Spoilers Prodigy ship revealed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Prodigy' started by NCC-73515, Jul 23, 2021.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

But they're only just slightly raised off the console and are completely opaque. I'm talking about the awful ones used on Picard and every sci-fi movie where the actors just wave their hands around in the air and then some glitchy transparent graphics are pasted over it. Interfaces like that would be unpleasant to use and are a step back from holographic technology already established.

lightspeedbear and jackoverfull like this.
  2. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why doesn’t Prodigy have its own section yet within the BBS..?

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Probably because there's too little to discuss yet. Even this thread about the newest hero ship in STAR TREK has only reached a meager 6 pages.

jackoverfull and saddestmoon like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shows don't usually get their own sub-forum until shortly before they air.

saddestmoon and cooleddie74 like this.
  5. Tuskin38

I think they look cool.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it is one extension of the tech presented. Not sure how it is a "step back" when we have seen holographic displays of some kind, so controls are one way to do it. I would totally use those interfaces.
    Doesn't need it yet.

7. captainkirk

To each their own. I think they're the sci-fi equivalent of those old Winamp and Windows Media Player skins.

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's nice. Kelvin nacelles. I wonder if it came from another universe entirely?

saddestmoon likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

It has a prime universe janeway hologram on board, so probably not.

10. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It's from the Prime Timeline, it just uses some design cues from the Kelvin Timeline.

publiusr, Markonian and saddestmoon like this.
  11. fireproof78

That was what LCARS was like for me when my friend first showed. "Dude, it's so cool!" he said as he tinkered with his LCARS themed Windows 2000 theme. Ugh, that stuff looked so gross.

jackoverfull likes this.
  12. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

The holo-engineers programmed a rock animation with sparks to show the panel is not working as a joke.

danellis and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  13. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

2.5D LCARS nicely shows the transition to full 3D in PIC

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Half the time it's because if they made the graphics opaque it would block the view of the actor's faces as they interact with the interface.

Personally I think holographic and even total touchscreen interfaces dangerous because hey what happens if you lose power? You no longer have any physical controls or any way to manage the ship you're in. There need to be some physical backup controls just because of this type of situation, But in 24th century plus Trek, everything's either a holographic interface or a touchscreen.

lightspeedbear likes this.
  15. fireproof78

Everything in Trek needs a back up. This is not a new problem.

publiusr likes this.
  16. captainkirk

I think the Kelvin-timeline Enterprise strikes a good balance with this. You have mostly touchscreen controls (although their interfaces are less organized than LCARS) and some physical buttons, even a QWERTY keyboard.

ExtremeSail and saddestmoon like this.
  17. fireproof78

QWERTY keyboard is ridiculous to have in there.

Other than that, yes, the Kelvin Trek has one of the better interfaces, beyond TOS.

18. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like what we can see of the ship so far. The LCARS look a in-between version between the nemesis and the Picard ones, which is a nice touch.

By the way, i used to use the LCARS skin of the Mozilla browser many years ago, but the point is that LCARS is a design philosophy, not just a skin, it doesn’t marry that well with today’s guis.

The holographic interfaces seem in every SF movie since minority report always seemed silly to me: it’s uncomfortable enough to use a vertical interface all the time, imagine one you can see trough!

Honestly I’d be surprised physical controls would even be possible on something as complex as a starship.

19. fireproof78

Ok...*imagines*

Cool. Can I have one? This is literally what I have been designing for the past ten years in my own fictional works.
    Tell that to Tom Paris. Or Riker, for that matter.

20. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

there are some transparent displays on sale...and since digitizers definitely work on glass (that’s what the majority of smartphones use) you could in theory have one if you really wanted to.
    But for some reason no major company is offering it...I wonder why!

I don’t think you can control the enterprise or te Delta flyer without the computers be online!

Mind you, I didn’t mean to imply analog controls couldn’t be desiderabile or doable, I meant that doing a fully analog system that can steer the ship without power seems impossible. Even today’s cars only give you very limited steering and braking once you turn them off and keep In mind that you need to use maneuvering trusters or impulse engines to steer a ship and those are very complex systems that would be managed by a computer.