Rogue One questions

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Dr. San Guinary, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks...

...I still can't bring myself to watch Resistance, so I couldn't be absolutely sure. (I did fast-forward through Ewoks: Battle of Endor yesterday, tho!)

Timo Saloniemi

2. Dr. Kravaal

Dr. Kravaal Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Star Killiers death beams are likely something new…Quintessence IIRC

3. Dr. San Guinary

Dr. San Guinary Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
    Okay, new one:

Exactly when is the U-wing fighter supposed to fly with wings stretched out, as opposed to pointed straight ahead?

In the film, when the U-wing is on approach to the rebel base at Yavin, it spreads its wings when it lands. It also takes off that way, but points them ahead right before it goes into hyperspace.

But after that, when the U-wing lands on Jedha, its wings are always pointed ahead, even during landing. In fact it never spreads its wings again throughout the entire rest of the film.

So what's the deal here? When is it supposed to do one thing vs the other?

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wookieepedia says the following at the page for this ship:
    It cites the book Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide as the source for that tidbit.

In actual behind-the-scenes practice, I think they go with what will look better in the scene in question.

Kor

5. Timo

...The "other" U-Wing down at Scarif also spreads its wings for a pull-up maneuver at around 1:42:40.

It then folds them forward again for a landing and deplyment of troops at 1:44:45. Makes sense to reduce the footprint on the landing zone, I guess, even though disembarking or embarking does not absolutely require one wing position over another.

No real rhyme and reason there. But it could be all about "energy states", be it as regards aerodynamics, repulsorlifts, or the dissipation of heat from energetic machinery of other sorts. When a VG aircraft today flaps its wings, it's not always intuitive why a spreading or a feathering is taking place at a given moment...

Timo Saloniemi

6. lightspeedbear

lightspeedbear Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not an answer to the question but just a quick word to say they did a great job introducing a new starfighter (ok not technically a starfighter) into the OT time period and making it look and feel like it belongs. Big fan of the U-wing. The behind the scenes feature on it on the RO bluray is really interesting, I could listen to Doug Chiang talk about SW design all day.

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The U Wing and Blue Squadron were the best things about Rogue One.

8. Timo

...And the 'stache on the General. And the sideburns on the Imps. Period dramas generally fail on the hair dept specifically, but here they had the guts to go full 1970s where it mattered.

Some of the tactical stuff is counterintuitive. A pintle mount on the U-Wing works like a baseball bat on the kneecaps of the walkers, when cannon the thickness of one's leg were helpless against them at Hoth? A Star Destroyer superstructure is tissue paper to another Star Destroyer, which also cuts through the planetary shield generator ring, but nobody tried ramming the ring previously? (Are the wedge parts of SDs perhaps especially armored?)

Yet much of it is classic and recognizable. But any idea on how Vader followed Leia to Tatooine through hyperspace, if he wasn't tracking his daughter through a Force connection that should not have been there yet? Is there a classic trick for that, despite Solo's later protestations?

Timo Saloniemi

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Tantive IV wasn't being evasive, they just jumped directly towards their next destination, which was in a pretty empty part of the galaxy. You don't need fancy hyperspace tracking for that, just the ability to draw a straight line from the direction they jumped off in. Presumably, there were multiple plausible destinations when the fleet in TLJ jumped away, so they were surprised that the First Order immediately came out right on top of them (especially since they themselves stopped well short of their true destination).

lightspeedbear likes this.
  10. Timo

Hmm. I have major trouble with Tantive IV not being evasive to the max, given the situation!

But her arriving on Tatooine poses assorted other problems that Rogue One doesn't exactly help solve, even if it doesn't make all of them worse. In terms of ANH, all we see is the Princess going to a place where the General hides, everything else being a coincidence. In terms of wider SW, Vader must be thinking "My home planet, WTF?!?"; no fewer than three people strong in the Force are now buzzing around him; and a guy named Skywalker is registered as living down there, even if in a family of a different name. It's not just a case of him putting 1+1 together, but 1+1+1+1+1...

Without Rogue One, we could think that the presence of Leia aboard comes as a surprise to Vader, and that there was no chase as such, only an intercept based on a tip-off. The intercept then happening close to Tatooine could be chalked off as a coincidence, and Vader wouldn't think of the place as a destination.

(It can still be that, of course. Perhaps it has been weeks since the Battle of Scarif, so that there has been time for the news to spread - but Vader has cast a wide net that prevents Leia from reaching Yavin, and now the net has twitched and drawn Vader to this random intercept location.)

It would be worse still if tracking of ships through hyperspace were trivial. Or if it were trivial for Vader thanks to a Force trick of some sort. Both would conflict with the tracking of the Falcon to Yavin in major plot terms!

Timo Saloniemi

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

My copy of "A Certain Point of View" is all the way over on the other side of the room, but from what I recall, the first short story, from Rogue One writer Gary Whitta, went into the fact that the reason the Tantive IV was carried to the battle inside the Profundity was that it was being repaired, and it launched in less-than-ready condition, so they weren't sure the ship would make it to Kenobi if they tried to take a less direct route, and Antilles planned to scuttle the ship once they landed and find other transport to get back to Alderaan. Indeed, the hyperdrive failed just before they reached Tatooine, so they had to travel further than they'd hoped in normal space out in the open, where they were a sitting duck for Vader.