Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

The 60th Anniversary concert last night debuted the new theme music as well as 15 & Ruby's themes. Be interesting to see if they make it into the radio broadcast.

There were also details on Ruby's character confirmed that match with the leaked synopsis of the Christmas Special that popped up a few weeks back.

Oh and Russell casually mentioned saving a story idea for Series Four so he doesn't seem to have any plans to leave any time soon.

Would it though? It's obvious that there should always be a finite limit on how long a showrunner is on post for, they get burned out, even as a Moffat fan I realise he stayed too long (even though his final season was a return to form) plus for me (prepares to get jumped on) RTD's seasons were all a trifle samey. The same kinds of story beats, the same kinds of episodes, often in a very similar order.

Don't get me wrong, I'm jazzed to have him back and that he's not just around for the 60th, but that doesn't mean I still want him to be show running in 2027 and I'm hoping succession planning is being built in to ensure there's someone ready to take over the reigns in a few years and to do something slightly different with the show.

I'd like to see a Doctor cross over between showrunners as well, something we haven't seen since the classic series.

He came back to the show on his own volition. No one forced him to. And he will stay as long as he wants to, as it seems, so there's reason to be all doom and gloom here.

Also, while new blood sure should be encouraged, let's not forget that both Moffat and Chibnall, while their eras totally distinct, still followed RTD's basic template and mostly emulated what was successful in his time. RTD's impact is immense, and that the man himself is back is reason enough to celebrate.

He came back to the show on his own volition. No one forced him to. And he will stay as long as he wants to, as it seems, so there's reason to be all doom and gloom here.

Also, while new blood sure should be encouraged, let's not forget that both Moffat and Chibnall, while their eras totally distinct, still followed RTD's basic template and mostly emulated what was successful in his time. RTD's impact is immense, and that the man himself is back is reason enough to celebrate.

RTD up to 2027 then Moffet up to 2031 then RTD up to 2035 then Moffet up to 2039 the RTD up to 2043 for the 20th anniversary of RTD coming back......it all just falls into place. :lol:

Last edited:
RTD making plans for a fourth season doesn't sound too surprising. Kind of fits with his four year pattern he discussed in The Writer's Tale. Though it does mean we'll get another gap year afterwards, as he did indicate he feels there should always be a gap year after every four seasons.

Oh well, if they do maintain a consistent schedule between now and then a gap year will have been earned.

Someone described 15th's theme as very "hi ho silver". Ruby at one point will also play her theme on a piano in the Christmas special.

RTD making plans for a fourth season doesn't sound too surprising. Kind of fits with his four year pattern he discussed in The Writer's Tale. Though it does mean we'll get another gap year afterwards, as he did indicate he feels there should always be a gap year after every four seasons.

Oh well, if they do maintain a consistent schedule between now and then a gap year will have been earned.
At least we'll get (God willing) four years of series, instead of a series every 18 months or so.

I hope he brings back them fart aliens. ;)

Only someone who hated the show would have brought that in to begin with. But they were popular, so why not bring back the Slitheen?

RTD up to 2027 then Moffet up to 2031 then RTD up to 2035 then Moffet up to 2039 the RTD up to 2043 for the 20th anniversary of RTD coming back......it all just falls into place. :lol:

You forgot, Chibnall is part of the triumvirate. So it's really more like: RTD/Moff/Chib/RTD/Moff/Chib/RTD/Moff/Chib/RTD/Moff/Chib.

:D

That would make sense, even if it means not airing anything on the actual anniversary. I get Saturday is Doctor Who day at this point.

Still holding onto hope for a surprise sequel to The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot and/or another Eighth Doctor adventure on the 23rd. Or maybe a Ninth Doctor adventure but that's even far less likelier...

Well, at the very least it's nice to see we're moving back to Saturdays. Sunday nights are just way too cluttered for me. Plus, it'll be nice to have a show to watch on Saturdays again.

Ncuti punching his way out of the giant snowman head that's landed on him.

I can just imagine Russell laughing to himself as he wrote it.

I wonder if this is the pre-credits sequence? We know Ncuti has a different outfit for most of the episode and this one just has a random thrown together feel to it.

F7jl9ozWAAEqdxO

I can just imagine Russell laughing to himself as he wrote it.

I wonder if this is the pre-credits sequence? We know Ncuti has a different outfit for most of the episode and this one just has a random thrown together feel to it.

F7jl9ozWAAEqdxO
It’s very early 90s Axl Rose but at least Ncuti is an actual Scotsman

Back