Referenced but unseen alien species

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TJ Sinclair, Jul 25, 2021.

1. oldtrekkie

oldtrekkie Captain Red Shirt

Well, there was a matriarchy on DS9 but they all had pustules on their faces. What the hell what that about?

The thing I find a bit offensive in Star Trek is that the only matriarchies that we've seen all have glaring flaws, Like the males are some diminished imbeciles. As if the only way that the women could ever be in charge is if there is something very wrong with the males. If you see what I mean.

2. oldtrekkie

Yes, but if you remember we saw their pictures on Archer's computer, so they're not really unseen.

3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You forgot to mention the Talerians in TNG "Suddenly Human". They were seen - and looked almost human - in the epeisode, and so do not belong in a list of unseen aliens. But their name sounds a lot like the names of the other species you mentioned. In fact all those alien species names sounded the same to me, causing a lot of confusion.

Phil Farrand, in The Nitpickers Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, mentions some of the name confusion in the section The Creator is Always Right and gives a humorous explanation.

4. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was using the basic Egyptian rule in determining name similarity. T*R*Lian, with just interchangeable vowels and optional repeated letters. Talarian switches the consonants and is a much different sounding and written word than the others.

TJ Sinclair likes this.
  5. oldtrekkie

A lot of people tend to switch syllables in three-plus-syllable proper names with no malicious intent. I have a family name of four Syllables. If I got a dime for every person who got it wrong the first time they said it, I'd be rich.

6. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you miss Angel One and Sanctuary?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  7. oldtrekkie

Both are terrible episodes.

8. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From 1987 to 2001 counts as "for the first time in forever," certainly, and there had been 14 seasons worth of episodes since "Sanctuary." They weren't missed, they were *a very long time ago*.

9. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, why do you ask? Neither was recent at the time of "Shockwave."

10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't miss them at all.

;)