Playmobil USS Enterprise 1701 - 42 inch playset

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by saddestmoon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

They call us a dying demographic…and go back to making dogs that poop play-dough and pimple-popping games. If I were an Internet billionaire, I’d give back to my fellows by investments in space toys…

pengbuzz likes this.
  3. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Well I so want this but you all know $500 US and import duties and transport well over $1000 Aussie Dollars.
    I'm strongly suspecting it wont happen though.
    Yes if they had a a smaller shuttle or something I'd get.
    I love the chairs.

saddestmoon and publiusr like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks super fun.

saddestmoon and Phaser Two like this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pics seem to indicate that this is aimed more toward adult collectors, rather than kids.

Edit: the text of the article makes the same observation!
    Kor

7. fireproof78

I noticed that as well. But, what I really like is that as a display model it could work very well. The stand is nicely constructed. the ship itself appears well made and while I normally don't care for collector items I do think this does well to be displayed without appearing as a toy.

8. NCC-73515

Since they changed the Spock figure to give it ears, they should've removed the smile as well... now we're getting Cage Spock only XD

9. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What would you do with some of your money if instead you were a transportation billionaire or steel billionaire or a real estate billionaire? :hugegrin:

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Give it to the folks here! I wish I could have gotten Thomas Sasser some better doctors than these Alabama quacks. I would have taken him to Bethesda and bought the damn hospital

11. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NCC-73515 likes this.
  12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

“What the hell is this?” Points

“Just keep smiling…gotta pay for these fake teeth somehow…see ya at the beach”

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's the official product page:
    https://www.playmobil.us/star-trek---u.s.s.-enterprise-ncc-1701/70548.html
    A couple of the pictures look different than those in the other links, but I don't think they really reveal anything new.

The Trek Collective article with the marketing photos seems to show the app on the tablet doing some quiz and trivia stuff. According to the official product info (and also the Entertainment Earth page in the original post), the app will let you control the lights and sounds of the ship from your device.

Kor

saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I do not have an interest in an adult collectible based on a brand aimed at very young children, but its always telling that there's still a thriving market for TOS-based items, despite the belief that TOS consumers have "aged out". Some forget that TOS has a dedicated fan base across several generations who are ever ready to spend money on many a TOS item.

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See, the bridge is not at a funny angle and the turbo lift is in the center!

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

17. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

It’s odd to me that aside from Eaglmoss ship collection, that almost everything else is from TOS, one would think there would be enough nostalgia for more TNG items as well.

That being said even the TOS collectibles are a strange mix: it’s about 25% cool items, what seems like 50% tchotchkes for old people and 25% random things like this Playmobil set, who I’m not sure who exactly it’s supposed to appeal. When I was a kid during the 70s Playmobil didn’t really exist yet, so it isn’t like “ooo, I used to play with Playmobil and always wanted a Star Trek set!”

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  18. NCC-73515

Their DeLorean is pretty cool for adults as well

19. fireproof78

This one appears to be to appeal to both collectors as well as people my age who did grow up with Playmobil and TOS on VHS/reruns. I think the goal is two demographics.

As for TNG I have not seen that sell quite as well as TOS.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently, TNG is not held as high in the minds of those who produce items based on licensed properties. As I recall, even at the height of TNG merchandising in the 1990s, TOS items were still produced in what appeared to be greater volume, and always sold well. It would interesting to browse 1990s toy industry and other 90's business charts that itemized by subject to see how both subjects sold. Since that time, TNG has the most product visibility with model kits and die-cast ship replicas, while TOS is routinely turned into everything from the higher-end adult collectible (the Wand company's prop replicas, 1:350 scale models of the 1701, and now the Playmobil Enterprise, etc.) all the way down to Hot Wheels and reissued Mego figures at retail. TOS is in a merchandising world all its own.

With Playmobil, they must be going after the mid Gen-Xers who grew up with Playmobil (which launched in 1974) in the 70s and 80s--and were the next generation (pun not intended) to discover TOS at at time when it was not only in heavy syndication, but the series was a major success on home video starting in the early 80s. It was everywhere, so for members of that end of Gen-Xers who grew up as TOS fans, the Playmobil 1701 might be right up their alley.