Proportional cast representation for season 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by gazomg, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't make her any less Indian.

Alan Roi likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I‘m afraid you are beyond help if you can‘t see how those things are different. Last time I checked straight white males at large were never underrepresented, persecuted, oppressed, forced to undergo treatment or fucking murdered for being straight white males. So how are they even remotely the same?

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nope. More research is required.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you for real?

Longinus, XCV330, serabine and 3 others like this.
  5. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

We're really traipsing into some "reverse discrimination" nonsense here.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Someone has to stand up for the underrepresented, underappreciated straight white male!

:wah:

*Really need a photo of that American Indian with the single tear running down his cheek, from the littering commercials of the 1970's here.

Mary Ann, BeatleJWOL, XCV330 and 3 others like this.
  7. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

This alt left garbage is just as bad as the the alt right garage spewed by the OP.

Seriously do we really have to politise EVERYTHING? Even a TV show beloved by all?

Cant we just enjoy it for what it is? White, black or gay characters alike?

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I'm going to respond to you exactly one more time. In all my interactions with you, I have not got the impression even once that you are actually asking honest questions. I get the impression that you are trying to bait me. Every single time, it was extremely obvious what I meant, so this pretending to only get the semantics of a statement instead of the pragmatics (i.e. pretending to see only the literal, context-free meaning) comes across as rather disingenuous. This kind of tactic is aggressive, fruitless, and pointless (and the "I'm joking" excuse doesn't fly, as it's impossible to tell whether these posts are facetious in nature, rendering any humorous intent utterly moot). I don't feel at all like conversation or clarification are intended, which is the entire point of mucking about in this place. If you want to have an actual dialogue, feel free to start one. Until then, goad someone else. Thank you and bye.

9. ozzfloyd

ozzfloyd Captain Captain

Who was Italian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  10. BillJ

New to Trek? It has been politicized since the 70's.

seigezunt likes this.
  11. Tuskin38

They're not even comparable.

12. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Mary Ann, cultcross, Kemaiku and 3 others like this.
  13. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

You are trying to make this a history class for what SOME white races may have done in the past, something I am not responsible for nor a spokesperson on.
    But this is not about the past, this is about the show discovery having a more balanced crew, despite others using my post as some sort of implement to bash the past and I think straight white males regardless of you thinking they have it easy or not are still not represented

Yes if there are ten humans in the show I would imagine a white straight male would have a spot. I am entitled to ask where they are
    I would definitely expect far more Asians, notably Chinese or Indians as well would I lectured because of that too ?

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Ironically, he was a white male. (Look up Iron Eyes Cody for the full, and quite interesting, story about how an Italian child of immigrants assimilated into Navajo culture—it is NOT a simple case.)

Edit: ninja’d.

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never thought about this before, but perhaps that's part of why DS9 still remains "the dark horse" even though it's possibly one of the best written sci fi series of all times. Possibly even my favourite television program of all time, tbh.

I mean, I have to admit I was sceptical myself at first, but came around to it.

Never seen the actual ads, but I remember the parody in The Simpsons.

TribbleFeeder and seigezunt like this.
  16. Starflight

Starflight Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, look at it this way - of 10 humans, you'd expect maybe 1 or 2 to be white. You'd expect just under half to be male. We've got Stamets, a white male. He happens to also be gay (not sure what the statistics on that are, but you get the idea). There are straight males elsewhere on the ship, like probably Rhys and Bryce. We've also got plenty of white people, like Tilly and Reno. I don't really see the issue with representation when we've got straight males and arguably an over-representation of white people, but not a character who displays all three traits - especially after we've had series leads/co-leads Lorca and Pike displaying those traits.

Putting everything else aside, you probably don't have much to worry about - they've relied on the presence of two presumably-straight white male captains so far.

17. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Your opinion.

Fact is the majority like me sit in the middle and are not either polerised far left or far rightand get sick of back and forth BS like this......

18. BillJ

I just find it a bit hilarious that with a season that hasn't even been written or cast, you have a subsection of fandom wondering where the poor underrepresented white straight male is at?

One season of one show out of eight (and thirteen feature films) either already filmed or are being worked on, doesn't have a white straight male in the cast, yet, and the MRA nuts come crawling out of the woodwork like cockroaches. What a joke.

Mary Ann, Amaris, Nyotarules and 7 others like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Why does the cast need to proportional anyways?

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

What on Earth are you even talking about? I was responding to your untenable statement that the perceived underrepresentation of straight white males in fiction was somehow comparable to gay representation, i.e. people who were and are prosecuted and killed simply for being gay. They are NOT the same thing, as any sane person can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.