Roberto Orci Not Directing Trek XIII

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by MvRojo, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Hey you're talking to someone who ranks TMP as the number one movie precisely because of it's serious tone. Still, to deny that humor is not a big part of Star Trek, I fear, to me, is a fools errand...

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love TMP (my favorite Trek film) and I also love "double dumbass on you"! And other some other stabs Trek made at comedy. I'm a contradiction wrapped in an enigma dipped in chocolate.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

+1.

I used to try to rank the movies, but I recently realized that over the years my 1-10 has changed a lot. I like them all, and the ranking changes with each viewing.

The JJ movies aren't included in my ranking system. Not because I don't like them, but because I haven't seen them enough yet.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree that it's a mostly fruitless endeavor. It can be fun exercise every time a new thread comes up, but realistically the quality from the best to the worst doesn't really deviate all that much--at least not nearly as much as some seem to insist it does.

All 12 have problems on top of problems. But, at the same time, they all maintain a level of technical professionalism beyond the scope of badness some love to attribute.

The vast majority of them fit somewhere between an A- and a C+. In other words, Star Trek film is a B student.

5. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I agree with that, too. It's the same for some of my other favorite franchises... including Zelda, as it were.

6. Bill Peters

Bill Peters Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That is very true still Star Trek II III IV VI and 09 and STID all seem to have a special Place in that ranking quite high on my list...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  7. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

That's misleading. I like humor in my Trek, I just prefer good humor, not lowbrow Adam Sandler shit.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I LOLed out loud in the theater. :cool:

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Absolutely, right up there with tribbles and Star Trek IV. I also love McCoy's "I can fix that!"

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That's a fair point I didn't even consider. We've all likely seen the original films (1-10) so many times we can quote them in our sleep, and on demand. Now, I've seen ST09 more than 100+ times, but STID only 38 times. I think more research is needed. :D

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Nobody's going to agree on this one. Humor is one of the most subjective things in the world. That being said, some of the humor in JJ Trek like the Enterprise as a sub or Scotty's dumb MiniMe sidekick made me feel like I was watching Galaxy Quest.

12. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Same here.

But aside from the farm animal joke in ST09 none of the humour was that offensive.
    I'm just not into the slapstick kind of humour.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Was the Enterprise as a "sub" supposed to be a joke? Came across as serious to me. Keenser wasn't a joke either. Most of the humor in the scenes with Keenser came from Scotty.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I didn't expect agreement. Just that humor is nothing new to Trek. Definitely depending on individual variation there. :)

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The humor at its lowest point in the Abrams films is no more cringe worthy than the Ferengi comedies DS9 kept throwing at us.

16. Bill Peters

Bill Peters Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Reason I love the JJ verse is it has so much in common with DS9 in tone and Style....

17. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

'I know this ship like the back of my hand' and half of The Voyage Home are at least as goofy.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved the humour of the new movies. It's the right balance, IMO.

Certainly a billion light-years ahead of "boobs firming up" and Data making noises I can't describe politely with holographic Joe Piscopo.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or the corny Walton's moment between the big three at the end of every TOS episode.

20. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

If you're a fan of JJ Trek, defend it on its merits. Don't just use the "well, all of Trek is medicore crap" argument. It's weak.