Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

For what it's worth, we're probably going to delay filming the Klingon bridge scenes this weekend. We've received some interest from folks in appearing as Klingons, and we're seeing if we can work something out.

Today, Producer Ricky Thompson and I met with the local college drama instructor who will help provide us with talent for our episode. It was a VERY positive meeting, and we're excited by the prospect. Several of her students will be cast as bridge officers, and others will help with operating the boom mike, digital video camera, sound recording and even make-up.

Also spoke with the local theatre group's manager, and he's got several recommendations for other actors. Two, in particular, who are a husband & wife team, may be the perfect Klingons for us, but we'll see.

2. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Where is this being filmed again? Did you say in the Los Angeles area??

Rob

3. Potemkin_Prod

LOL No, Albany, Georgia. It's about 200 miles South of Atlanta, 100 miles North of Tallahassee, 150 miles SE from Birmingham, 150 miles NE of Jacksonville. It's Georgia's 5th largest city, but that ain't sayin' much. :D

4. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

This an excellent idea. I'm glad to see someone doing this.

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Let me just throw in (my computer has been down) that the USS Hathaway has been on hold since at least Sept. 2009.

6. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great set pics!

:techman:

7. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks! That bridge is long-since dumpstered, though. Once I moved up to Los Angeles, I didn't have the storage space.

Now, 19 years later, I'm building a similar-but-puppet-sized bridge. I'm hoping that as my project and Potemkin progress, we can advise one another on things that work (and things that don't) to help one another out!

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Hats off to you and others like you mr.sajak. You are the ultimate STAR TREK fan creators because you are creating things in the real physical world like sets and the like. I found my self smiling at each of your pictures, and knowing that someone, somewhere, (you), had taken their time in creating such things. Great job!!!

Rob

9. Potemkin_Prod

No update this weekend. Working hard on both the center console and the elevated platform this week. I really should get a few pics....

10. di_mar

di_mar Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow! I checked out your site and looked at the 'Building the Bridge' pages. It looks thorough and well-planned. Especially the straight forward sketches. And the construction.. well... it looks great so far. You've put loads of effort into this..am looking forward to the result.

11. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks! We've been hard at work all over the place despite a bout of pneumonia that my allergies gave a nice growth medium for...

Anyway, the center console's trim is ready, and we're going to paint it this weekend. The new template for the platform works to within one inch, so we're going with it, and we're cutting the boards for it.

We've been contacted by six actors/actresses who wish to appear in the film. We're meeting with two of them Saturday afternoon, another on Monday. We should have some cast announcements soon.

Our Klingon costumes have arrived, and we're hoping to shoot the Klingon scenes within the next two weekends.

We've gotten interest from another SWGA college, so we're looking forward to having access to even more talented people to help with the production.

We'll probably update our website with pictures on Sunday.

Lastly, due to my illness and real-life complications with our set construction manager, we're realizing that June is just not going to happen and are altering our plans accordingly.

12. Melonpool

Sorry to hear about your delays -- mine's been delayed a bit as well. I had a blood vessel in my eye that needed emergency surgery two weeks ago, so I haven't been allowed to lean over for the last 10 days. Will be able to work on it next weekend however. My eye's fine now -- just ine of those little things that makes life more interesting, as Ozzie Nelson used to say...

13. Potemkin_Prod

Yeah, it's amazing the things that can come up and delay us. Our construction manager had to do some home repair work and dig and new drainage ditch this weekend, so nothing got done for the set.

However, today we cast three local actors in roles for our upcoming production. We're assembling photos and bios for them, and hope to have that information posted by this weekend.

We also plan on cutting the wood for the decking tomorrow evening. Once that's done, we'll be able to assemble one or two sections a day, and that will be a relief.

14. Potemkin_Prod

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Just wondering how high the celling is where your building the bridge set?

16. Potemkin_Prod

Almost 11 feet. We've hung some lights on it, and they'll clear the set by a good 8".

17. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Definitely looking forward to it.

Your first floor plan and an hour of playing with some stock parts in 3ds Max later I'm even more looking forward to your bridge.
    [​IMG]

18. Potemkin_Prod

Wow, that's awesome! We actually finished the flooring of one-third of the bridge tonight, and we're hoping to finish the framing of the elevated platform tomorrow. I'll upload a few pics shortly to our website of what's been done the past few days.

We also experimented with the sectional side panels and have come up with a design that works in terms of heighth and width.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Just a quick update. We've got the entire upper platform decking completed. We've started building and framing the consoles now. Should have some updated pics this weekend.

Have three more actors coming by for auditions Friday and Saturday, with another possibly joining them. It's finals week for some of the cast, so the actors bios will appear at the end of next week.

We're hoping to have an electrician install some accent lights overhead and a carpet guy to tack on some spare carpet onto the decking in the coming few days as well.

I love it when a plan comes together...

20. Melonpool

I sure envy the pace you guys are going! I should be able to put up a couple more sections in the next week or so, but it's so incredibly slow-going when you're the only person building.