Reliant, an early Earth starship.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SCE2Aux, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Commander Red Shirt

I've been wondering about this over the past week, and whilst I still feel the smaller wing is the way to go, I think they do need bulking up further. To that end, the chines have been made more boxy, and the wing shape altered to be a bit more angular.

I've also begun making cuts that add detail, and give it a more constructed look.
    [​IMG]

Michael, uniderth and tax1234 like this.
  2. Dr. Kravaal

Dr. Kravaal Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see an Orion with a stretched Shuttle Centaur atop Falcon heavy--or maybe this:
    https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-teases-falcon-super-heavy-5-rockets-strapped-together

If composites prove a pain for BFR, maybe nine Falcon cores strapped together--looking like a giant Saturn IB--but with landing legs that fold into the holowswhere the cores touch--side by side.

That out to launch the spherical hull, especially if it is wet-stage--with LOX inside and the cores mostly pure kerosene

3. IDM Imagineering

IDM Imagineering Cadet Newbie

That is gorgeoud, […]

James Rothschild
    @IDMNimagineering

[Edited by @Michael. I guess you probably meant well, but on this board we have a “no sales/solicitation” rule, which part of your message was in violation of. I edited out that part.]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2018
  4. IDM Imagineering

IDM Imagineering Cadet Newbie

gorgeous* #typo sorry.

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Great design. There aren't nearly enough spherical-hulled ships out there!

6. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a neat design, very cool... you might like this old one I did, for a contest called "Down and Dirty". :D

[​IMG]

Santaman and camerlengo biggles like this.
  7. Cancel Culture

Cancel Culture Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember that one, you should update that one Klaus. :D:mallory::techman:

9. SCE2Aux

Well it's been a while... but I've finally gotten around to picking this model up again, and have made some progress in adding detail. If I end up having the time for it, I'd like to make a sort of album showing a complete interstellar mission. The planet shown in the following images is what I imagine would be orbiting Proxima Centauri.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking about doing scenes showing departure from Earth, and ways of possibly doing planetary surface images with the shuttlepods as well. :)

Donny, scifieric, Markonian and 8 others like this.
  10. The Green Monster

The Green Monster Bad Batch of TrekBBS Premium Member

Cool.

Would you be doing interiors?

11. SCE2Aux

Thanks, I've got a couple of ideas for how the bridge could be laid out, but I'd like to do some other images first, like those surface based shots.

12. Michael

Michael [ˈmɪçaːʔeːl] Moderator

Still love that ship design! I’m glad you’ve kept on working on it. The shuttlepod looks awesome as well. And those renderings are just beautiful. I‘m looking forward to other scenes you are putting her in. :techman:

Sibyl, SCE2Aux and Cancel Culture like this.
  13. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like that ship.:mallory:

14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it but I think it needs some asymmetric touches

15. SCE2Aux

I had never considered putting some assymetry into the design, but now you mention it, I think some sort of sensor pod integrated into one of the nacelle pylons could be a neat touch. Nothing to throw off the balance of the design, but a neat detail. I'll have to experiment with this idea later in the week. Thanks!

16. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

The renders are amazing! I think would be interesting if the nacelles could rotate around that ring. So they could be in different configurations. That would the flippin' awesome.

17. The Green Monster

The Green Monster Bad Batch of TrekBBS Premium Member

I dare someone come up with a saucer section that looks like the Millennium Falcon...

18. SCE2Aux

[gasps audibly] I would never put a hunk of junk like the Millenium Falcon on the front of my ship! :lol::angel:

It's a neat concept (and the shape of the secondary hull should make it possible), but I think it would make the ship a bit too '24th century' like the Intrepid Class's rotating pylons. I'd like to keep the ship as a clunky static shape, something that looks like it can barely maintain Warp 1.

19. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I don't know what the purpose of the Voyager's rotating nacelles we're. But the Phoenx also had movable nacelles. There are pictures of the S.S. Valiant model that have necelles in two different positions, so presumably they could move too. I don't know that moveable nacelles are necessarily more futuristic. But it's your design and it's cool as it is.

SCE2Aux likes this.
  20. SCE2Aux

I've made a first attempt at making the new 'hyperspace' style warp effects that have been used since the first Kelvin timeline movies.
    [​IMG]

Also working on some asymmetric details - first up is a low yield plasma cannon, more useful for swatting incoming space rocks than for combat. I tried to make it look like the cannon taps off its plasma from the transfer conduit that runs between the fusion torus on the back of the secondary hull and the nacelles.
    [​IMG]

Dr. Kravaal, scifieric, Sibyl and 5 others like this.