Props Re-used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently there may be some kind of communications frequencies that navigators need to monitor, too. We saw navigator Lieutenant Dave Bailey (played by Anthony Call) with an earpiece in "The Corbomite Maneuver:"

2109999325_2498f9c0bb.jpg

Interesting thing about that: according to Justman/Solow in their book "Inside Star Trek," in early drafts of "The Corbomite Maneuver" Dave Bailey was the communications officer. For one reason or another Lloyd Haynes was not going to return as a recurring character in that role, so for purposes of at least this script it was an open position for the guest star. When Nichols was cast as Uhura, Bailey became the navigator.

Presumably some of the communications action Bailey had was considered important enough to his storyline - being the first to hear Balok's message but not react professionally and appropriately to it, for example - that the notion of Balok using the navigational sensors to communicate ("A message coming over my navigation beam...") was invented.

That's interesting. It might have actually been a stronger episode for the Bailey character if that were the case, but then again I do love any excuse to have Uhura there.

That actually explains why Uhura's dialog is almost 100% "hailing frequencies open, sir". Nichelle always looks bored in this one, can't say I blame her.

/I've said it b4, but this is a fantastic thread.

That actually explains why Uhura's dialog is almost 100% "hailing frequencies open, sir". Nichelle always looks bored in this one, can't say I blame her.

/I've said it b4, but this is a fantastic thread.

If anyone is interested, here are Lieutenant Uhura's lines from "The Corbomite Maneuver:"

UHURA: I'm getting no signal from it, sir.
UHURA: Hailing frequencies still open, sir. I get no message from it.
UHURA: Hailing frequencies open, sir.
UHURA: Switching, sir.
UHURA: Hailing frequencies, sir.
UHURA: A signal, Captain. It's very weak. It's Balok. It's a distress signal to the Fesarius. His engines are out. His life-sustaining system isn't operating. The message is repeating, sir.
UHURA: Negative, sir. The signal is growing weak. Sir, I doubt if the mother ship could have heard it.

During the shooting of this episode, Nichelle Nichols made a comment along the lines of: "If I have to open hailing frequencies one more time, I'm going to blow up this ******* panel!"

I think this came out of David Gerrold's book :The Trouble With Tribbles", but it may have been "The Making of Star Trek" or "Star Trek Lives".

BTW, IMnsHO this is the basis for the "Tawny Madison" character in "Galaxy Quest". ETA: This is a big "DUH!"

Last edited:
Well, it's not quite as ubiquitous as a communicator, phaser, or tricorder, but it almost is.

Dr. McCoy's hypo spray was used in a lot of episodes--not only in Sickbay scenes, of course, but on landing parties, too. (It was one of the pieces of equipment he would carry in his various Medical Pouches.)

The first time we see a hypo spray device is in "Where No Man Has Gone Before:"

3371154321_b2833d62bb.jpg

There are actually two styles of hypo sprayers. The first style (used throughout the first season) is a "sleeve" style injector. The length of the device remains rigid and the device doesn't telescope into itself. Instead, there is a hand-grip sleeve that slides up and down the main shaft of the device. Aside from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," the first regular production episode to use this "sleeve" type of hypo is "The Enemy Within." Mister Spock uses it to inject the "evil" space dog to sedate it in preparation for reintegration with the dog's other half via the transporter:

2204298882_495c5a2026.jpg

The second style of hypo--seen in the second and third seasons--actually telescopes. Ostensibly, it looks nearly identical to the "sleeve" style hypo. It consists of a somewhat pointy "business end," a plunger and a detachable/replaceable vial of "medication" fluid at the rear. Although this is a shot of the first type of hypo, here's a scene from "City On the Edge of Forever" where Mister Spock has removed the vial to find that it is now empty--the entire volume of Cordrazine having just been accidentally injected into Doctor McCoy:

2204318114_d941b5e90e.jpg

Different color fluids were used in different episodes to indicate different medications. We've seen mostly red and orange fluids (probably since red makes them seem dangerous and exciting--but we've seen blues and greens, too).

Selecting the best color for any given shot is probably a joint effort between the property master, the director, the director of photography, and the lighting team--especially in an era where Star Trek Phase II shoots with High Definition cameras. Series continuity plays a role too. I mean, otherwise you end up having the annoying problem (well, annoying to me at least) of seeing Cordrazine be red colored in "City on the Edge of Forever"...

2204298812_8418dab919.jpg

...but then having it be Sunkist/Orange Crush-colored when Nurse Chapel gives Cordrazine to Ensign Rizzo in "Obsession:"

2204298780_837e9020d8.jpg

Grrrrrr! ;)

In addition to the early "sleeve"-style hypo, they had at least three telescoping-style hypos produced. Here's a shot of three of the hypos together from "Return to Tomorrow." It's a little hard to see in this screen grab, but the hypo in Nurse Chapel's hand that contains Sargon's ineffective "metabolic reduction medication" has fluid in it that is indeed a slightly different color (more orange) from Henoch's and Thalassa's more efficacious red fluid.

