Rugby Union 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jono, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wallabies won 21 - 15 in a fairly average display, which shouldn't be surprising given all the changes. The good news is they kept the opposition out for a second game in a row, but gave away too many penalties again, including an unnecessary yellow by Simmons for a punch. Leal also had a poor night with the boot (the Scots must have some talisman that puts off Wallaby kickers) only getting 4 of 9, so Scotland was able to stay in sight of the Wallabies for the entire game. At least normal service has resumed and the Wallabies beat Scotland.

The pitch was terrible. I don't think I've seen a stadium with the profile of Murrayfield fall apart from the first minute to such an extent.

2. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I watched most of the second half live and haven't gotten around to seeing the rest yet, but it didn't seem as though the game reached any great heights. As Jono mentioned the myriad personnel changes made that all but inevitable, but Scotland made things difficult as they've done the last several times we've played them. Odd to see Leali'ifano miss so many shots, which was about the only thing in the bit of the game I saw that stands out for me.

Oh, another thing stood out - the atrocious surface. Murrayfield is supposed to be one of the leading rugby stadiums on the planet but one wouldn't have gained any such impression from today's game.

3. Orac Zen

So very, very disappointed for Ireland. What on earth do they have to do to finally beat the All Blacks??

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On my way to bed after another heart stopping Wallabies vs Wales game. 30 - 26 to the Wallabies in the end and another game for Gatland to decree as a not a "real" test, but a "friendly" instead. They looked set with a 14 point lead going into the last quarter when Wales came back hard. Great defence by the Wallabies saw them hold out, even when Cooper got binned with about 8 to go. Some great (and crazy) tries in the game, a lot of big hits and willing contests. A good game to end out the year.

Can't believe that the Wallabies were as close as a inexcusably poor linesman call away from a Grand Slam after how bad things got from the end of the Lions and through the RC. I was ready for only 2 wins, so I'm pleased they got 4.

5. Orac Zen

Amazing game. The first half especially was as good a half of rugby as I've seen in a very long while and highlighted just about everything that makes the sport great. Both sides threw pretty much everything possible at each other and deserve plaudits for it.

On the whole it's been a pretty disappointing year for Australian rugby but that was a welcome high point to finish on. The "new era" still needs a lot of work and we still wouldn't really have troubled NZ or SA (the numerous instances of poor discipline and poor decisions would have been punished much more severely by NZ in particular) but there's a glimmer of hope there.

See you next year. :bolian:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. NCC1701

NCC1701 Commodore Commodore

Finally managed to see the Ireland-All Blacks game, it wasn't so much that we won as that Ireland managed to lose after leading for over 80 minutes. Seems there is plenty to improve before the England test series next year. The fixtures for that and the Rugby Championship has been released, Christchurch gets the shaft - but at least gets to host England playing the Crusaders for a mid-week game - and Napier gets an All Black test for the first time since 1996. Looking forward to a well-deserved break for the Southern Hemisphere teams, and then back into Super Rugby come January!