Playmates Toys

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by captainjellico, Aug 13, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, when they made in the 60s they probably did assume you were right handed ;)

2. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Who knew my last post would be prophetic.

Found the figures at 1 of the 2 Targets I stopped at today. They had 1 each of the TNG and Disco figures and 2 each of the WoK figures. No sign of the phaser or the Enterprise.

Picked up Spock, Kahn, Data and Riker. Paint jobs on Picard, Saru and Burnham looked kinda crappy so I passed for now.

and they were in the TOY section next to the wrasslers. Not over in collectibles.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Smart.

4. Paul755

Honestly, I think they fit in either section. I’m just happy to finally see them on the shelves.

The Target app still says you will receive Spock by 9/15 if you order now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  5. Bynar0110

Bynar0110 Captain Captain

I owned a ton of the figures and playsets. Still have a few stored away.

brandnewfan likes this.
  6. Paul755

Seeing it up close, making Kahn’s hair a separate piece from the head was a weird choice. It make it look like he’s wearing a wig.

Surprised that Spock’s oversized gloves are a very soft plastic.

Very weird that Data has such small hands but very cool that the tool case Riker comes with still opens and you can store the PADD in it like before.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Sakonna likes this.
  7. Paul755

had to pick up a perscription at Target on my lunch break. Stopped in at the toys, no Trek. Went over to the collectables section…2 Kirks, Spock’s and Kahn’s.

so maybe it’s gonna be a store to store thing.

publiusr and Ryan Thomas Riddle like this.
  8. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I’ve held off ordering any of these because I’ve been wait to see the next TOS/TNG/etc wave. I’d like some assurance they’re going to at least attempt to produce all of the main crews before I get on board.

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I get the sense the releases are more "greatest hits"; I doubt we'll get anything close to a complete set for any series other than Prodigy.

10. Paul755

I’d be more concerned that we haven’t heard about a second wave than I would be about getting a complete crew. But that could be because of the delay in getting the first wave into stores and wanting to see sales numbers.

That said I would hope they at least try. The easiest to do would be the original and TNG crews but it may take getting other versions of Kirk/Spock/Picard/Data, etc…to justify making Checkov, Sulu, Bev Crusher and Geordi (for example).

using wave 1 as a template, wave 2 might have Kirk in the away jacket from WoK with McCoy and Uhura in the Monster Maroons. Then Picard in his “captains jacket” with Worf and Beverly.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Surely everyone who wants them has about three different sets each of the TOS and TNG crews?

I know that's what sells, but I'd hope they'll be a bit more creative in future waves.

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I'd bet a second wave will be more like TOS Kirk, Spock and McCoy; DS9 Sisko, Worf, and O'Brien, plus LD Mariner and Boimler.

Tomalak likes this.
  13. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

well, I have the original playmates versions, but they are pretty beat up!

I'd be happy with this plan.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  14. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really want a new Troi.

I think I must still be carrying this from the first wave way back when. I remember hunting for that initially-impossible-to-find Troi figure! And what a thrill when I finally was successful.

15. Bynar0110

Bynar0110 Captain Captain

Off Topic, but I would love to see Micro Machines rerelease Star Trek ships, especally the large collector sets.

saddestmoon and shapeshifter like this.
  16. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think MM has no chance to compete with with all those Eaglemoss ships

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Micro Machines did a better job of window alignment.

Tomalak likes this.
  18. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

The level of detail they gave these much smaller ships was certainly amazing - I didn't get the Oberth or Runabout from EM because I'm happy with the MM versions :D

19. Paul755

I bet they lay off the TOS versions of Kirk, Spock, etc… if they decide to do SNW figures. And I would expect they will given that it’s arguably the most popular of the new shows. And I’d be fine with that if it means we get monster maroon versions of Sulu, Uhura and Bones since we never got them in the original line.

oh man, I remember being a kid trying to hunt that Troi down. My mom must have taken us to every WalMart, Target, Toys R Us, KB Toys, etc…within reasonable driving range to find one that summer.

Sakonna likes this.
  20. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I remember when Troi came out and I got one at the store, one of the stock boys tipped off my Dad that they were rare so we got a second one to keep in the box. It's... somewhere? I haven't actually ever tried looking for it, but there are only so many places in my folks' house that it could be.