Romu-gons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by mike hill, Mar 25, 2021.

1. mike hill

mike hill Lieutenant Red Shirt

Going on the photos that I've seen, the RBoP studio model was only a few feet across - so a guy with a hammer and axe would probably suffice.
    But either way, it is a shame it was never used again.
    I always prefer to see the Rom "empire" as quite small and totally englobed by the NZ.
    And also quite technologically isolated and stagnant. Their FTL system, whatever that is, (debate which we've already had a million times) is obviously slower and more fuel hungry than the Big E's and so each time they appeared, the Big E out ran them.
    So I wish we had kept this slow, smaller, backward ship for each Rom appearance - but what can you do?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

All I know is that post-Star Trek (meaning, post-1969 onscreen) representations of the Klingons - with Worf excepted, and Martok was often interesting as well - have been almost uniformly horrible, while the Romulans (JJTrek notwithstanding, thanks very much) have been fascinatingly presented, right through PIC.

And now I suddenly want to reread The Final Reflection.

mike hill likes this.
  3. mike hill

Phaser Two, I can only agree about post TOS Klingons, with very few exceptions.
    And, having read the superlative (and sadly and most unjustly consigned to the noncanon scrapheap) "The Final Reflection" several times over the decades, I can only share your desire to reread TFR again!!

nightwind1 and Phaser Two like this.
  4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Exactly. I think I (possibly accidentally) donated mine a while back, so I'll have to see if it's still in print. :beer:

mike hill likes this.
  5. mike hill

I sadly lost my original copy in a house move several years ago. But EBay jumped to the "rescue" and now I don't let it go.
    Hope you are successful finding it again.

Phaser Two likes this.
  6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's from The Final Reflection. In that the Klingon state owns everyone, as it has the details of an individual's DNA background, which they need to reproduce (TFR goes with the idea of cross-species breeding needing gene-editing in-vitro, not just happening naturally due to a common ancestor).
    The IDIC Epidemic depicts a plague resulting from cross-species breeding; the cure for that means the pure-bred (in-bred?) Imperial Klingons no longer need to isolate themselves from alien contact and became the dominant type after 2270.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    JonnyQuest037, Timo and Phaser Two like this.
  7. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

Ooo. I didn't know that, actually. Neat lore.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In TFR, knowledge of an individual's genes is indeed leverage, but it is something an exceptionally powerful player holds against a specific disadvantaged upstart whose origins are a matter of some intrigue and deceit. Whether this would hold true for the entire society goes untold in the book; the specific bit of drama plays out more like a S31 agent having special data on Spock's genes...

Timo Saloniemi

mike hill likes this.
  9. mike hill

And it is implied that the character in question is the first Human/Klingon fusion, the culmination of decades of experiments on captured Humans (many taken by "space pirates" prior to USS Sentry's official first contact).

10. diankra

That makes sense but istr that Krenn's consort is also a fusion, so while human-Klingon might be new, klingon-something is less so.
    It's a while since I read it, but doesn't he get McCoy senior to do a DNA scan of her to bypass Imperial Intelligence's hold over them?

mike hill likes this.
  11. mike hill

Yes, I agree. But it was Krenn's consort, Kelly, who I was referring to.
    She is bullied in the orphanage for her smooth forehead. And, yes, Dr McCoy's grandfather tested her DNA (which is implied to be part Human - after all what other DNA samples would an old country doctor have?) to overcome II's control over them.
    I stand to be corrected, but I am not aware of any other TFR characters stated or implied to be Human (or anything else) fusion Klingon.

12. diankra

IIRC, Sarek talks about the newly developed techniques that allowed him and Amanda to have a cross-species son, and Krenn stifles laughter about it, while wondering how many Vulcan slaves will be sent home without a spacesuit once the Klingon government realises they have been leaking gene-splicing info.

13. Scott Kellogg

Scott Kellogg Commander Red Shirt

As a kid, I watched a lot of WWII movies & TV shows,
    so the German-Analog Romulans were much more interesting to me than the Soviet-Analog Klingons.

Scott Kellogg