Rascals Was Unique

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mojochi, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aha, proof that the whole movie is just a nexus dream!

Kor

Discofan likes this.
  2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know the girl who played a young Guinan also played a young Whoppie Goldberg in "Sister Act." Also Guinan was only in 3 episodes in season 6 and this was one of them.

Jason

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I found it unfortunate that this Rene bore no resemblance to the one we'd seen previously.

I don't even have diabetes and I feel like I should bring an insulin shot to that part of the movie. It's so horribly saccharine.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe because they wanted to show René at a young age and Birkin was already 17 by then.

5. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

This is one of my funny favorites. I will admit that I picture the episode playing out like Home Alone. :D

6. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

I thought taking over the Enterprise was way easier than it should have been. The Ferengi says it flatl: "For an investment of two surplus Klingon ships, a few repairs and some weapons, we've netted a Federation starship and her crew".

If they're taken over so easily and even the villain says it aloud, it seems like there should be some payoff to that fact. Maybe there was a traitor on board, or Riker let them win for some larger goal. But instead it seemed like just the easiest way to get to the high concept plot of the characters in kids' bodies fighting the Ferengi.

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention their are thousands of people on the ship. I mean everyone simply fighting back with phasers would enough to take out what I guess was maybe half a dozen Ferengi.

Jason

8. DonIago

Well, a little over a thousand...

9. criscodisco

criscodisco Ensign Newbie

I think more disturbing than anything is that they thought Keiko and Guinan were totally fine sitting on the bulkhead. Enterprise is chock-a-block with shuttles, just take a larger one.

Guinan can't even fit her hat under it without tilting her head!

[​IMG]

Jayson1 likes this.
  10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's like she was destined to shrink...:guffaw:

criscodisco likes this.
  11. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

A shame that a handful of Ferengi can seize a whole ship with the amount of security they have on a ship like that.

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Especially Ferengi that are so stupid that it takes only a handful of kids to retake the ship!:lol:

13. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Deep Space Nine showed that Ferengi aren't spectacular at strike teams.
    And, as Kevin MacAllister observed, "don't you know that a kid always wins against two idiots?" Stands to reason that a bunch of kids would win against several idiots.

14. KJY

KJY Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This episode it also one of my favorite examples of the whole "the crew makes an earth-shattering discovery and it's never mentioned again" trope that's so common in Star Trek. They basically discover the fountain of youth and it's never brought up again. I think the whole thing with the Ferengi trying to take over the ship is mentioned in again in Deep Space Nine, but the not the fountain of youth part.

15. DonIago

It may have been mentioned in the episode where Odo scrutinizes Worf's record to his face.

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The most unbelievable detail in this episode is the idea that an old guy (past sixty) would pass up the chance of being young again!

Throughout the series and the movies, Picard says the stupidest things about getting old and all...

17. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked Rascals way more when I was younger, when I was closer to the ages of the kids depicted in this episode. As an adult now, I find the episode really annoying. It still has its moments, but I tend to skip some parts if I'm doing a TNG marathon just to get this episode over with.

"He's my Number 1 Dad!...**Big HUG**.....HahA! Cringe!

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yes, I know what you mean. I feel the same way about TOS' "Plato's Stepchildren".

19. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Well, it shouldn't be that easy but some writer had a hair brained idea and the producers bought into it so there you go.
    Besides it's still far less egregious than Tuvok's multitudes of security chief ineptness. Everyone and their uncle circumvented Voyager's security as if there was no security.

20. DonIago

...I mean, at least they remembered the whole reroute/shutdown command functions option this time around...

I want to say the episode might have worked better if they'd expanded either of the two stories to be the centerpiece for the full hour, but both have parts that are worth keeping...

A more thought-out Ferengi takeover of the ship might have worked, but you'd likely have to cut out other parts of the episode to keep it at the same runtime...