Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm, sounds a little bit like the Santa Clause episode.
    The Doctor was offended by the concept of a horror movie called Alien.

N-121973 likes this.
  2. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And there's the in joke which admittedly I only got long after the episode re John Hurt.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

"from" isn't necessarily the same as "not seen since"

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

5. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

April already, won't be long now. :)

7. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just sitting back, chilling and thinking of how all
    those people I have long since blocked on Twitter are coping. The top of Graham Linehan's head must have popped off and spun right round.

Oh and someone should probably check on Ian. He's not getting any younger.

8. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't put it past Ian Levine to crack the secret of regeneration and keep it to himself, using it purely to come back as himself so he can whine about Doctor Who in perpetuity.

9. Rich Watson

Never seen so many people who I guarantee have never seen an episode of Doctor Who in their life loudly declare they're never going to watch another episode of Doctor Who.

10. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm sure I remember people saying, finally, RTD is going to rid us of Chibnall's wokeism. Maybe even somewhere around here.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

You definitely read that here.

12. Rich Watson

The funny thing is if you grew up in the UK at any point in the past seventy years you regularly saw people in drag on children's TV, not to mention every Christmas in panto, and until the last few years this bothered nobody.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

There was virtually national mourning last week when Paul O’Grady, formerly Lily Savage died. Of course, there were those who were trying to distinguish his brand of drag act from others.

And, rather incredibly, professional idiot Amanda Holden claimed that he “didn’t have a woke bone in his body”, forgetting his staunch left wing politics and the clip of him ranting against tory austerity cuts from his chat show about 10 years ago, which went viral after his death.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hell what was one way for the Beeb to honour Paul? They showed a classic episode of Blankety Blank presented by Lily Savage. Two things I noted, firstly Lily was hilarious, but secondly was how near the knuckle she was (in a wonderful way!)

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Worth adding that as the article states she's just finished playing Mama Morton on Broadway and we have no idea what her character will be, it could be campy space drag queen but could also be something way more subtle. And of course if could be brilliant or terrible either way depending how its written.

The idea that RTD would ever get rid of Chibnall's 'wokeism' was always ludicrous, we were always going to get a different kind of woke, it'll just be a way more fun kind rather than the turgid lecturing we got too often in Chibnall's era (and there's an argument for another day about just how woke Chibnall's era even was; the Doctor as literal police officer, giving us a female Doctor then robbing her of agency, the Doctor handing over an Asian Master to the Nazis etc etc...)

16. Rich Watson

And lest we forget...

[​IMG]

17. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

If RTD had somehow been in charge back then, he might've wanted curlers in Pertwee's hair for the full Hilda Ogden effect.

Which reminds me, setting wokeism aside for a moment, I look forward to the return of complaints about RTD turning Doctor Who into a soap opera again. Not only did he give companions family members and home lives, several prominent guest stars his first time around (Bruno Langley, Sarah Lancashire, Suranne Jones, and no doubt others I'm forgetting) were Coronation Street regulars, and RTD was a writer on the show. All hail Doctor Who, the Big Woke Soap Opera, coming soon!

1476480869-hilda-ogden40.jpg

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to a lot of things RTD will bring back...other things less so :)

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. Rich Watson

Yee-haw!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  20. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) Ugh with the woke
    2) Chibnall was n*e*v*e*r woke. In fact, he was the very antithesis of woke. Casting a female as the Doctor does not one woke make.
    3) I'm sure RTD knows what he's doing. Still excited he's back, let's roll!!

David cgc likes this.