Props Re-used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yours appears to have a taller stopper.

Boy, you're a tough crowd.

Yes, the decanter was located but without its original stopper. (Grrrrrrr.) So it cost a hundred bucks--almost more than the decanter itself, but one had to be fabricated from scratch. I'm afraid the glass cutter/blower guy didn't get the measurements exactly right by working from just screen caps. It's a little too tall and not quite wide enough in diameter. Also, it's hard to see but it has six facets instead of the proper four. (It's basically a pyramid.) It's just so hard to find good glass workers nowadays.

If I get a chance, I may have the stoppers redone (again). Low priority for me.

But getting the stopper right on a decanter does show the detail we have to go through in order to pass muster with Star Trek fans.

Last edited:
Don't even bother with getting a new stopper. Nobody will notice unless they take screen grabs from the original series and from ST:P2 and make a nitpicky comparison. Gregg, I think you're the only one with the perseverance to do it, so unless you need to satisfy your own need for perfection... ;)

Don't even bother with getting a new stopper. Nobody will notice unless they take screen grabs from the original series and from ST:P2 and make a nitpicky comparison. Gregg, I think you're the only one with the perseverance to do it, so unless you need to satisfy your own need for perfection... ;)

Well, I am a bit of an anal-retentive obsessive compulsive guy when it comes to these props. Believe me: I see a too tall stopper every time I look at the thing. But I also need to keep things in perspective. There is *a lot* of stuff I pay for and obtain for the production--from flat screen monitors for the bridge to hundreds of yards of costume material dyed to proper Bill Theiss color fomula specifications, to plane tickets and lodging for our guest stars, to, well, so much more. So yes, better stoppers will probably have to wait--but they are on my To Do list. They're just way at the bottom.

Yeah, even so I wouldn't really bother getting a new stopper unless you feel it's absolutely necessary.

So some clumsy yeoman dropped the original and Kirk had to get a new one? Big deal. ;)

Well, I am a bit of an anal-retentive obsessive compulsive guy when it comes to these props. Believe me: I see a too tall stopper every time I look at the thing. But I also need to keep things in perspective. There is *a lot* of stuff I pay for and obtain for the production--from flat screen monitors for the bridge to hundreds of yards of costume material dyed to proper Bill Theiss color fomula specifications, to plane tickets and lodging for our guest stars, to, well, so much more. So yes, better stoppers will probably have to wait--but they are on my To Do list. They're just way at the bottom.
Wow, talk about devotion! Is any of that tax deductible, since this is a non-profit operation? In any case, I hope the joy you get out of it makes it all worth while. :)

So yeah, give yourself a break and ignore the stopper. Don't even let it enter your peripheral vision. ;)

Well, this next little goodie was only in one episode--and it was the pilot episode at that: "Where No Man Has Gone Before." In the very first scene of "Where No Man Has Gone Before," in the Recreation Lounge, Captain Kirk and Mister Spock are playing three dimensional chess. In the background, some extras are engaged in a variety of recreational activities. In some shots, you can see some books on the tabletop. (Reading will always be a pleasant way to pass some leisurely hours.) You can see a three dimensional checker board (which I'll get into in some other post). But you also see a translucent cube-thing over Kirk's shoulder. Here's the best shot of it from the actual episode:
2485872741_08724554fa.jpg
There's actually another picture of it in a publicity shot that was taken during the filming of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that appears in the book The Making of Star Trek by Stephen E. Whitfield and Gene Roddenberry. It's a little better, but not much:
2486675856_8b2f7dd4e5.jpg
So what is this translucent cube-thing that is probably recreational in nature? (It was just seen in this one episode.) Well, it's a Milton Bradley game/toy called "Try-it." It's a three dimensional, clear plastic cube-like maze. You place a marble in the hole on one side and you hold the cube in your hands and you keep flipping the thing around ninety degrees and rattling it, hoping to maneuver the marble through the maze, and ultimately at some point to extricate the marble and get it to come out the hole on the other side eventually. The game of the future is here--today! Such 23rd Century fun! Here are some shots of my 1959 vintage "Try-it" maze:
2485856559_d7c04405cf.jpg
2485856739_119f3bfbe1.jpg
2485856799_ed59f0274a.jpg
You can also find a web page that analyzes the maze pattern of the "Try-it" maze here: http://www.roarbush.com/mb3dmaze/index.htm So, it's not one of the more spectacular Star Trek props, but then, not all of them are. Slide show is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/sets/72157605018953115/show/

Oh man! I used to have one of those when I was a kid...never knowing it was in Trek!!! DOH!!!!

Okay, so I clearly couldn't stop with just the yellow decanter.

In addition to the decanter with the yellow stuff in it in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield," there is another decanter with some greenish stuff in it. It's on the table in front of Mister Spock over at screen right:

3234718021_c1f34c94f9.jpg

You can also see it in that high bird's eye view shot of the room:

3234718057_776fd6a176.jpg

But perhaps the best shot of it is in the two-shot of Captain Kirk and Commissioner Bele:

3239248818_25c80ee45d.jpg

So here's my vintage decanter. I have no idea who made it or what it might have originally contained.

3238409341_df5a2df7c4.jpg

3238409381_3dcf9f3b95.jpg

Not much commentary on this item. Like the other yellow decanter, It just has the one appearance, so there's not much to say.

(Oh, and yes, this decanter was also missing it's stopper, so it's plagued by the same not-quite-right stopper problem that plagues the earlier decanter.)

Aesthetically, I prefer the one with the green liquid in it. But they're both quite nice.

Well, what I find interesting is that the gold, slightly olive color of the liquid in the first bottle recapitulates almost exactly the color in Captain Kirk's shirt. But the green is indeed a nice emerald green. Between the three bottles on the table (the gold, the green, and the tall blue), they must have looked really nice on a color TV 40 years ago. Heck, they look nice today.

That's a good point about the color catching Kirk's tunic - and I agree about them looking good both then and now. ;)

Nice crystal ware. Although all I can think of is didn't that ship get tossed around all the time. Who's job would it have been to sweep up all the broken glass...?

Nice crystal ware. Although all I can think of is didn't that ship get tossed around all the time. Who's job would it have been to sweep up all the broken glass...?

Too easy. Not glass -- transparent aluminum!

In order to complete my hat-trick on the "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" bottles, here are some shots of the tall blue bottle that we see in front of Commissioner Bele:

Like with the other bottles, you can see it in that high bird's eye view shot of the room:

3234718057_776fd6a176.jpg

But perhaps the best shot of it is in the two-shot of Captain Kirk and Commissioner Bele:

3239248818_25c80ee45d.jpg

So here's my tall blue bottle--with a cork stopper. It's a Galliano bottle.

3241782313_fca1aea91c.jpg

(Actually, I think it still needs to be a bit darker--almost indigo. I think I still have it too Windex-y.)

Throw in a few bud vases (used as tall, futuristic drinking glasses):

3241782381_2f23dce16d.jpg

...and you've got yourself an elegant "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" drinking set.

3241782241_bb20a2a401.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back