2204298852_3e36955fde.jpg

At any rate, here are some shots of my reproduction Original Series-era telescoping-style hypo spray:

2204298454_e2a19d9715.jpg

2204298524_56aa361e19.jpg

2203507381_322dff99d6.jpg

2204298624_4c5672303c.jpg

You can see that I have a number of accompanying medication vials of varying colors--whatever meets our cinematic and script needs. It's easy to swap out a red vial, for example:

2203507467_f228508bb3.jpg

...and replace it with a yellow vial.

2203507531_ee9a18e9f3.jpg

There are important medical matters going on in the Phase II episode "Blood and Fire." So our hypo sprays figure prominently in that episode.

Obligatory slideshow is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10901121@N06/sets/72157603748995814/show/

Is there a site to see all of the currently used Phase II props?

Well, there's no specific website for our props per se. (We've been thinking about adding a prop section to our Star Trek Phase II website--and I've been exploring other possible web sites where we could put up some write-ups on our props.)

In the meantime, we do have a bulletin board forum on our Star Trek Phase II web site--much like the TrekBBS forum. I have write-ups on many of our props over on that forum. (In fact, all I've done is grab a few write-ups from over on the Star Trek Phase II forum and re-posted them over here.) There are, of course, a whole slew of write-ups over there that I haven't re-posted over here.

I don't mean to drag business away from the TrekBBS over to our Star Trek Phase II forum, but you're certainly welcome to come over and check out our small forum. All my prop write-ups can be found here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/forum/index.php?board=51.0

Last edited:
Well, it's not quite as ubiquitous as a communicator, phaser, or tricorder, but it almost is.

[...]

2204298454_e2a19d9715.jpg

[...]

Dear Gene, I only want to say one thing to you...
YOU ARE A MADMAN (and I mean that in the most positive sense of the word)!
I am SO impressed by what you are doing... Kudos!

Last edited:
Bottle? What bottle?

All I see is something with beautiful curves.
;)

Btw, I searched through the prop postings over on the ST:P2 website and haven't yet found anything on Dr. McCoy's portable medical scanner (the "salt shaker"). Maybe I've missed it. Is there a writeup on it anywhere? :)

Bottle? What bottle?

All I see is something with beautiful curves.
;)

Btw, I searched through the prop postings over on the ST:P2 website and haven't yet found anything on Dr. McCoy's portable medical scanner (the "salt shaker"). Maybe I've missed it. Is there a writeup on it anywhere? :)

No, I haven't gotten to writing up Dr. McCoy's spinning top medical scanner yet. I try to write up a prop about once each week, but I just haven't gotten to that one yet. The next props I'll probably be tackling (not necessarily in this order) are the medical scanner, the 3D chess set (I might handle the three different styles of chessmen as separate topics), the white sound device (heartbeat reader), the cardiostimulator, the Scalosian weapons, the card reader and the PADD-like log book thing.

No, I haven't gotten to writing up Dr. McCoy's spinning top medical scanner yet. I try to write up a prop about once each week, but I just haven't gotten to that one yet. The next props I'll probably be tackling (not necessarily in this order) are the medical scanner, the 3D chess set (I might handle the three different styles of chessmen as separate topics), the white sound device (heartbeat reader), the cardiostimulator, the Scalosian weapons, the card reader and the PADD-like log book thing.
Sound great, Greg. Looking forward to it. :)

Btw, are you familiar with the remote control that Lord Garth used in "Whom Gods Destroy"? Since viewing your prop recreation thread, I've been taking notice of props when watching TOS episodes. The remote control struck me particularly, because it appears to resemble a hand phaser. This is based on the overall shape, button placement showing suggestion of the energy aspirator, the side rails (gold strips instead of brushed aluminum), and what looks like a raised piece reminiscent of the emitter nozzle (see last image). I found it difficult to get accurate screen captures, but here's a sample of images:

Garth_remote.jpg

Greg, this thread has been fascinating! I've had to come back every few days to see what you've added. I remember making very poor copies of many of these items (out of wood, cardboard, lego, whatever) when we were kids.

Another prop that we had to have as children was the clipboard/pad. Have you got any info on that one?

@Gary7:

Ah! Thanks for the reminder! I do indeed have a Captain/Lord Garth remote control device. That's another one I need to write up soon. (Yes, it's a modified hand phaser.) The original is still around (in the collection of Mr. Greg Jein), so it's been "easy" to make perfect reproductions.

@klh:

Like I said a post or two ago, I'll try to write-up the black clipboard PADD thing with the "magic slate" writing surface and the two blinking lights fairly soon. Patience, Grasshopper!

@everyone:

Strictly speaking, this is the "reused props" thread, so I've refrained from posting about props that were only seen once. There are a lot of those but they would seem to be ourside the scope of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back