Ridley Scott to Direct New Blade Runner

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ridley and Tony Scott are busy guys.

This caught my eye:

Wow, they're actually going to tackle that hot potato, huh? I've been wondering if anyone would ever try.

2. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be looking forwarde to this movie! I hope Scott can do as good a job as Lucas did with his Star Wars prequels! ;)

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Its time for a Last Starfighter remake/sequel! :lol:

Anyway...this thread revived my distress at having picked HD-DVD as the winner in the high capacity disc wars, and my unplayable HD-DVD copy of the 5-disc BR is sitting there after the HD-DVD player broke. I was inspired to buy the Bluray 5-disc copy...now I can feel better that my favorite movie of all time will be sitting on the shelf soon.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ridley has an almost unblemshied record of moviemaking since 1982, with many recent successes...the same cannot be said for Lucas.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Next Starfighter"...Alex Rogen's kid has grown up and is a hot shot Starfighter...the Xur goes to take out Earth as revenge for the first film...the kid is culturally more Rylan than Human and doesn't really give a damn, but goes anyway...he meets up with a hottie girl from Earth...

6. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's debatable. Ridley Scott isn't the same person he was in 1981, he won't be able to make the same type of film any more, the new film will be different in tone just as the Star Wars prequels were different in tone to the original trilogy.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why can't hollywood make anything new anymore?

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

AS I've said before, people complaining that Hollywood should stop remaking movies is a time-worn concept and nothing new.

Heck, Miller's Crossing (1990) is effectively a reimagining of "The Glass Key" (1942).

9. Mr_Homn

Remakes are fine, but you are ignoring that they have become far more common in the last decade.

It's come to the point where remakes and reboots and sequels outnumber original stories, as far as big budget movies go.

I'll answer my own question, "Why can't hollywood make anything new anymore?"

Well, the truth is, they can (I think), but it's far safer not to. Studios know that brand recognition is what sells. With the increase in the amount of choices as to where and how we get our entertainment, it's become far safer to sell something that everyone recognizes from the past, when everyone had less choices as to what to watch. That's why this happens more and more over time.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You didn't say "big budget movies". You can't say I'm ignoring something when you it wasn't part of the statement to which I was responding.

11. Mr_Homn

My bad, I usually equate "hollywood" with "big budget", although I know they aren't necessarily one and the same. :)

Most independent or low budget films come from outside of what is known as "hollywood"

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Some of the biggest budget films of recent times have been adaptations of beloved book series and have never been filmed before.

13. Mr_Homn

Keyword being some. As in a few. Mostly Harry Potter. Still not an original intellectual property, though, since it's adapted from a book.

Fact: The majority of big budget films in the last decade have been remakes, reboots, re-imaginings, prequels, or sequels. This is the safest way of making new big budget movies, financially speaking.

14. Deckerd

Lord of the Rings? His Dark Materials? Lion, Witch & Wardrobe?

15. Mr_Homn

Yep, those too, but mostly Harry Potter. And still not original intellectual properties as you know.

How about

Clash of the Titans? Nightmare on Elm Street? Friday the 13th? Get Smart? Alice and Wonderland? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Planet of the Apes? Rise of the Planet of the apes? A-Team? Starsky and Hutch? The Dukes of Hazard? Poseidon? Scooby Doo? Bewitched? Fat Albert? The Shaggy Dog? Alvin and the Chipmunks? Fantastic Four? Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer? Gi Joe? Amityville Horror? Assault on Precinct 13? Halloween? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Dawn of the Dead? Death Race? Speed Racer? Rollerball? The Next Karate Kid? Karate Kid? Piranha? The Wicker Man? Robin Hood? Robin Hood again? Wolfman? Sherlock Holmes? The Stepfather? The Hills have Eyes? When a Stranger Calls? Land of the Lost? House of Wax? Ocean's 11? Ocean's 12? War of the Worlds? The Day the Earth Stood Still? Curious George? Psycho? The Pink Panther? The Stepford Wives? I am Legend? The Longest Yard? Batman Begins? Superman Returns? Three Spidermans? TMNT? The Hulk? The Hulk Remake a few years later? Miami Vice? Charlotte's Web? The Heartbreak Kid? King Kong? Hairspray? The Omen? Clerks II? Basic Instinct 2? Tron Legacy? Wallstreet 2? Indiana Jones 4? Die hard 4? X-files 2? Rocky Balboa? Star Trek? Star Wars Prequel Trilogy? Aliens Vs. Predator? Rambo? Another reboot of Spiderman? X-men First Class? Conan the Barbarian? And now another Blade Runner. MORE TO COME!

By no means a comprehensive list, but you get the idea. It's also not including most of the movies coming out soon, as I got most of my list from this video http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-09/ and it's a few years old.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Narnia and Middle-Earth have both been adapted before, Narnia on TV (I watched those versions quite a bit as a kid) and Middle-Earth as an animated film.

As well you should, damn good book. Imaginative alternate history, and speaking of those:

I hope it's not too long a miniseries. The crux of the problem with a lot of Philip K. Dick adaptions is they're usually adapting material too short for the running time - slapping together short stories into movies, which need a few car chases or explosions or idiotic multiple plot twists to keep the running length appropriately cinematic.

Adapting Dick's novels is wiser because they are by definition longer, but they're not exactly epic tomes - at a random stab I'd say something like four episodes would be more than enough for The Man in the High Castle, and maybe less.

Fact: The majority of big budget films in Hollywood history have been geared towards whatever was considered the safest way to budget them. Ben-Hur has been cited, so consider the heydey of the Biblical films, where numerous movies were based... often on books and plays about Biblical topics (like Ben-Hur, but also The Rope, Quo Vadis), some of which had been made into films before.

Hollywood's so relentlessly commercial to the point it's been a cliche to knock it decades anyone posting here was born (except for those of you who were birthed in the 1920s, possibly).

17. Mr_Homn

For sure. As you know, what has been considered "safe" financially has changed a lot. It has changed for the worse, IMO. There was a time where you could look forward to the summer movie season without nearly every single movie being a re-hash of a movie that has already been done. But as you correctly said, such complaints are to an extent, cliche. Doesn't mean I can't still feel that way. :)

18. Deckerd

The vast majority of them aren't big budget. What does original intellectual property have to do with your argument? Your complaint was that big budget films were repeats and I was pointing out that that's not true. I'm not getting into a list fight with you because it's pointless. Perhaps someone else will, though.

I didn't realise we were including television (Kegg).

19. Mr_Homn

Yes they are.

It's not essential to it. More of a sidenote. Lack of creativity.

No, my complaint wasn't that "Big budget films are repeats". That's an oversimplification of what I typed. Nothing you said pointed out what I said was untrue.

Agreed, because nothing I said is worth fighting over, since nothing I said was incorrect. You were the one who started listing movies, however. I only responded in kind.

:)

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I've no doubt that before film theaters were as ready to redress or remake successful works as any Hollywood production company.