[Rumor] The complete Saga 4K Bluray box set in the works

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mach5, May 2, 2019.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everyone knows that when people say "theatrical cut" they mean pre CGI changes for the SE. Being pedantic about it isn't helping discourse because you are arguing a point that nobody is making.

ichab, Gaith, Booji and 1 other person like this.
  2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

You're taking this far too seriously.

Prints still exist of pre-SE Star Wars. A 70mm print screened this summer. Oh, and with George's blessing no less.

BillJ likes this.
  3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure but if you gave someone the version that was in theaters in 1981 (with A New Hope and a stereo mix) most people would call it even. (Myself, I want the mono sound mix and no New Hope, but I'm picky.)

Campe likes this.
  4. Campe

And by the by, yes there was an original theatrical cut. It came from the 70mm and 35mm releases in 32 theaters on May 25, 1977. Yes, there were two versions of audio in stereo and 6-channel stereo, but that is no different than different audio formats that are released now. (Not every theater has Dolby Atmos.) There were some changes shortly after that (including different explosions when the Falcon escapes Tatooine, a few differences on Yavin and different end credits) and then a mono version with significantly different audio a few weeks later. (Obviously, then the 1981 re-release added Episode IV - A New Hope.)

I, for one, have never seen that exact version. But I would love to.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am satisfied with the 4k editions circulating online... The fact that an amateur can get that far with the projects makes me sure that LucasFilm with all its resources can do much much better, and we can have a fully restored, but unaltered release from SOME of the 35mm (or 70mm) prints that screened in 1977. Which is all that most of us would need.

ichab and BillJ like this.
  6. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I'm sure, if Disney really wanted this to happen, they could make it happen. Not sure of the legalities with the sale and George Lucas' contracts (etc.) if they would have to reopen that can of worms. Disney is in the business to make money after all and if they was a sufficient demand and profit to be made, they'd meet that demand.

7. Campe

I think this would be a super premium set because it would be for the superfans so it would likely be a smaller limited run. I think for a 4K set with all nine Skywalker Saga movies with seamless branching and multiple discs for each film with all the bells and whistles, we'd be talking upwards of $300.

8. Tallguy

I have to admit, the one thing that people who have now grown up with the SSSE's would complain about would be the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back. Which, if he looked anything like he actually did in Return of the Jedi and the new dialog wasn't tortured even by Star Wars standards, I might agree. But as it is, give me Clive Revill please.

TREK_GOD_1, Campe and Booji like this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Which means that despite the clamor, they don't think there is sufficient profit to be made to justify the expense.

Having worked in retail with people who would loudly insist they would buy something and then, once ordered in, never did, yup, I can understand the point of view.

Masiral likes this.
  10. Tallguy

Well, either they're just going to eschew selling discs entirely, or they're still waiting to take their shot. The only "Disney" releases of the movies have been digital.

I can't imagine a marketable portion of the population was clamoring for the original wider-than-Cinemascope widescreen edition of Sleeping Beauty as opposed to the aspect ration that was on DVD, but someone at Disney thought that was worth doing.

There have been how many DVD / Blu-Ray releases of these movies in the last fifteen years? And now they're all on Disney+. If they ever do discs they're going to have to do something to get people off the bench.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Campe

BillJ likes this.
  13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that works out to $36.66 per movie. For comparison, other recent 4K disc releases are going for about $25 to $30 each, and 4K discs of movies that are a few years old -- even fancy steelbook sets -- are listed at less than $20. So this SW mega-set better come with a ton of extra features, and a perfectly working replica of BB-8 and a flying model of the Millennium Falcon.

Kor

BillJ likes this.
  14. Tallguy

We could almost buy our own ship for that!

Smellmet, Booji, N-121973 and 3 others like this.
  15. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Turtletrekker likes this.
  16. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You may want to read this report of the sets on Digital Bits. Apparently JJ Abrams asked for their inclusion in the new Skywalker Saga box sets coming at the end of March, but they declined.
    https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/121919-0930
    According to this article there will also be an 18 disk set (sans 4K) in the UK with each film getting its own dedicated extras disk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082WXD4ZH/ref=nosim?tag=thedigbit-21
    I'm hoping that means all the extras not on the now inaccurately titled Complete Saga set are included, though if there's no dedicated saga-wide bonus disks I don't hold out much hope for Empire of Dreams or any of the extras on that set like Star Warriors and Star Spoofs being present. The extras contents of the set will determine whether I'll buy that as opposed to the standalone Episode 9 release.

Campe likes this.
  17. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, but who's gonna fly it kid, you? :)

18. Campe

I want 4K versions so that is leaning me in the direction of a purchase. But if the pricetag is as hefty as rumored and the bonuses are limited, I may be doing them piecemail as I assume there will be individual releases someday if not release date of the saga.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I own everything on Blu-ray (except the current film) and The Last Jedi on 4K disc. I can't see ponying up for the 4K ultra set unless they include the original trilogy in its original form.

ichab likes this.
  20. Campe

Which sadly is not happening.