Spoilers Power of the Daleks

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Doctor has been located." I think was mentioned in Day of the Doctor when the War Doctor is blasting his message into a wall, out of sight of the Daleks. Stopping them in their usually exterminations, since the Doctor is priority one. Him being priority one also seems to by why they lose so often. They stop doing whatever it is they are doing to focus on the Doctor.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not exactly. In the end credits, the actors were listed as playing "Doctor Who" and this wasn't changed to "The Doctor" until the Davison era. Curiously, Eccleston was also listed as playing "Doctor Who" though all the other modern day Doctors have been listed as "The Doctor." Also, the Doctor is actually referred to as "Doctor Who" in dialogue repeatedly in The War Machines.

3. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

The change back the The Doctor was at David Tennant's request. If you watch the InVision commentary version of The Christmas Invasion, he's credited as Doctor Who.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Schedule change: BBC America has moved its showings of "The Power of the Daleks" to 11 PM Eastern both tonight and next week, and possibly beyond. Maybe the ratings weren't great at 8:25.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

People got tired of waiting a week for another 25 minutes of story!!

Mr Awe

6. Christopher

What, they've never watched a sitcom? If anything, it's more likely the crude animation would turn viewers off, or that the black-and-white format would. Maybe the time slot itself was the problem -- starting 5 minutes before the half-hour is awkward and makes it easy to miss the beginning, but starting at the hour and running 5 minutes long works better.

7. Mr Awe

You could be right. But, so could I. Or, maybe we both are to an extant? Tuning in for a half hour sitcom is very different than a serialized drama. It's aggravating having to spread out about 2 hours of screen time over 5 weeks. I spend part of each episode just remembering who's who! I'm sure the animation doesn't help.

Actually, I am enjoying watching it. It's still a great story. But, I'd much rather watching it all in one go. It's basically a movie length story so very doable in one sitting. They could've also split it into halves.

Mr Awe

8. Christopher

But tuning in for a serialized drama with 25-minute chapters isn't that different from tuning in for a serialized drama with 42-minute chapters, as most weekly TV series are these days. I just don't accept the premise that once-a-week episodic television is some anomalous thing that viewers are alienated or confused by. It's the other way around -- that's still the normal way of watching commercial television, even if binge viewing is becoming increasingly popular among people who watch online or on home video.

And of course, these episodes were originally written with the expectation that they would be seen once a week. Viewers 50 years ago were able to keep track of the characters well enough in that format. And it doesn't hurt that they're literally wearing nametags.

Pindar likes this.
  9. Mr Awe

It's the short duration of each part that is the problem--at least for me. There's a reason other dramas don't take this format nowadays. Or, do you think it'll make a comeback?

Mr Awe

10. Christopher

What I think is that there have been lots of different entertainment formats over history, and if you can't accept anything outside a narrow range of tolerances, then you're just limiting yourself. Where will you be 30 years from now when society has moved on to another different preferred format? Adaptability is good.

11. Mr Awe

I don't see drama moving back to 25 minute episodes. And, you're overreaching here by suggesting that I "can't accept anything outside a narrow range" or that I'm not adaptable! I'm not limiting myself, just stating my preferences. I even said that I was still enjoying the story.

Please don't think you can magically infer those things just because I said that I'd prefer to watch the story all at once or split in halves. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Mr Awe

12. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I was brought up on Who and weekly 25 min episodes, no video recorders yet, no rewatching a missed episode in any way, but streaming, boxsets and video's, dvd and BRay have all made that world seem alien now, how did we ever cope with one 25 min episode on a Saturday evening.......Basil Brush that is how. Lol

Pindar likes this.
  13. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With some rumors saying the animating further lost episodes might go for production order, in other words possibly making The Highlanders next, are there any stories that you think they may not do?

For instance, I can't imagine them doing The Underwater Menace, especially after the whole dissapointment from the latest release. Its not a top seller, or even well-regarded as a matter of fact, and the DVD might be them washing their hands off of it basically. Similarly, do you think they might do, even if it may be the last one, The Space Pirates? I dunno about you, but despite being a Robert Holmes story, its one of the worst DW stories out there, and definitely not missed in the expansive DW library of episodes.

What do you think? Also, if you think this should be a thread of its own, say so and I'll delete this post.

14. Emperor-Tiberius

I mean, personally, I'd love if they really did go on with it chronologically speaking, and just finished season 4 with Evil of the Daleks, with The Smugglers thrown in for good measure as a breather for the next project. That way you could get the first fully complete season of the Hartnell/Troughton eras.

From then on, they could decide where to go - forward with Troughton, or go big with the Hartnells and go forward from there.

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Marco Polo's the obvious next one. It's the first missing Hartnell story, one of the most highly-regarded and sought after, and (with The Reign of Terror now patched by animation) the only missing part of Season 1. Do that one and you can bundle the whole season into a Blu-Ray box-set (focusing on the medium's storage capacity as opposed to picture quality) and cash in big time. Two pieces of The Crusade to do and then you can have Season 2 ready as a followup in short order. From there, things get tricky...

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While not a bad idea, it does mean we're only going to get Troughton for the time being. Which I am of course cool with, but I don't what Hartnell to be forgotten either.
    Meh, Robert Holmes is Robert Holmes. Even his crap scripts are still good.

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rumour not withstanding, I'd be astonished if any follow-ups weren't Evil and Wheel, or (if focussing on full missing stories) Macra Terror.
    Monsters. Ideally, big name monsters with their name in the title.

18. Emperor-Tiberius

I'm just saying, Highlanders is a standard four-parter that is the link between the released Power and Underwater Menace. From then, they could do Macra Terror and Evil easily.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope they do Highlanders. I mean, I'd be happy with them animating any of the missing stories, but Jamie's introduction is one I especially want to see.

Pindar likes this.
  20. Mr Awe

If they do more mostly/completely animated stories, and I really hope they do, I don't think things such as completing seasons or production order will be on their minds. Sales will be on their minds and I agree with diankra, probably Evil or Wheel.

I think pure historicals will be low on their list of priorities.

Mr Awe