Pine and Quinto sign on for 4th Star Trek film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by VOODOOXI, Jun 26, 2015.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So far, the territory has been explored with Beverly Hills 90210 style dialogue and performance. And I'm not getting my hopes up, seeing how absolutely cringeworthy the romances in Justin Lin's Fast & Furious were.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I always thought it was clear that the writers on Enterprise watched "Amok Time" very closely and understood it.

At the time that T'Pring and Stonn hatched their plan, they couldn't have known that Spock would be accompanied by Kirk. T'Pring improvised when she saw an opportunity.

Lin and others have been doing good character work on the Fast & Furious films. I'm looking forward to what he brings to Star Trek - maybe the gang will start acting a little more human.

3. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

ouch I wont compare the S/U romance to 90210:lol: really I won't. actually the romance was well written in the first film and had an impact in the story. watching star trek 2009 and seeing spock and uhura scenes I got a fantasy medieval type of feeling like lord of the rings with king aragon of gondor and the elf princess. watching star trek into darkness , I did not know what was going on. its like the writers did not know what to do with them or the writers did not want to give them much time and space to let their relationship grow.

And yes Lin does not give me hope as I despise most of the romance we see in all those fast paced action summer films like transformers and fast and the furious . it is usually shallow, generic and has some of the lame ass sex and make out scenes you can ever come across in films. so I hope Lin writes a traditional romance for s/u. that is how it should be written since uhura comes us as quite a conservative person and spock is vulcan . which means it will be out of characters to see them have sex on top of a car like you see in the fast and furious films and that is why I call those romances generic and shallow.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spend a lot of time watching Beverly Hills 90210, have you?

5. Serveaux

"90210" is just what people say about that so-gross smoochie-kissy stuff when they don't have a real criticism to make. The reference is at least a decade past its sell-by date (as is, in fact, the expression "past its sell-by date" :lol:).

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

In fact, romance has been part of STAR TREK since Day One. Remember Pike and Vina? Gary Mitchell and Elizabeth Dehner? McCoy mooning over Nancy Crater?

7. Serveaux

It's not as if TOS generally did romance well. For all the praise that Fontana gets, her romantic and family storylines tended toward tv soap opera and paperback romance tropes that don't compare well with, oh, 90210. ;)

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Y'know, I'd like a crew shakeup that still stars the Big 7. IV split the crew into teams and everyone got more to do than the last couple movies as a result. And true of Sulu's captaincy in VI -- while he got the least screen time (IIRC), he was still pretty integral, perhaps moreso than Chekov who stayed on board.

For the various Trek shows, I liked unlikely pairings, but it could afford to do that because of the format. For a movie, that's riskier, but frankly it could work for a movie.

9. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

hey, I liked beverly hills 90210 :lol:

I really wouldn't compare the trek romance with that. For the most part, it's so understated (but touching and effective) and dignified that I wouldn't even compare it to most of romantic subplots in this genre either.
    and I actually liked the scene from stid where they are arguing in front of Kirk, and Spock makes that speech and, finally, the movie addresses the fact that in the other movie he just saw his planet imploding and his mother die.
    I think Spock's arc in stid suffers from the fact that the writers almost forgot about making a proper sequel, in my opinion at least, of the first movie and show the actual aftermath of the vulcan diaspora like I expected them to do, tbh. The comics basically made a better job dealing with his PTSD and survivor guilt than the movie did which is unfortunate because it had potential and people shouldn't need to read the comics to fully understand what's up with Spock.
    The first movie seemed to almost imply that their relationship is perfect in the sense that she's super understanding of the fact that he's a vulcan, and you get a hint that he is open with her in a way you don't see when he's interacting with others. It was obvious, to me at least, that she isn't the only one giving, so to speak, and perhaps she's the one he lets himself be a bit more human with the way that side of him yearns.
    But the thing is, I don't think their relationship can be so perfect because after all it's still a vulcan dating a human and some misunderstandings must occur at times so I like that stid realistically explored that too. I expect them to have the same problems that Sarek and Amanda probably faced and it might be a good pretext for Spock to better understand his own parents too, especially his father. An unique chance that his tos counterpart never got.

anyway, I'm not sure that Pegg is equally able to write a scene like Spock's speech that for me has a lot of depth and kills different birds with one stone..
    I can see Pegg being more the type of scenes like the 'unclear' one but hopefully he stays away from redundant drama and soap opera not only for the romantic subplot but also for the other relationships too.
    I don't expect much character development and depth for anyone in the next movie but as long as it's a fun movie and he stays away from useless drama, I'm fine.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock and Uhura's relationship in the Abrams films was, IMHO, well done. I really do get the sense that they genuinely love each other.

As for T'Pring? No way. She obviously does not love Spock (and probably not even Stonn) and I doubt Spock cared much for her either. Stonn, for all the cold fish that he appears to be, probably does believe that he loves T'Pring though.

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Heh, in 20 years some upstart will say that about nuTrek.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You know, you could have a great scene where Spock and Sarek bond over the challenges of being with a human woman. Done right, it could funny on the surface, but with a genuinely moving emotional subtext as well.

I'd pay to see that.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It could make Sarek uncomfortable to see Spock and Uhura together because it brings back too many memories of Amanda. It would be interesting to see how a Vulcan of Sarek's stature would deal with feelings of loss and a flood of bittersweet memories that are triggered by his son's new relationship. Perhaps he'd rather not talk to Spock about the challenges of dealing with a human woman. Too painful. Too many feelings to repress. It could even drive him away from Spock, essentially putting Uhura between Spock and Sarek.

14. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I confess, one of the very very few things I do NOT like about nuTrek is the Spock/Uhura relationship. But I am an Old Fossil.

Here is one for the "Global Reach of Star Trek" files.

A quarter-page pic and article about Pine and Quinto signing, with info about the production in the paper this morning.

"So What", you say?

This is an Arab newspaper in an Arab country that does not allow many aspects of Science Fiction in its classrooms or Media, and who's more conservative religious leaders and Mufti's still hold sci fi at arms length. It is changing, but slowly.

(Mission to Mars?) "That's a concern for the General Authority of Islamic Affairs & Endowments, or GAIAE, the United Arab Emirates' religious watchdog, for anyone who wishes to travel to Mars. The GAIAE has issued a fatwa, or an official Islamic ruling, to warn Muslims against a Mars mission."

Source: CNN

15. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree it would be great to see a new incarnation of Sarek, and him and Spock discussing their relationships with human women.

SAREK: Like father, like son.
    SPOCK: That is the apt human expression.
    SAREK: It is not only a human expression....

16. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

To return --if even briefly --to the point of this thread....

HOORAY!! :):):)

The TNG/DS9/VOY era is my favorite too. I wish Trek would come back to television in the prime timeline.

But...

This means more TREK. This is fantastic news for the franchise. This means the suits are confident enough to invest in the future of Star Trek. Cheers!

And the adventure continues...

17. M-Red

M-Red Commander Red Shirt

And regardless of my love for "The Inner Light" and "Tapestry," there's no way in the world I'm not thrilled about this news.

If TPTB secured Pine and Quinto, they'll gather around the rest of the cast too. Whatever people want to say about nuTrek, the films have certainly revitalized Star Trek and placed it firmly back into the public consciousness. Even non-die hards (ie. the general audience) are excited about Star Trek. The new films are fun space adventures. People like them for a reason. And we're just starting the 5-year mission in-universe with limitless possibilities.

That's great. That opens up more possibilities for the future and ensures Star Trek will have the chance to continue. Trek will live on. And boldly go.

Very very good news.

And I don't care about the contractual agreement just being an "option." TPTB wouldn't have played that card if they didn't want another one --and potentially more -- and the actors wouldn't have agreed to it if they weren't enjoying the ride too.

Good times ahead. Once again....