Rewatching Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by tomalak301, Apr 1, 2016.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought we did though with the final scene. It's the two of them spending quality time together watching cartoons and eating popcorn. Also, it's a tie back to Memorial, but I'm not sure how relevant that is.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I agree, I thought the scene at the end with them was great. I loved that punch she gave him for flirting with the customers

3. Mommy

Mommy Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've just finished watching the episode that came after; "Human Error". I imagine that at the time, the introduction of Seven's blooming feelings for Chakotay must have sent fans screaming with surprise. Seemed to have come out of nowhere...or did I miss subtle hints from previous episodes?

4. tomalak301

It did come out of nowhere. That wasn't the reason I'm not a fan of the episode though. It was the writers pretty much limiting 7 from ever embracing Annika again.

5. Mommy

Mommy Lieutenant Red Shirt

^Maybe because there wasn't enough time as there were only half a dozen more episodes left? It would have been very interesting if they had introduced Annika earlier.

Personally, I would have MUCH enjoyed seeing such episodes in replacement of all the Kim-centred episodes...:sigh:

6. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I always looked at Human Error as Seven going through a sort of teen-age girl stage in her development wondering about adult relationships. It can probably be tied to what happened in Unimatrix Zero. She's asking questions. Will I marry, will I even want to get married or be in a long-term term relationship? What would that be like? Perfectly normal questions for a young woman (although not necessarily universal).

She picked on Chakotay because who else is there? Tom and Tuvok are married and Harry is...Harry. ;)

7. tomalak301

They had 4 seasons. The Seven we saw in Unimatrix 0 should have been the seven that we see emerge in that final season. To basically say no we're not doing that and then give her a disability felt really wrong.

I'm probably going to talk about the episode in much more detail tonight so I'm basically commenting from memory now.

8. Sophie74656

That's exactly it. Who else was it going to be?

9. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there must have been like eighty male crew members on Voyager. Why should she be limited to these clowns?

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  10. Sophie74656

because it's a tv show and they are main characters

11. locutus101

You need an in-universe explanation.

12. tomalak301

First of all, Happy 50th Birthday Star Trek. Second, 5 episodes left after this post. :)

Human Error

This episode is heartbreakingly frustrating. One thing I've always wanted in Voyager was the possibility that Seven would become Annika again, or just another step to become more human than Borg. This episode introduced the Chakotay/Seven relationship but it really didn't bother me. I loved the scenes in the holodeck, with Seven in a starfleet uniform, or the hair is down, or her being able to laugh and have personality. Yes, Seven is unique, but individuals are all unique. We all have quirks that make us human. What Seven was was kind of that middle between human and borg. Also, I love Jeri Ryan as an actress, and listening to her give interviews and I always loved when we got to see that personality on screen, in episodes such as this, Unimatrix 0, and The Killing Game.

Also, I have a question. The cortical node was the thing that caused the fail safe right? Well, in Imperfection, she got Icheb's Node and Icheb is a lot younger than Seven. Why would this new cortical node have that same fail safe, if that said node was not at full development. Maybe I'm just asking a confused question, but those last 5 minutes really made this episode not all that great. It's really a frustrating missed opportunity that I never forgave Voyager for.

Q2

This episode is full of cliches and not very good. It's a shame this ended up being Q's final episode because DeLancie (Both of them) deserved better. There's really not much to say other than that.

Author, Author

This episode is really interesting. It's hard to really justify a hologram having rights, but watching this episode I kept thinking about Dr. Moriarty (TNG's Elementary Dear Data and Ship in a Bottle) and how he is traveling in space as a free man, and I wonder if that could be applied to the Doctor's argument. When Moriarty was created, Geordi said to create a holodeck character to defeat Data. Well, Moriarty became that character and one can say he exceeded his original programming. Can't the same thing be said about the Doctor? The EMH was designed as a short term program, but due to unforseen circumstances, he was forced to expand from his original programming and he was not your ordinary hologram. One can argue that the Doctor and Moriarty are very similar and if one person can be free, why not the other?

As for the episode, this is such a great episode. I loved the Doctor's story, but I also liked the B-Plots, especially Seven talking to her grandmother. One problem I've always had with Endgame was we never saw Seven of Nine adapt to life on earth and that made me sad. At least a few episodes before that, we got to see some of that, which was nice. I also liked the follow up to Lineage (of sorts) with B'Elanna's conversation with her father. Still, this episode was about the Doctor and once again, Picardo was excellent, as was McNeil and that scene where they had the argument.

I will also say when I reviewed a prior episode, I made a mention about this episode and holographic rights. I think I made a comment about the Doctor feeling like he didn't have many and how untrue that was. Well, this episode kind of confirmed that, how the Doctor does have a lot of rights and became the individual doctor on the USS Voyager, but it was more in reaction to hearing about the other Mark 1's. It was a very interesting character episode and a very underrated one at that.

13. locutus101

Q2: I think turning engineering into a night club was a swell idea.:techman:

14. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I always thought Measure of a Man was the better episode when it came to AI rights (although the basic theme of the two episodes was different) but I really enjoyed the Doctor/Tom going back and forth at each other in the holodeck. I also like that we finally got to see an 'evil' version of Torres since Dawson was not able to be a part of Living Witness.

15. Sophie74656

ok, I think that it would be a member of the senior staff simply because they spend the most time together, they know each other the best. Like tom and B'Elanna, both being members of the senior staff they interacted daily and thus got to know each other. If one of them was some nameless ensign scrubbing conduits they likely never would have found each other or gotten to know each other well enough to be interested in a relationship.

16. Sophie74656

yeah but oh my god that wig

17. locutus101

Well, if she wants beefcake AND brains, she's come to the wrong place.

18. Sophie74656

I wonder if this had something to do with the fact that Dawson directed part 2. She said she didn't like directing and acting in the same episode so she might have had some of their scenes cut or something. But now I wonder if they were even aware that tom and b'elanna were together or not. I imagine that they were together when they went down to the planet but maybe they got separated and the people in the hospital didn't know.

19. Sophie74656

well yeah, I don't think he was either :rofl:

20. locutus101

No argument there.:lol: