Spoilers Riverdale

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by dahj, Dec 22, 2016.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

We used to be friends a long time ago but I haven't thought about you lately at all....

No? They aren't in the Veronica Mars universe because that songs fits "Archie" perfectly.

2. bigdaddy

So anyone watch this 'show'? I found it dreadful and anyone who said it was like Veronica Mars and Twin Peaks should be fired as a writer. It was 55 minutes of horribly boring and badly written nd acted soup, with 5 minutes of murder mystery and weird narration.

And I was offended by the gay character because it was 'LOOK THE GAY CHARACTER!!!!' every time he showed up on screen.

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently, Archie Comics are just too darn happy and thus need to be ruined... :sigh:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It was very Bret Easton Ellis-ish, wasn't it? I was reminded as much of Twin Peaks as I was of the Rules of Attraction film, with some obvious Mean Girls rips.

I think I enjoyed it, even if every five minutes or so I went, "Don't do that to that beloved character!" (The discussion of Moose's penis size -- I can't quite believe that actually happened.) I found myself responding to the characters that I've known since I was a little kid, and that made for some occasionally uncomfortable viewing. These are sixteen year-olds who are essentially synonymous with post-war American innocence; "edgy" and "sexy" aren't in the same ZIP code.

I don't know how long the show can last. The murder of Jason Blossom -- a bullet through the forehead -- isn't a storytelling engine that can sustain multiple seasons. If it's resolved at the end of the first season, then what does the show become? Will it avoid the meandering pointlessness of Broadchurch's second series, another example of a concept stretched out beyond its natural conclusion?

Maybe the show can reboot its format every season -- Archie's Weird Mysteries (Archie and the gang hunt supernatural monsters) one season, Jughead's Time Police (Jughead as Doctor Who) the next, The Man from RIVERDALE (Archie is a teenage super-spy) the season after that. Life with Archie (Archie is an adult and married to Betty or Veronica, depending on which timeline you're in) a season or two after that.

5. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a bit too heavy on teen angst and too light on mystery for my tastes, am willing to give it another go next week, see if it picks up.

It looked pretty great though, that was some nice cinematography throughout.

bigdaddy likes this.
  6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Did we watch the same show because I thought it was awesome! I love how they portray the characters, especially Betty and Veronica amd wamt to see more, I can't wait for next week, it was a great pilot!

7. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well.... I'm with Allyn... I think I enjoyed it... I'm still processing... I'm an old-school Archie fan and had a bunch of the comics and digests when I was a kid.

I'm not sure how to react to some of the stereotypes portrayed and how Archie isn't this clean-cut all-American teen we've grown to know.. Ms. Grundy?? REALLY??

I do like the Betty/Veronica friendship.. Much less adversarial than portrayed in the comics, but we'll see how long that lasts.. And I'm curious to know what got between Arch and Jughead to cause their friendship to fall apart.. I also hope that Reggie becomes Archie's pseudo-nemesis as he is in the comics, but it looks like he's just a supporting character at this point.

Yes, it was overly teen-agnsty, and certainly not intended for my demographic (35-45), but I will give it another shot to see if it sticks beyond just morbid curiosity.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jughead. He's one of the twins from the Suite life of Zac and Cody. :)

Not thrilled.

I was looking away from the TV when Betty and Veronica started kissing, so I really need to roll back the tape at some point and figure out how the #### that the hell happened.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Cheryl was singularly unimpressed with Betty and Veronica's tryout, so Veronica decided to kiss Betty to bring some heat to the proceedings. Cheryl was unimpressed with the "faux lesbianism," too. That's all there was to it.

Guy Gardener likes this.
  10. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One episode was more than enough. :thumbdown:

Galileo7 likes this.
  11. Guy Gardener

Are you gingerphobic?

I can suggest a good therapist, if you need one.

12. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't need therapy. Just a prescription for something to remove the teenage angst from my brain.

bigdaddy likes this.
  13. Guy Gardener

You didn't see that angst as choice dating advice?

Archie's dad is from Buffy.

This is what I am watching now.

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell.. Archie's dad is from BH 90210.. THE holy grail of teen angst..

bigdaddy likes this.
  15. bigdaddy

It's not just teen angst, it's 2005 teen angst where fake lesbianism is fine, but we need to have the characters go "he's gay" every time that damn guy came into a scene. It just DRRRAAAAGGGGGED on and on.

All else I can say is that I almost wished I watched Scandal.... :alienblush:

16. Guy Gardener

The scene underlined that faux lesbianism is boring and you're a chump if you fall for it.

Which is one step away from saying that all simulated sexuality is a waste of time.

Last night's Scandal Was irrevocable!

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've never been an Archie fan, aside from watching the Filmation cartoons as a kid; so I'm acquainted with the characters, but I know more about the comics from reading articles about them on comics-news sites than anything else. So the elements and characters here were only moderately familiar to me, and I didn't have any emotional investment in them. I watched it more out of curiosity because it's a Berlanti production than for any other reason.

I thought it wasn't bad, but it's interesting in that it seems to be more about Betty and Veronica than it is about Archie. And that's good, because I think their burgeoning friendship is the best thing about the show, and I think Lili Reinhart (Betty) did the best acting in the episode, by a significant margin. (I loved how many expressions flitted across her face in like two seconds when she was reacting to Veronica setting her up to ask Archie to the dance.) At this point, I'm more invested in B&V than in any other characters in the show.

One thing I find interesting about Camila Mendes's casting as Veronica is that her face reminds me more of the original 1940s Bob Montana character design than the more familiar Dan DeCarlo-style version.

18. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

I don't follow Archie comics either and I'm only familiar with the characters through pop culture. That's why I checked out the show, I wanted to see a live-action Archie, and I found that it didn't have much going for it beyond that. Oh, and I totally didn't recognize Marisol Nichols, who played Veronica's mom.

Don't know if I'll keep up with it. Probably not but if they ever bring in an updated Sabrina or other Archie Comics EU characters, I'll definately check back. Want to know where they can go from this season's murder? That's where. They've already included Josie and the Pussycats.

Next, I plan to check out To Riverdale and Back Again. Thanks Guy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Are they using the same high school exterior that Smallville did?

20. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

Looks like Riverdale is using Lord Byng Secondary School while Smallville used Vancouver Technical Secondary School.