Quark and the Dabo Girls' Deleted Scene from Insurrection

I assume Crewman6 meant in live action, which was their original point in regards to movie appearances.
True. I'm aware of the Lower Decks appearances and I have no problem with them, but it's not remotely the same thing as live action.

And (for me) the LDS appearances were surprisingly respectful, they didn't tear the ending of DS9 open, and they didn't alter the last known trajectory of the characters.

Which would not be the case if any of them had shown up in PIC, that's for sure.

And (for me) the LDS appearances were surprisingly respectful, they didn't tear the ending of DS9 open, and they didn't alter the last known trajectory of the characters.

Which would not be the case if any of them had shown up in PIC, that's for sure.

I enjoyed the DS9 episode of Lower Decks and I agree with you with one exception: Kira should have long since been a general by now. Having her still a colonel feels like a huge insult to the character.

How long was Kirk a captain? Then he was an Admiral for a couple of weeks and then was a captain some more :)

How long was Kirk a captain? Then he was an Admiral for a couple of weeks and then was a captain some more :)

2265-70, 2286-93 with the possibility that he accepted a reduction in rank to Captain to command a second five-year mission after TMP from 2273-78.

;)

Reactions: kkt
I enjoyed the DS9 episode of Lower Decks and I agree with you with one exception: Kira should have long since been a general by now. Having her still a colonel feels like a huge insult to the character.
How many years after DS9 is Lower Decks set?

It’s a shame this scene has never been released on any of the DVD/Blu-ray releases. I seem to remember the reason being they couldn’t track down the actors playing the Dabo girls in order to clear the scene for release.

But they don't have a line? Do non-speaking extras really get residuals? I assumed they got their day rate and that was it.

It would be more likely that they'd have to pay Shimmerman a reasonable amount of money which may be beyond a Blu-ray budget.

After doing some digging I found where I read this: on this very forum 10 years ago. It looks like Larry Nemecek was the original source, and it certainly sounds plausible enough so I suppose it’s reasonable to assume it’s true.

I've seen that scene. Larry Nemecek brought it when he came as our guest in an Italian Star Trek convention.

The scene was supposed to be included among the other deleted scenes in the extra contents of the 2 DVDs special edition of the movie, however they coudn't identify who the two ladies with Quark were. The assistant director (I suppose Jerry Fleck) had died in the meantime and nobody knew who the actresses were. Since they couldn't pay them to be included in the DVDs they had to leave that scene out from the extra contents. This, at least, was what Mr. Nemecek told us. He had a DVD with this scene and another extra banned for legal reason from DS9 season 5 DVD boxset and we screened them both.

Maab

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/deleted-scene-from-insurrection.115668/page-2#post-10370323

Larry normally knows his onions, but that just seems odd to me. Is there not a call sheet in the archive?

But now I'm curious what the "banned" DS9 extra was!

It's kind of a shame the scene got cut. It nicely sets up the idea that word about Ba'ku and it's metaphasic radiation was getting out and vultures were starting to try and swoop in to take advantage of them.

Quark being the first vulture to show up kind of makes sense. Since Worf, I would assume, was periodically checking in with Sisko he would have overheard Sisko and the DS9 command staff talking about the planet.

Last edited:
Interesting to read the scene. It makes no sense for Quark to be there and is a huge case of “small universe syndrome” but I’d have loved to have seen Quark in the movie. The idea of Quark shading Picard is fantastic. It could only have improved this incredibly mediocre film.

They should let Frakes put out a director's cut and add in some scenes. Oh wait...that might cost too much.

But now I'm curious what the "banned" DS9 extra was!

It was a short documentary on the making of DS9 season 5, but (I don't know who had this idea) the various producers interviewed talked with ambiguous and double meaning sentences, with a lot of sexual references. It was supposed to be something like a joke or an easter egg, but, according to what Mr. Nemecek told us, it was banned by the legal office and it had never seen the light of the day.

Back