Requiem for Methuselah (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Impromp2

Impromp2 Cadet Newbie

I see your logic regarding the music being composed after the filming. That would be the obvious answer; but original hand-written Brahm's manuscripts (or even copies) weren't just lying around in that state, of course. It still had to be produced by the props department. I just found it curious that they chose to copy an existing waltz already known by Brahms. Perhaps it wasn't their fault at all -- maybe they were asked to create a manuscript simply to lay on the piano while Spock played (which they did) -- and the director (not knowing) chose to include a screen shot of it by accident? Thus: creating this post all these years later ... Thanks, Maurice!

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Music heard by the characters would normally be recorded before the scene was shot, so a playback tape could be used on set for the actors to respond to, and in this case dance.

That was done with the songs in "The Way to Eden" (out of necessity for the lip syncing), and I would think the same procedure was followed for "Methuselah" if it was at all possible.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Whoops! I didn't realize this was a zombie thread. I'm out!

4. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

But you've already had some brain gnawing. Can't turn back now.

I don't like disregarding rules, but this was a good thread and I enjoyed reading it, plus I liked a lot of posts in it, something we couldn't do when it was posted.

I always thought Spock didn't actually make Kirk forget all about Rayna but he "took the edge off" as in instead of looking back at "oh I loved a robot like she was the love of my life" to "oh remember that remarkable android Mr. Flint created, she was very attractive."

I even wonder what the hell is Kirk feeling then, is he longing for Rayna or incredibly embarrassed that he fell for a fembot in about 15 minutes and can't believe how foolish he was while his crew was dying and ship in danger? I mean, how can you just go on right then, he seemed like he was throwing it all away for a woman--and she's a toaster.
    That's got to be a mid life crisis no matter what his age at the time.

Because, if Spock can just sneak in an "edit" things, maybe that's why Kirk says his logs were overly dramatized in the TMP novelization, he doesn't remember half of it.

Spock: Remember that time Scotty and I almost had it out on the bridge when the Klingons were on the ship? We stopped then but in a later sword encounter I stabbed him in the backside, forget that, now, too.

5. Impromp2

Impromp2 Cadet Newbie

"Zombie Thread"? Rules? Have I missed something?

6. Xotika

Xotika Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Since this thread is resurrected...
    I dislike this episode for a lot of things but mostly for mind-altering scene. No matter what exactly Spock makes Kirk forget bottom line is he takes part of his mind and his experiences away. The fact that he does it to someone who absolutely trusts him (or at least enough to fall asleep in his presence) makes it even worse.
    I always found it scary. And also the way Spock decides he has a right to alter Kirk's mind... It's like Kirk is not intelligent enough for matter of consent to arise, like we would treat a pet. Though probably Vulcans really consider themselves so superior to humans.
    Still it's scary and put a serious dent in "Kirk & Spock are friends" myth for me.

7. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

"Requiem for Methuselah" was shot December 2-9, 1968. The "Pseudo-Brahms" was recorded on January 15, 1969. I don't know how far in advance of the January 15, 1969, recording date that the written music would have been composed. It's likely that it wasn't available--or even yet composed--when the episode was short one month earlier. Looks like they just grabbed any handwritten Brahms sheet music they could find or produce given the production deadline.

Vger23 likes this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

"Forget..." is probably the single most powerful moment in all of STAR TREK.

[​IMG]

Vger23 likes this.
  9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

"Let's get the hell out of here" and "...his was the most...human" are probably right up there.

Marsden likes this.
  10. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'd like to add "Don't you think I know that!" by Crazy Matt.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

We discourage reviving threads that are old. Next time, start a fresh one on the topic.

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently Mr.Shatner got more than a little excited by dancing with Ms.Sorel too! :lol::rommie::rofl:
    JB

13. 3D ChessMaster

3D ChessMaster Lieutenant Red Shirt

Was really impressed with Spock's knowledge of Brahms.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

And I'm impressed there's a spoiler tag on a thread about a 50 year old TV show.

:lol:

15. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

I'll throw "But what of Lazarus" into the ring. :devil: