Props Re-used

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Neroon, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yours appears to have a taller stopper.

2. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that too.

3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Boy, you're a tough crowd.

Yes, the decanter was located but without its original stopper. (Grrrrrrr.) So it cost a hundred bucks--almost more than the decanter itself, but one had to be fabricated from scratch. I'm afraid the glass cutter/blower guy didn't get the measurements exactly right by working from just screen caps. It's a little too tall and not quite wide enough in diameter. Also, it's hard to see but it has six facets instead of the proper four. (It's basically a pyramid.) It's just so hard to find good glass workers nowadays.

If I get a chance, I may have the stoppers redone (again). Low priority for me.

But getting the stopper right on a decanter does show the detail we have to go through in order to pass muster with Star Trek fans.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't even bother with getting a new stopper. Nobody will notice unless they take screen grabs from the original series and from ST:P2 and make a nitpicky comparison. Gregg, I think you're the only one with the perseverance to do it, so unless you need to satisfy your own need for perfection... ;)

5. GSchnitzer

Well, I am a bit of an anal-retentive obsessive compulsive guy when it comes to these props. Believe me: I see a too tall stopper every time I look at the thing. But I also need to keep things in perspective. There is *a lot* of stuff I pay for and obtain for the production--from flat screen monitors for the bridge to hundreds of yards of costume material dyed to proper Bill Theiss color fomula specifications, to plane tickets and lodging for our guest stars, to, well, so much more. So yes, better stoppers will probably have to wait--but they are on my To Do list. They're just way at the bottom.

6. Praetor

Yeah, even so I wouldn't really bother getting a new stopper unless you feel it's absolutely necessary.

So some clumsy yeoman dropped the original and Kirk had to get a new one? Big deal. ;)

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, talk about devotion! Is any of that tax deductible, since this is a non-profit operation? In any case, I hope the joy you get out of it makes it all worth while. :)

So yeah, give yourself a break and ignore the stopper. Don't even let it enter your peripheral vision. ;)

8. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh man! I used to have one of those when I was a kid...never knowing it was in Trek!!! DOH!!!!

9. GSchnitzer

Okay, so I clearly couldn't stop with just the yellow decanter.

In addition to the decanter with the yellow stuff in it in "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield," there is another decanter with some greenish stuff in it. It's on the table in front of Mister Spock over at screen right:

[​IMG]

You can also see it in that high bird's eye view shot of the room:

[​IMG]

But perhaps the best shot of it is in the two-shot of Captain Kirk and Commissioner Bele:

[​IMG]

So here's my vintage decanter. I have no idea who made it or what it might have originally contained.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much commentary on this item. Like the other yellow decanter, It just has the one appearance, so there's not much to say.

(Oh, and yes, this decanter was also missing it's stopper, so it's plagued by the same not-quite-right stopper problem that plagues the earlier decanter.)

10. Praetor

Aesthetically, I prefer the one with the green liquid in it. But they're both quite nice.

11. GSchnitzer

Well, what I find interesting is that the gold, slightly olive color of the liquid in the first bottle recapitulates almost exactly the color in Captain Kirk's shirt. But the green is indeed a nice emerald green. Between the three bottles on the table (the gold, the green, and the tall blue), they must have looked really nice on a color TV 40 years ago. Heck, they look nice today.

12. Praetor

That's a good point about the color catching Kirk's tunic - and I agree about them looking good both then and now. ;)

13. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice crystal ware. Although all I can think of is didn't that ship get tossed around all the time. Who's job would it have been to sweep up all the broken glass...?

14. deck5

deck5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Too easy. Not glass -- transparent aluminum!

15. Praetor

Invented by a Dr. Nichols in 1986, I believe... ;)

16. GSchnitzer

In order to complete my hat-trick on the "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" bottles, here are some shots of the tall blue bottle that we see in front of Commissioner Bele:

Like with the other bottles, you can see it in that high bird's eye view shot of the room:

[​IMG]

But perhaps the best shot of it is in the two-shot of Captain Kirk and Commissioner Bele:

[​IMG]

So here's my tall blue bottle--with a cork stopper. It's a Galliano bottle.

[​IMG]

(Actually, I think it still needs to be a bit darker--almost indigo. I think I still have it too Windex-y.)

Throw in a few bud vases (used as tall, futuristic drinking glasses):

[​IMG]

...and you've got yourself an elegant "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" drinking set.

[​IMG]

17. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

That's awesome. :)

18. Praetor

Excellent. Pass the Romulan ale. ;)

19. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not driving...lemme have one of each!

Doug

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the bottles were made of transparent aluminum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.