Picard's awful romances

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Thomas Elliot, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

See it all of the time, hot girls falling all over themselves for movie stars and sports figures. :lol:
    In fact it's not just hot girls, it's everyone. More so I fear in the USA, people giving free meals to rich and famous, people letting them cut in line at the airport, (I have seen this happen in person) no other reason to let them have a free expensive meal or get in front of the line other than rich/famous.

People want to talk to and be friends etc. with the rich and famous. Yep, doesn't matter if they are stupid, dirty, etc. people want to be with them.
    I'm not sure what country or possibly planet you are from, but that's how it is on Earth, in general.

2. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, no matter how much you insist it's a fact.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  3. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Ummmm - folks. Let's drop it, OK?

4. Mark 2000

I'm not sure what the ethics would be for civilians, because, yes, they still sort of work in areas Picard can control and manipulate. But civilians or not, the captain fraternizing with lower ranks would be an ethical dilemma. If the guy really wants to date and get married he should find someone on space tinder or on leave someplace. Just because it's unfair that his options are limited by the career and appointment he chose doesn't mean it's not right. You know what's never been explored? Long distance holodeck romance. You work, you live life. You go home to a holodeck where your spouse is transmitting their image in realtime and you can talk and cuddle and fool around like they're there, but you're on different ships or planets.

Orphalesion likes this.
  5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I know is Beverly blew her shot at Picard when she kept making over the top breakfast items. There's no coming back from that.

6. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

You're using it wrong. And I never said it was either/or. You projected your own personal bias to insist that women don't find strength, power, and confidence attractive, but if they do it's mostly because they can't have power.

Who said anything about having no personality? Again, you're projecting your own biases and making assumptions. Not to mention I specifically said those would be traits that a woman would find attractive. At first. The implication being if there was nothing beyond those traits she might lose interest. And I never said that those are the only factors that women look for.

Like I said, power, confidence, and accomplishment are attractive qualities in general. It doesn't have to be because women lack political or financial opportunity.

7. Mark 2000

Now you're making this personal by saying I'm "projecting" and that I don't know what the term I'm using means. I don't think you can answer what about myself I am projecting, exactly, especially without becoming truly offensive. But I don't want to get into. Let's just stop now. Thanks.

8. Thomas Elliot

Thomas Elliot Commander Red Shirt

To be fair, you did say I was employing a "gross 20th century stereotype of women wanting to be adjacent to power," and I believe I was just making a counter-argument. I know we got into it in a previous thread, with both of us being snarky and rude. But I quoted you when making this thread as a good will gesture and because I thought you summed up the writer's approach to Picard and romantic interests well and made good points.

But I do understand how posts can either be intentionally rude and offensive or come across as rude and offensive, and it's not a good feeling. Especially considering we just come here to have fun and talk with fellow fans about Star Trek. So I won't be responding any further.

I was checking my alerts and just responded to the last post that quoted me. I didn't see your moderator note till just now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020