Spoilers Rank the third seasons...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BlueStuff, Jun 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. TNG - The show at its best; classic episode after classic episode. You can count the bad ones on one hand.

2. ENT
    - I really enjoyed the Xindi arc; the show was finally starting to come into its own.

3. DS9 - Its best days were still to come but this was a strong season with plenty of good showings.

4. TOS - Well, yeah. Lots of clunkers albeit the whole season had an interesting "feel."

5. VOY - I could barely get through it; for me almost every episode was so bland and stale. There were a few good ones - all at the tail-end of the season. Thankfully brighter days were ahead in seasons 4 and 5.

I'll abstain from ranking Disco as I haven't finished season 3 yet.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Checks the calendar to see if it's been six months since the third season of DSC finished yet.... Nope. Okay, I'll stick with Old Trek.

1. TNG - This series pretty clearly had the best third season. It's not even close.
    2. TOS - I like its third season and the stand-outs (in a good way) are what make it for me.
    3. DS9 - Nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it's as good as what comes later.
    4. VOY - There were peaks and valleys.
    5. ENT - This is pure, unadulterated Bush Trek with some Farscape-wannabe looking aliens. Some episodes are pretty good, but it's not enough to overcome the issues I had with it.

EDITED TO ADD: It's not just because of spoilers, I'm really not sure where I put the third season of DSC yet. Despite being a hardcore Disco Fan, I want to be fair.

I don't think DSC S3 was as good as TNG S3, and I liked it better than VOY and ENT's third seasons, so it's really about figuring out where I put it compared to TOS and DS9's third seasons.

"How are you torn about TOS's third season?!" Have you seen my username? I like the third season of TOS, it's always been right there in the username from the very start. ;)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Qonundrum likes this.
  3. BlueStuff

I think I got two or three episodes into season 3. The reason I stopped wasn't due to lack of enjoyment (though I wasn't blown away by the few I did watch) but a lack of time. That doesn't really make much sense - especially nowadays when we can literally watch any episode anytime we want - but it somehow didn't feel like the right time to commit to an entirely new season. I'll get to it before the year is out and hopefully bump this thread (if the Mods will allow it).

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We won’t.

:p

Season 3 of DSC ended 5 months and two weeks ago. We’re probably okay with spoilers now. I could put a spoiler tag on the thread if that would make folks more comfortable discussing DSC Season 3.

BlueStuff likes this.
  5. BlueStuff

Fine by me.

1001001 likes this.
  6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

There you go. Now everyone is covered.

:techman:

7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG- maybe my favorite season of the series, although S4 is in contention as well. It’s also one of the best seasons of the franchise.
    TOS- I actually like S3 better than S2. A lot of cool, atmospheric sci-if episodes and concepts. The music, sets and uniforms seemed better too.
    DS9- Pretty darn good season of Trek, overall…these 3 (TNG, DS9 and TOS) are really tight.
    DSC- It was ok. I wasn’t thrilled with the “let’s overreact to fan criticism” decision to time jump, and the plot felt pretty “lite,” but it was still entertaining.
    ENT- Very schizo in my feelings for this season. Some great ones and some painful stuff to get through.
    VOY- Nothing inherently bad, but also nothing inherently good. Scorpion was a great cliffhanger though.

8. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG, it’s not my favorite season but Holy Hell shit was firing on all cylinders.

Enterprise, while I am not a huge fan of the Xindi concept, it was Enterprises best and most consistent season. And the acting and directing were this show at its strongest.

Discovery, so much I like about this season and still many things I have issues with but to date it’s most consistent season. Probably my biggest issue structurally is I felt, just like it’s first season that the season wasn’t long enough for its story to really breathe.

DS9, my favorite series. But season three has a serious drop in quality from season two. But it has some seriously great episodes in it. And it sets up some of the best Trek to ever make it to the screen.

Voyager, Ugh. Voyager really suffers for three years of not having a consistent idea of what this show is. The departures and return of Piller and departure again, and finally one solid year of only Taylor’s voice guiding a season. But like DS9 it really does help set up its best seasons. And we still get a few really good episodes of the show.

TOS, oh how the mighty have fallen. 1st and 2nd season are exceptionally strong seasons of Trek especially when you factor when it was made. But season three is a mess with just a few gems and a handful of scenes I really love.

9. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Ds9: Not as good as season 4,5 or 6 but still very good IMO.(The Search, The House Of Quark, Civil Defense, Improbable Cause+ The Die is Cast, The Adversary)

TNG: Not as good as DS9's but quite good nevertheless

Voyager: The second-best season of this series.

Ent: NOt as good as season 4 but not bad.

TOS: like a plate of seafood gone bad...

10. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

1. Voyager: one of the most underrated seasons in all Trek
    2. TNG: Slightly overrated imo, but still a huge improvement over the first two
    3. Enterprise: Mostly for the last third
    4. DS9: This didn't impove in season 3 as much as others
    5. Discovery: Notable step down after season 2
    6. TOS: Some good spots, but overall not great

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

1. TNG - it not only reinvigorated the show, it also was a paradigm shift for television
    2. TOS - Freiberger had to deal with a cut budget, staff leaving, trying to widen the audience range, a horriblew time slot, and other options. He seemed to be more caught in the middle than "THE KILLER OF STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!!!!"(tm) and, you bet, there are standout episodes that hold their own and then some
    3. DS9 - Definitely solid plotting improvements, but I remember more episodes of the previous two series. But if I voted based on theme consistency, then list items 2 & 3 might be swapable. Plus, DS9 has its own paradigm shift in season 4 (not as revolutionary but spectacular in its own way)
    4. VOY - hit or miss, the show is finding its way but - as with DS9 - the elevation really kicks in for season 4
    5. ENT - proof the franchise needed a refresh

12. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

TNG
    ENT
    DS9
    TOS
    DIS
    VOY

13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Tough call... but I do think Voyager's third season is underrated here. It has gems like Before and After and Worst Case Scenario... even Q and the Gray has its moments (mostly early on).

14. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall:
    TNG
    DS9
    TOS
    Ent
    Voy

Compared to the rest of their respective series:
    Ent (second best season of the series by a wiiiide margin)
    TNG (this is where it found itself, but 4, 5 and much of 6 were as good, so it slips below Enterprise in this regard)
    DS9 (DS9 had less trouble out of the gate than TNG, and 4 is where it kicks up even another notch, so pretty even)
    Voy (no 7 yet, starting to really hammer home the low stakes/reset button formula which undercut the premise)
    TOS (definitely the weakest season of its run)

15. BoTWoT

BoTWoT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1.DS9
    2.ENT
    3.DISCO
    4.TNG
    5.VOY
    6.TOS