Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

We're actually going to keep the carport ceiling, and keep it bright white to help with the overhead lighting. But the gap between the console and the ceiling will be filled with the vented sheathing material used in home construction under the overhangs. It's cheap, it's lightweight and durable, and it'll look like an air conditioning/ventilation system.

Yesterday I met with a fan who's interested in redoing our graphics so that they'll be on acrylic rather than the paper/vinyl appliques. We'll see how that progresses. Didn't get much done construction-wise, but did get the Communications station covered with the service board that we use for panels. After the meeting, Linda and I had to go judge the local Hooters bikini contest. (LOL!!!) Seriously, but don't ask.

Today, we created the structural cross-slats on both Security and Tactical, and after a bowl of Lucky Charms, I'm heading back outside to cover them with the service board.

That'll leave us both turbolifts, the "backdoor" to the Captain's ready room, heads and docking port, as well as the mainviewer in terms of framing and construction.

2. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

i presume you guys are shooting in Georgia, correct?

3. Potemkin_Prod

Yes, we are.

Today's agenda is to finish attaching the service board, and start work on the final two stations.

4. ares93

alright figured maybe i check it out when i'm in the states. but it'll be a pain to ride the bus from maine. and my license isn't valid in the us...
    anyway good luck and i'll be watching :-)

5. Potemkin_Prod

Very, VERY long way from Maine, I'm afraid. We've had visitors from Atlanta, Columbus, Tallahassee, and this weekend Birmingham. That's 3 hours or less for everyone who's visited.

Not much to see for another few weeks either. We're just about to start painting thing black and gray. We don't even have the carpet in yet, and my wife is thinking that we should add an air-conditioning unit to the set.

6. ares93

of course you should! have you ever heard of a starship without life support? besides, no AC in georgia during the summer. bad idea...

7. Potemkin_Prod

we plan on filming after 10pm most nights -- we filmed the Klingon scenes, and it was all right -- we had a couple of huge blower fans to cool it off. We also have an industrial-sized airconditioner on that side of the house. We could open the door and lower the temperature considerably. But as hot as it was yesterday evening while we were working, it might be best to get an extra AC put it for a while.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Your shooting outdoors, right? What are you doing about background noise? Are you planning on doing a lot of ADR?

9. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great planning. Once the bridge is complete and lit for shooting the actors in their full gear will certainly be grateful for good air conditioning.

10. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

PP, You do have a window behind the bridge set don't you? get a cheap-o window unit from Walmart, that way you can keep the set cooler.
    Keep the AC up high during normal filming, then after the ship takes a hit or two, shut the AC down and let it get "warm". Adds to the look.

Nick Meyer used a similar idea when he was filming TWOK, he would have the AC turned off while filming the battle scenes, because he felt that the increase in temp, and the effect it had on the actors, helped the performance. If a ship takes damage, it's very likely that the air circulation system could go down or even seal off segments of the ship to prevent spreading smoke/toxins. That would change, during a high tension moment, does produce a physical response in humans.:techman:

11. lennier1

Walmart? Didn't that South Park episode teach you anything? ;)

12. Data Holmes

Meh, cheap stuff is cheap stuff.;)

13. Potemkin_Prod

Ralph Miller's our sound guy, but the background noise was neglible on the Klingon shoot. Remember, we're shooting at night in a suburban neighborhood. We had a dog bark once. We're also considering dropping a vinyl partition across the carport entrance once we're done. That will help us with both noise and cooling.

Well, honestly it wasn't any planning. Just a suggestion from a chemical engineering wife who loves changing my designs as often as she likes. :)

We're on the same page. :)

Agreed! Thanks for that suggestion, and I'll forward that to the director of photography.

14. Data Holmes

Might also want to let the makeup department in on it if you are going to do it. According to the story, Nick Meyer didn't tell anyone but the electrician who shut it down about it the first time, and they had some... issues with the makeup and it running from the sweating. :lol:

15. lennier1

A tad redundant. It's part of a wife's job description. :D

16. Potemkin_Prod

I did the makeup for the Klingon unit, but I'm not sure who's doing it for the primary shot yet. And even though it was comfortable, I did have to put the Klingon commander's eyebrow back on once.

17. Potemkin_Prod

Dude! You're gonna get your ass kicked. LOL

18. Potemkin_Prod

Just a quick update: We've added a short article and some low-res screen caps from our Klingon shoot to the website. Also added a pic from one of the cast members and a credit or two on our index page.

We've got someone new working on the control panels -- we were having a few too many issues with the appliques, so we're looking at acrylic now.

Tonight, we'll finish the bridge stations, and will be ready to paint them.

19. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow! You're really chugging along! I better start playing catch-up!

20. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral