
    [applause]

5. DigificWriter

Yes.

I was actually in the room when he answered the question, as well.

Jinn likes this.
  6. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I spoke with Michael Jayston at Gallifrey One this year. He's on odd fellow, and I'll leave it at that. But he's very talkative. Almost can't help it. But he talked about doing Big Finish and he says that no one does it for the money because they pay peanuts. They do it because they're fans. I fully believe BF is very low budget operation.

Also saw and met Eccleston at Gallifrey One in February 2020. (I don't go to many conventions at all but I do go to that one.) That was apparently his first con in a long time. Or maybe his first North American one in a long time.

He seemed honestly moved by the warm reception he received. At points he almost had tears. He wasn't sure what type of reaction he'd receive after so long. At some small group thing, I told him that I was glad he was here. He seemed touched.

I'm sure money is part of it. But I also think he appreciates it. He seems like a very decent, kind person but one who has many self-doubts and takes things very personally.

I'm not in his head but he seems likely a deeply conflicted person and it's probably not possible for outsiders to understand his thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some context in regards to Eccleston's comments about doing Big Finish "for money." I doubt it's a coincidence he agreed to do Big Finish around the time the pandemic began, when many movies and TV shows had production suspended and audio dramas were one of the few mediums in the entertainment industry proceeding more or less as normal. Eccleston likely viewed Big Finish as a source of guaranteed work in a period of many unknowns and figured a paycheck is a paycheck, even if it's less than usual, it's still money ending up in his pocket. Conventions weren't even a thing at the time, so it's not like he had any options. And while he could have tried any other audio drama in production, the fact that Big Finish would piss themselves in delight knowing he was interested in doing Doctor Who audios with them was likely another draw, job security and all that.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Only the most cynical would think that it's only about the money when it's clearly more than just that. Any fan of Big Finish can see that.

Mr Awe likes this.
  9. DigificWriter

@Mr. Awe The Gallifrey One you met him at was the first fan convention of any kind that Eccleston had done in his career.

Commander Troi, Starkers and Mr Awe like this.
  10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I suspect you're right there and I'm probably doing him a disservice, it's just things like saying he won't do a multi Doctor story or the fact he was the only living Doctor to skip the Big Night In video (which would have taken him 30 seconds of effort).

It is also odd that he seems potentially more up for returning now than he was in either Moffat or Chibnall's run...do you think he know RTD is back or do you think perhaps he's buried the hatchet (and not in Russell's back)?

Of course it could be a whole raft of things. It's perfectly possible for him to have softened on Doctor Who, to enjoy doing BF and doing conventions and enjoy the extra cash it brings, and however little BF pay, it's the complete opposite for convention appearances. When he did his first in 2018 his autograph was £95 and a photo £85 I believe. I have no idea how much of that he himself gets but would imagine it was a generous chunk. I've been to those London events and believe you me they ram huge numbers of people through. I'm terrible at gauging numbers but he'll have done hundreds of autographs and hundreds of photos. That alone could have earned up to 100K (again not sure how much of that he gets but at least half? And I'm guessing the convention planners pay him to attend also?)

Again not just Eccleston here, a huge number of stars do it and I've paid for photos and autographs. There was an interesting Tweet featuring Hartnell surrounded by kids back in the day and Whitaker photobombing a huge number of fans at a recent event and the Tweeter was making the point about Doctor actors engaging with fans. Now I think it's clear that Jodie loved playing the Doctor and loves interacting with fans but she will have been really well paid for that event. Bill on the other hand, well despite his obvious flaws I suspect he was doing that primarily for the love (see also Tom et al).

But if I were an actor and was given the chance to earn tens of thousands just by having my photo took over and over again I doubt I'd turn it down, I doubt many of us would. In part with Eccleston it's the fact that for so long he gave the impression that he was better than that and it was beneath him.

11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Commander Troi and Starkers like this.
  12. DigificWriter

As far as I know, celebrities who attend fan conventions set their own autograph and photo prices, and keep all of the money they make.

It may be different for convention-sponsored photo ops that are pre-sold, but unless my information is wrong, autographs and personal device photos are the primary way that celebrities get compensated for appearing at fan conventions.

Edit: after doing some research, I found conflicting information on this subject, so whether a celebrity is paid to appear at a fan convention by said convention's organizers may differ from con to con.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    Starkers likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm aware of instances where the convention has to guarantee the celebrity a certain monetary haul from the photo and autograph business, and if the celebrity doesn't clear that with what they personally take at their table the convention has to pay the difference.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yep. I have served on the city commission that governs the civic center in my city, and as such I saw all the riders that come through when various conventions are booked. The area comic-con, for example, traditionally has to issue downside guarantees to all of its guests (which are beyond the base appearance fee).

TheAlmanac, Allyn Gibson and Starkers like this.
  15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I know is that the amount a celeb books at a single convention appearance is likely more money than I make in a year :D

Starkers likes this.
  16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Lonemagpie likes this.
  17. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt they'd be specifying ethnicity if they weren't trying to match up with someone already cast so probably companion's family member.

(And I see Russell liked the post on IG, so yeah, almost certainly DW.)

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That character description sure makes the suggestion that RTD would “dewokeify” the show look even more ridiculous than it already did.

On Eccleston and the Big Night In, I recall it being reported, or perhaps only speculated, that he declined because the event was taking donations for (among other things) the NHS, and he feels very strongly that the NHS should be fully funded by the government and not have to rely on private donations.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, I remember that explanation now you've mentioned it. Nothing wrong with that (at least from my outside perspective).

20. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sounds a little like people refusing to tip because they think service workers should be earning a living wage. They're right, but that doesn't help now.

Starkers and Turtletrekker like this.