Replay and VAR

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jim Klag, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Rear Admiral Premium Member

In baseball and world football, the standard for overturning a call on the field is "clear and obvious error." If a replay takes minutes (not seconds) and multiple prolonged looks at replay vantage points, by definition, no error detected could be clear or obvious. I propose a 30 second time limit on replays. If the replay official has to go beyond that it cannot have been clear or obvious one way or the other and the call on the field should stand. Stick to what is clear and obvious and don't go to the point where the replay official is just guessing.

2. BillJ

BillJ History's Greatest Monster Premium Member

I used to be a proponent for replay. Now? I'd chuck it all and go back to people simply making the best call they can from their vantage point.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Jim Klag likes this.
  3. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Rear Admiral Premium Member

Amen.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It really depends on the sport. In football every play could swing the game. In most sports the bad calls are going to even out, discounting any home court or superstar bias, so the only time plays should really be reviewable is if they're close enough to the end and the game is close enough that it will swing the outcome.