Pine modeled his Kirk after Han Solo?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Rat Boy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

:guffaw::rommie: Beat me to it!!! :thumbsup:

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's certainly the implication we've gotten about Kirk. And it makes for a more interesting contrast with the older Kirk since the usual pattern is for someone young to be irresponsible and 'grow up.' I'd prefer the reverse.

Why did Kirk venture into space? Because that's the career path for a Starfleet graduate/overachiever. It would be interesting if going into space was what changed Kirk and started him on the path to being less of a wound-up tight-ass. A Kirk who stayed on Earth would have been a different man.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

^ Exactly. I don't really buy the Hans Solo parallel at all. But who knows? Maybe they are throwing all we know about early Kirk out the window.

You'd like to think that going into space and coming into contact with a variety of cultures would change Kirk for the better - make him less of an, as you say, 'tight-ass'. That is certainly what I have always felt about Kirk up until this point. And it is what I have thought about Sisko too, for that matter.

Hopefully they will keep that aspect of him. But who knows?

The bottom line is that this needs to be a really focused and compelling film...and if certain aspects of canon are compromised...well, those are the breaks.

6. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Maybe Pine's just not steeped in science fiction lore, and Han is the first cool character that came to mind.

7. steveman

steveman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

... and all your examples are from the movies, when Kirk was an older man.

Pine is playing Kirk when he was young; a version of Kirk even younger than the one we saw in TOS. Big difference.

8. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Pine needs to model his performance after anyone, it should be Shatner.

But far better for Pine to create his own characterization, and not rely on any other actor's performance.

9. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Wars in Trek...I would have loved it.

Imagine the tribute holodeck adventure Harry and Tom could have had. Would have been cheesy golden goodness.

10. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As is made plain by your ignoring the bait--no, wait...

Anyway, no one knows more about baiting than you, Dennis. You are the master.

11. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

The master baiter.

12. Brutal Strudel

That juvenile pun never occured to me.:angel:

:cool:

13. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I aim to please. :bolian:

14. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I tend to think of Solo more as a younger Chris Pike. <shrug> Might just be me who sees that, though.

15. Brutal Strudel

I'd say, if any Trek characters of note were Solo-esque, they would be Gary Mitchell, who had Solo's predatory scoundrel charm (his "wooing" of Dr. Dehner is very similar to the way Solo "woos" Leia in TESB--though he bocomes a total chump wrapped around her pinkie in ROTJ), Khan for the same reason and--and I'm serious here--Harry Mudd, who was also a criminal dealing in contraband drugs. (I assume "spice" is a drug in the SW universe since it is one in the Dune universe from which Lucas lifted it and much of Tatooine.)

Kirk's methodology with women was seldom as assholish as either Solo's or Mitchell's. Indeed, the only time I can recall him treating a future conquest as anything less than a lady* was in "Elaan of Troyius" and he was trying to "tame" her, not screw her. She delibeartely turned the tables on him by dosing him with her tears.

*Sure, he decked Shahna but it was in the line of duty. And he slept with the slave on the Roman planet, which is technically rape... damn, maybe Janice Lester had a point. :D

16. TheCanon72

TheCanon72 Lieutenant

Oh...My...God!!!! :scream::mad:

George Lucas Raped My Childhood!!!! tm :scream::mad:

Mmm... wait a minute.

...why should I be ticked off :confused::wtf:

Oh... Pine won't be Kirk tm enough.

Maybe he should have sex with The Shat tm?

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? No knee-jerk overreacting based on what you personally believe Star Trek should be like and anyone who disagrees with you is a loser? You're on the wrong board. :p

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah he should have said Mal Reynolds and then we'd all go oooo, he's so cool.

Alternatively, it would cause a humongous shitstorm. Either would be good.

19. Brutal Strudel

Had he said Horselover Fat or Kris Kelvin or Paul Atreides (or Billy Pilgrim, even), I'd be donning a short skirt and shaking my pom-poms right alongside the rest of the "This'll be the best Twek evah!" crowd.

(I'd hate to say what I'd do had he said Omar Little or Travis McGee--I'm not as cute as Ashley Dupre but, like Avis, I try harder.)

20. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

:guffaw:

Well, so much for enjoying this cup of coffee...part of which is now sprayed onto my keyboard. :lol: