Reactions to the Kelvinverse Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Archer, Jun 28, 2019.

1. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah something I always found funny is that not only the E-D but *Voyager* should have plenty of space on board for *multiple* spaces at least as big as the TMP Rec Deck - if not even *bigger*...but somehow on the small screen, the ships just looked...smaller.

And if you look at the underside of the Enetrprise-D saucer, you see all of those giant windows that must have some interesting large spaces behind them...lounges and rec decks and who knows what. And when you upscale the Enterprise-D to accommodate the addition of 10-Forward (see my previous post) you get an even BIGGER ship...and thus even bigger rooms behind those giant windows on the saucer underside!

- bryce

new email: lbryceburchett@gmail.com

nicholasm likes this.
  2. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I think the neck is a little too back from the main deflector and I just imagine it's actually around the same size as the TOS Enterprise. I miss the warp rubber band and flash effect or any of the TOS film warp effects, otherwise it's just Star Wars hyperspace.

3. bryce

I tried to squint and just imagine that it was the same size as the TOS/TMP Enterprise, but it's definitely bigger, as the edge of the saucer in the original ship in only 2 decks tall, and the Kelvinverse version is 4 and then some space for Jefferies tubes.

But I still don't think that it's same size as the Enterprise-D. Especially if you are going by the size that the D has to be if you make it large enough to include 10-Forward. (As opposed to going by the original intention of the leading edge of the E-D's saucer to barely be 2 decks tall!)

I tend to imagine that the Kelvinverse ship is half-again as big, or twice the size at most. But I don't imagine that it's E-D sizes.

Now, the Vengeance, the Section 31 ship from Into Darkness, that thing is *HUGE*. And talk about a ghost town! It seems to be able to run on a skeleton crew (automation I guess) - but it's a GIANT ship. Even is a lot of the interior is devoted to weapons and engines, it's still got a lot of empty space inside. Just look at how empty it looked in Into Darkness!

I dunno, maybe it's standard crew is intended to be much larger...but I don't know how much larger. Or why they need such a huge crew. Especially if it can be flown fully automated. I don't think that Section 31 includes ground troops.

Also, when the hell is someone going to stop letting Section 31 build their own ships...? (I am still catching up on Discovery, but apparently they had a whole evil fleet or something...? WTF?)

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Jumping in late to the game. The Kelvin Universe Enterprise was a design that quickly became my favorite, I loved it and still do...until the Discovery Enterprise became my new favorite.

saddestmoon likes this.
  5. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked it till the anorexic version of beyond.. That one is horrible...
    And the Ent A is just ugly

Spaceship Jo and Rahul like this.
  6. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I’ve liked all versions of the Kelvinverse Enterprise - but the Beyond Refit is my fav!

She could use slightly longer, fatter nacelles, and perhaps a slightly less protruding impulse drive - but otherwise she’s near perfect! :)

pst and fireproof78 like this.
  7. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Will we finally get to see the 1701-A in action? I hope so! Model by Alexander Klemm, image by me.

[​IMG]

8. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

just a guess, but they'll probably redesign this thing. and the costumes. production designers, they love to change things.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How dare artists be...artistic! :eek:

*dun-dun-DUN!*

*close up on surprised face*

10. bryce

With all do respect I hate the Kelvinverse 1701-A, and think it needs a *serious* refit.

I wasn't a big fan of the "anorexic" version of the 1701 from Beyond either.

And why skinny-fy the 1701 for Beyond...just to replace it with one that was even clunkier at the end of the film...?

They trim down the large nacelle struts and streamline them...only to design even BIGGER ones for the replacement.

Maybe go with a completely swept-forward design like this:

[​IMG]

I also think that that saucer sits way too far back on the neck - I'd slide if forward some. And what gives with that little tiny shuttle bay!? What is that good for!?

[​IMG]

But one thing I DO like about both Kelvinverse Conny variants is that unlike their Prime universe counterparts, they both have what appear to be visible rear-photon launchers. That are on the underside of the secondary/engineering hull...in the undercut. Something that was seriously missing form the TOS and TMP versions, imho. (Well, on the '09 enterprise they look like photon launchers...on the A, they look more like lights...but that's what I think they are still. Then again, in Into Darkness, we had a bunch of photon launchers appearing out of nowhere on...some part of the ship...)

https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1701-t.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MM82gFcNlgE/V6UnGmWNSRI/AAAAAAAArLc/wkxfXVjCdhE5Kw0n7847rBJe4NuaAqJGwCPcB/s1600/Sean+Hargreaves+Star+Trek+Beyond+USS+Enterprise-A+concept+art+4.jpg

Spaceship Jo and Rahul like this.
  11. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

Going into the movie (ie. ST09), I expected a significant update to the ship's overall design. This thought was coming from the fact that there were rumors circulating that Gabriel Koerner's ship design was in the running, to be featured in the movie. When I actually saw the ship, I was pretty non-plus, but I have come to accepted for this iteration of the movies. I think the problem, as to why the ship was not readily accepted, is because it is a radical design. You can't really do that.

12. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The first picture they released highlighted the bad parts too much. In the movie, it had a few good angles, and in the end, I even got the Playmates model. I would rank it above the C, but below the E, D, and A.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, I doubt any new production company for the Kelvin films will care about keeping consistent with a ship design seen for about 30 seconds at the end of a four year old film. Heck, the nu1701 wasn't even consistent throughout the first three films.

At this point, the Kelvin timeline is going at such a rapid pace that by the time we see a new movie they'll already have the nu1701-B ready.

14. fireproof78

Sweet. Maybe it will be an Excelsior model that I actually enjoy, rather than hardly tolerate.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I think the nu1701-B will have about as much in common with the prime universe Excelsior class 1701-B as the nuEnterprise 1701 had in common with the prime universe TOS Constitution class 1701. That is, none at all.

16. fireproof78

I can only hope.

17. bryce

Does anyone thing that the Kelvinverse A looks...unfinished? Like the model wasn't super detailed, because it wasn't meant to be seen very long or very closely. It just looks very undetailed to me, compared to the original Kelvinverse Enterprise.

I mean, look at that weird shuttle bay, and compare it to the '09 1701 shuttlebay...(speaking of which, it is much smaller too when you compare the two ships side by side.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nicholasm, Spaceship Jo and Smellmet like this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a fan made recreation, so perhaps the actual model has finer detail.

That said, I'm sure the Enterprise-A will look a little different should Star Trek 4 ever make it to cinemas. Justin Lin had the ST'09/ID Enterprise modified for his movie and I suspect Noah Hawley will do similar for his too.

saddestmoon likes this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If they use the Enterprise-A at all.

20. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated it at first. Too different, off balance, brewery engineering etc. I also didn’t like that it was a brand new flag ship, and not an worn-in ship of the fleet.

It wasn’t until Discovery revealed its own Enterprise that I looked at it again ad appreciated it as just an alternative design. Now I don’t mind it.