Quick poll. Do you believe in life outside of our solar system?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gingerbread Demon, Dec 8, 2020.

?

Do you think or believe in life outside of our solar system?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2020.
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Not ever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

On the contrary I think Maybe is a great answer because there is a chance of some kind of life somewhere else in space, but also a chance of nothing and we just don't know till we are able to study it and find out for ourselves.

Life doesn't have to be walking traveling aliens it could just be alien wildlife.

2. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I voted yes, but I think space traveling intelligent life is very, very rare (unless habitable planets were seeded...)

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  3. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it damn likely...I'm not sure how much "belief" enters into it.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Without proof, all you have is belief.

BK613 likes this.
  5. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I really doubt that.

There are so many known forms of DNA life already, from the deepest pits to the extreme environs and maybe even in the high atmosphere and stratosphere (research is budding).

It is far less of a secure gamble to say 'there is no life anywhere' since the 90s and the discovery of exoplanets, or since the 10s with earth sized planets in habitable zones.

There is something out there. Mathematically, there are just too many galaxies, worlds, and time. Our planet was life bearing as early as around 4 billion years ago. Our own galaxy has 100-500 billion stars, many of them with Jovian worlds, we already know of around 4,000 exoplanets and nearly the same number of that in candidates.

Now whether or not whatever is closest to us, that they're technological or sapient, I doubt, but there are definitely some systems in reach (I define reach as say, anything within 20 LY, some good candidates in this range to look for - the Centauri systems, Tau Ceti, Delta Pavonis, 82 Eridani, Beta Hydri, Eta Cassiopeiae, Xi Bootis, with confirmed possibly habitable planets also within 20 ly at Luyten, Teegarden, Kapteyn, Wolf 1061c....) to at least look for some form of other life within the next few centuries. And I bet by 2030 this list of just what's within 20ly alone would have doubled.

We're probably not going to have Spock waiting for us in our neighborhood but there is most likely a few dozen technological civilizations in this very galaxy at this very time, we just can't communicate with them or reach them before they die out or we do. We may live out our whole existence and only find some ruins or debris afloat somewhere, but that'll be enough.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    StarCruiser likes this.
  6. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

To put it simply - SOME form of life almost MUST exist somewhere in the universe other than here. Whether that life is even 'advanced' life (that doesn't really mean Sapient) or not is not guaranteed.

Imaus likes this.
  7. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If life can happen here it can happen elsewhere. And there's a shitload of elsewhere out there.

dupersuper, StarCruiser and Relayer1 like this.
  8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nice technical evaluation there !

:techman:

Butters and StarCruiser like this.
  9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, hence my almost-yes maybe. But we still haven't found it.

And we don't know how easy or hard it is for life to happen. To use a crude analogy, are we talking toast, French toast or Crepes Suzette? :lol:

Butters likes this.
  10. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a big universe out there. So yes, some kind of life outside the solar system is more likely than not. Will we ever meet other lifeforms or recognize them as such if we do? Much more doubtful.

publiusr and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  11. Gingerbread Demon

I find a very intriguing thing in there. If we say one day landed on planet J for example and found that it was a lush world with air and water, and vegetation we could identify that but what about it's fauna would we even know what to look for in regards to native life forms?

We could wander around all day long on planet J and they could walk right past us but would we be able to tell?

12. maneth

Even vegetation counts as life forms. I'm pretty sure we'd recognize any ecosystem based on carbon and water as life, but with other elements, I'm a lot less certain.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Yes true the vegetation we'd spot right away and understand but life forms may take a totally different road, what if they're not carbon based?

14. maneth

My chemistry's a bit rusty on that front...

15. Gingerbread Demon

16. BK613

17. Gingerbread Demon

I find the thought of silicon based life fascinating. What would it eat, or drink? What could it do?

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm no chemist, but from what I've read about silicon-based life (including on that page): Silicon was selected because it behaves (chemically speaking) in a lot of ways similar to carbon, including how it interacts with oxygen. Where a carbon-based lifeform would assimilate oxygen and excrete carbon dioxide, a silicon-based lifeform might assimilate oxygen and excrete silicon dioxide.

Sounds pretty simple, right? Except silicon dioxide is ROCK. That should give you some idea of the similarities and differences.

StarCruiser and BK613 like this.
  19. BK613

We are still finding out just how adaptable carbon-based life is as well:
    https://phys.org/news/2020-12-hydrogen-supported-life-beneath-glaciers.html

TL: DR quote:
    A team of researchers, including Boyd, later discovered that through a series of physical and chemical processes, hydrogen gas is produced as the silica-rich bedrock underneath glaciers is ground into tiny mineral particles by the weight of the ice on top of it. When those mineral particles combine with glacial meltwater, they let off hydrogen.

What became even more fascinating to Boyd and Dunham was that microbial communities under the glaciers could combine that hydrogen gas with carbon dioxide to generate more organic matter, called biomass, through a process called chemosynthesis. Chemosynthesis is similar to how plants generate biomass from carbon dioxide through photosynthesis, although chemosynthesis does not require sunlight.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    StarCruiser likes this.
  20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    StarCruiser and BK613 like this.