Re-Watching Space: 1999

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which might not have been visible in the original broadcast. Older TVs had slightly rounded frames that covered up the extreme edges of the picture, because CRT images often had rough or distorted edges. So it was assumed that things right on the edge of the frame wouldn't be seen. But these days, our HDTVs and digital video windows display the whole image, so we occasionally see things along the edges that were originally hidden.

arch101 likes this.
  2. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

My version of the set has all the episodes in the original 4:3 and yet that one episode you still slightly see that off stage hand. I think it's more that on a PC screen or widescreen TV the straight edges of the picture are more visible as it sits in the centre of the screen. There's a list of bloopers somewhere that mentions you can see it even when it was originally broadcast. I'll hunt around.

Couldn't find that one but did find some goofs

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072564/goofs?ref_=tt_ql_trv_2

More detailed list

https://www.moviemistakes.com/tv11547

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's not about aspect ratio. Widening the aspect ratio obviously can't add more information than was in the original image. Again, I'm saying that the actual physical frame of TV sets covered the outer edges of the rectangular 4:3 image. It's called "overscan." Since old CRTs were unreliable in their positioning and size of the image when they projected it, the projection area on the front of the CRT was made larger than the actual picture area, and so the TV cabinet's picture frame would cut off the outer edges of the picture area so viewers wouldn't see the edges or the blank space beyond them. So it was understood that most sets would cut off at least part of the outer edges of the image, that they'd be part of the projected image but physically hidden behind the curved edges of the screen. So ideally you'd want to keep mike booms or grips' hands out of the frame because at least some sets would show the whole image, but as long as it was really near the edge, it wasn't a critical problem.

Today, though, we have digital broadcasts that require no such margin for error, so our screens display the entire image all the way to the edges, and thus such intrusions are easier to notice.

4. Gingerbread Demon

Ah....... I see.

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

On the subject of Eagle numbers,
    Probably not many otherwise
    in Black Sun they would have been able to have more than 6 people plus Carter in the cockpit

6. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Brekway Koenig arrives on the Moon on a passenger Eagle which seems can carry more than 6 people.

[​IMG]

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but upon exiting and entering the passenger compartment, they'd often tell whoever was in the command module to depressurize or repressurize. So, they tried. I just rewatched the series and that stood out. Basically, the passenger compartment was the air lock!

8. Mr Awe

Gerry Anderson tells a funny story about the original cut of the pilot. Apparently, the ITV office in the US wanted an American director so as to create an episode more palatable to Americans and more saleable to American networks. That's a general theme for the series, put particularly a strong demand for the pilot.

I forget who directed the pilot but the original cut was awful. Way over length and slow. Even the ITV US office thought it was horrible. Gerry Anderson personally cut it down to what we saw and all agreed it was a massive improvement.

9. Mr Awe

Space: 1999 was my first introduction to SF as a kid! I had not seen it since then until I recently got the Blu Ray set. Fantastic seeing it again in HD. Apparently the show was filmed on 35mm. As a kid I loved this show so much.

Rewatching it as an adult was a treat. Yeah, it wasn't scientifically accurate, but that really wasn't the point. I was impressed with how good the show looked. The Eagles and Moonbase in particular but often the sets for individual episodes were nice. The commlocks and laser guns were nice touches. They also had massive sets in the first season. There's main mission of course. But, the Nuclear Generating Plant in Force of Life was massive and fairly detailed. Space: 1999 had a distinct look that really worked. Both the main cast and supporting cast do a great job. in particular, I'd forgotten what a fantastic character Victor Bergman is. A scientists but not trapped by logic like Spock.

Unfortunately, the stories are usually the weak link. But, I enjoyed them. They seemed to emphasize the SFx over the writing. I loved the characters.

There were the major changes in season two. I won't detail the character changes as possible spoilers. But, when the 2nd season first started, I so wanted to dislike it. But, I really got into it. The added warmth and humor was good. Even the character changes. It was obviously a lower budget series though. Well, technically, I guess they had more money per episode but given the high inflation at the time, they effectively had less. You could see the smaller budget in the reduced scale of the sets and sometimes in the SFx.

It was great rewatching. Interesting exercise seeing what I remember and didn't remember as kid. I mostly didn't remember it. A few scenes here and there. A few plot points. But, mostly new. My main memories were of the Eagles, Moonbase, and characters.

DarrenTR1970 and Galileo7 like this.
  10. Marc

the actors loved the Main Mission set but by all accounts it was an pain from a production point of view as it was very time consuming for the crew to light it for a filming.

Mr Awe and Galileo7 like this.
  11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

A somewhat rainy Saturday morning, so here's three:

A Ring Around the Moon
    Meh. Another glowy thing approaches the moon, posses a couple of people and attempts to blow up the base. This one didn't do a whole lot for me.

Earthbound
    This is more like it. Most engaging episode since Breakaway so far. Nice to see some resolution to the dangling Simmonds thread. Plus there's freaking Christopher Lee along to give things a nice sense of gravitas. A refreshing lack of the metaphysical stuff that has dominated things to this point - not that that's a bad thing per se, but a nice change of pace. And good to see Simmonds get what he deserves.

Another Time, Another Place
    This was interesting. Reminded me slightly of the DSN episode Children of Time. Once again, Barry Morse as Bergman (or maybe as Bergmen?) carries things along nicely. Morse is the best thing going for this series in the acting department. And I like seeing a scientist character not afraid to say when he doesn't have an answer. The only thing that didn't quite sit right was poor Regina having "Two brains". Maybe they could have said "two personalities" or used some other terminology to get the point across. But, enjoyed this episode.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  12. Mysterion

Yeah, not only can Karma be a real bitch but it's got a real sick sense of humor, too.

13. Zeta

Zeta Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I eagerly await your commentary of Dragon’s Domain, the nightmare fuel of my youth.

14. Gingerbread Demon

And Konno loved Computer very much

15. Mysterion

Possibly a little too much. But I'm sure he used very good anti-virus software.

16. Marc

where's a picard double facepalm when I need one?

17. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

18. Mysterion

^^^^
    Well done, Sir.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Koenig looks like me on Monday mornings at the office.

Galileo7 likes this.
  20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s Koenig’s Moonday face.