Romulan Star Empire?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by johnnybear, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Sherlockbatch 8-Ball 4c Without A Doubt.jpg

2. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Even if SNW does lead into a straight-up reboot of TOS I think I'm OK with that. It's not like TOS would suddenly stop existing.

3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Be interesting if They decided to somehow tie the events of "First Contact" & "Regeneration" into SNW's storylines and have Pike realize at some point that history has been slightly altered.

Perhaps his accident doesn't go exactly as foretold, or actually occurs earlier than thought in which he survives with less injuries and he decides to investigate why.

4. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

It was your idea to flounce from your own thread. And it was your idea to be dishonest about it. So don't play the victim. :rolleyes:

XCV330, nightwind1 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  5. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dishonest? How was I dishonest?
    JB

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Better to reconsider ones initial statement as being not entirely correct when presented with the available Facts, than declare that one is "leaving the field and taking ones ball."

Which is pretty much what you did.

There's no shame in admitting that your assumptions may have been wrong all along.
    It usually ends up improving ones outlook, rather than destroying ones enjoyment.
    :shrug:

7. Jack Wolfe

Jack Wolfe Commodore Commodore

Now you're being disingenuous, too.

Flounce setup.

The flounce.

After more post-flounce posts:
    The "lulz, wut?"

You do you.

XCV330, nightwind1 and Ianburns252 like this.
  8. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back on topic....
    Was that a Reman punching Pike?

DaveyNY likes this.
  9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

ezgif-3-c15ad7fddb.gif
    ezgif-3-a0ff11c98e.gif

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There has been no contradiction of events, only of popular interpretations of earlier episodes. Having different creative ideas in fiction is not the same thing as contradiction.

Taking TOS characters who were shallowly-written and giving them depth and complexity is not a contradiction.

The only time the look of TOS changed was when CBS released the remastered edition of TOS in 2006-2007 and thereby added CGI versions of the original visual effects. Nothing about SNW changes the look and feel of TOS, remastered or original editions.

SNW does not replicate the look of TOS because it is completely unrealistic to expect an ongoing 2020s high-def television series with a mass audience to re-create the look of a program made almost 60 years ago for a low-def analogue cathode-ray technology that's completely out of date.

The vast majority of people feel that SNW replicates the feel of TOS very well however.

They have openly stated that they decided to make SNW because they love TOS and want to do a modern version of it.

It may in fact surprise you to learn that people can have different creative impulses than you when creating fiction without hating the thing they're reinterpreting. Not everyone has the mindset that change is bad or that creative reinterpretation equals disrespect. Art is all about evolution and reinterpretation over time. Shakespeare did not survive because everyone continued to replicate the look and feel of the Lord Chamberlain's Men's original productions at the Globe for four hundred years.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  11. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

Yes, I like that too. Even Gene Roddenberry said "Forget TOS" when TNG first aired, CMIIW. Plus, we have already have some events in Star Trek that had change so many history so far. Like First Contact, Picard S2, etc.

fireproof78, Jack Wolfe and ScottJ85 like this.
  12. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

There's a trick to successfully flouncing from a thread. Don't announce it, just leave.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Wrong color and the
    Remans didn't have cheek...spikes(?)
    SNW Orion's Office 1c2.jpg

But then, with all the reimagining of various species' looks, you never know.

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as we don't see their faces, there's no continuity here to violate. ;)

15. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

We can see their faces. The crew can’t.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Then let's bring in the Borg. Have them fully identify themselves and then attack Earth.
    :borg:

My point is that continuity isn't all that terribly important. New stories replace old stories. If continuity becomes a limitation, then alter it and move on. It's what Trek has been doing since 1966...

nightwind1 and Campe like this.
  17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or it could be body modifications. I am going with yes until shown otherwise.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  18. wayoung

Or even a modification the other way, slave Remains having their fangs pulled

19. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I kind of wonder if the V'tosh Ka'tur will be how SNW do the Romulans. Like, some V'tosh Ka'tur are actually Romulan spies. We know that there where Romulan spies on Vulcan as early as ENT season 4. And we know from PIC season 1 that even in the late 24th century, Romulan spies are still posing as Vulcans. I just think it seems, well, logical.

20. wayoung

I still say that the best way to do it is that most of Federation history pre TOS has been a cold war between Romulus and Vulcan with only the highest levels of government in both organizations even aware of it and the whole Earth/Romulan war was a proxy war Vietnam/Afghanistan style with the Romulans trying to take out a rising potential Vulcan ally, a trilogy/miniseries bookmarked by meetings at a far off station NuBSG opening style between one representative of each organization playing metaphorical 3D chess with Humans as the pawns.