Spoilers Riverdale

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by dahj, Dec 22, 2016.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

The trailer debuted a few days ago.

Archie Comics were never a thing here, so I've really got no point of reference for the characters or what to expect from this show, I'm mostly interested in the Twin Peaks-ish comparisons people are throwing around and because of Greg Berlanti's involvement so I'm willing to check it out.

The show is set to premier on January 26th on the CW.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Archie comics = Blond Jesus dummy and a Snobby %1er brunette fight tooth and nail for some ginger idiot, since girls don't have dibs.

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Hot Dog in it? Will they sing "Sugar Sugar"?

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

She was never a "jesus dummy". More of a Maryanne to Veronica's Ginger. If they were both hot for Gilligan.

5. Guy Gardener

Two separate, unrelated things.

She is a dummy, with a very spiritual centred core.

Or at least in the 80s I read an Archie comic where she went on a rant during a splash page, about how much Jesus matters and loves us.

Maybe that's been toned down in the last 30 years?

It probably has.

The latest string of covers using modern art, have been very different.

And they seem to be suggesting that something sexy is going to happen between Jughead and Sabrina the Teenage Witch... Although you can't trust covers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dunno, the one's I read were from the 70's and had no religious overtones.

7. Guy Gardener

You know that Sabrina is Satan's child bride, right? ;)

(Google,google.)

Here's an article.

http://comicsalliance.com/archie-christian-comics/

This happened in 1972, a license was sold to a Christian group, whereafter an alternate pocket universe of Riverdale was created where every character became a tool to promote Christian values in the bluntest ways possible.

19 comicbooks where made in this subUniverse, and then it was abandoned.

My bad.

I guess I made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Carry on.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    There were some comics where the reader was basically preached at from beginning to end (I noticed that the artwork in those was rather... sexed up... to draw in the readers, I presume).

Gah. I don't remember ever seeing Jughead and Sabrina together. Archie and Sabrina dated a couple of times, but Sabrina's boyfriend has consistently been an idiot named Harvey.

So who's the "Jason" in the teaser - Cheryl Blossom's brother, who's attracted to Veronica? (Apparently the Blossom siblings' family is much wealthier than the Lodges, or at least the kids go to a snooty private school where it's an extreme social faux pas to be seen with a "townie")

9. Guy Gardener

They have never stopped making Archie.

A while back they did a sliding doors thing where the universe split in half, and we got to view and compare Archie's marriage to Veronica vs. Archie's marriage to Betty (in competing comic books), not that I read it, but if it was just like the movie sliding doors, both version's of Archie's reality would have been stumbling through similar obstacles, and that would have been fun.

I guess the TV show is going to be just like Gossip Girl, but with more murder?

Jedman67 likes this.
  10. dahj

Oooh, I love that song.
    Just goes to show how little I know about the Archie universe because I didn't even make that connection.
    I mainly associate that song with that movie where Christina Ricci grows up to be Rosie O'Donnell :D

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm old enough to remember this:

12. Guy Gardener

My generations closest thing to an Archie movie, and there was one...

...Was Josie and Pussy Cats.

Meanwhile my girlfriend, tells me that this was a thing...

But I think that she's making it up.

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know a whole lot about the Archie characters, but the overall vibe of the show reminds me of late Season 2-Season 4 One Tree Hill, which has me looking forward to it.

The fact that it's being produced by Greg Berlanti and was developed directly by the Chief Creative Officer of the company that owns the Archie characters also has me paying attention because it signals a confidence in the concept that I think could lead to an infinite number of interesting narrative possibilities.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, there were the mainstream ARCHIE comics and there was a separate line of specifically "Christian" ARCHIE comics, but it was easy to mix them up since the art and packaging were pretty much the same.

(Growing up, there were a few occasions where well-meaning relatives gave me "Spire" comics because they knew I was a comics fan. I read them--because, hey, comics!--but I would have preferred Marvel or DC! :) )

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  15. dahj

Oh that happens to everybody, my well meaning relatives knew I liked cartoons and though I would have much preferred He-Man and She-Ra or Voltron instead I got a Barbie cartoon and Barbies were never my thing(LEGOs all the way :techman:).
    It turned out to be great though, because in it she fronted a rock band and they did a concert in space and due to a musical mishap accidentally traveled back in time to the '50s. :D

'80s were a great time to be in the single digits :)

bigdaddy likes this.
  16. dahj

There's an extended trailer out:

I can see why people are mentioning Twin Peaks when they talk about this show.
    I wonder if Archie is going to record an acoustic guitar single with Betty and Veronica ;)

17. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not terribly into comic book adaptations, but this looks very Smallville-ish dark.
    Murder mystery in Archie?
    My college roommate was addicted to Archie so whenever i was bored in the bathroom I'd have something to read.

18. dahj

The show premiers tomorrow.

Apparently Mädchen Amick plays Alice Cooper. But not the Alice Cooper. :(

However, if that were the case and the murder was done with a guillotine there would be no mystery... ;)

19. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll probably give it a try but I'm not expecting it to be awesome.

20. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

My wife wants us to hate-watch it, so I'm in for at least the first episode.